Waxing a 5.0TA - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #41

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in Maine View Post
Does anyone have a good ladder or set up that would allow waxing of the roof to be easier? I saw these and was thinking of a U shaped set up.

I've had one of these ladders for about 10 years. They are heavy but very well built. Be careful at first as it takes some getting used to using. Make sure you have double the space you think you need to unfold it. Setting up can be done by yourself, I do, but a second person helping is best. It's a learning experience to use.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah, the roof. I can't reach most of it. Hanging onto the awning with one hand, telescoping brush with the other, knees knocking standing on the ladder. That's the passenger side. IF it gets reasonably clean and big chunks of grunge get scrapped off, I'm happy. No awning on the drivers side. I can't even see the roof standing on the ladder. Is it clean? The only way I know is to go into my house and look down from the 2nd story window. Some reasonable shade of white looks good to me. But you know what? It's my trailer and I kinda like the patina look.
Earlier this year I did mine and lowered the landing gear all the way down. I was able to reach the center of roof using only a 6’ ladder. Wish I had done that the previous 2 times.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:49 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Earlier this year I did mine and lowered the landing gear all the way down. I was able to reach the center of roof using only a 6’ ladder. Wish I had done that the previous 2 times.
Lucky you!
The next house I buy is going to have a minimum 40' flat driveway. HA. I can't unhook (actually don't feel comfortable doing so) in the current driveway. I'm running out of time. I'm going to spray the nose with Turtle Wax ICE. It's what I use on my truck and call it good.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Donna, what is your buffing method, by hand or something else? -Tom
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:02 AM   #45

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I'd been reading Check this out NOT Poliglow...Time will tell.. for a couple of years. It's over 900 posts long, written over nine years. I suggest you start at post 7-800.

When we purchased our 2003 Bigfoot 25' it looked like it had never been waxed; oxidation covered the entire camper. I finally got the courage up, went to Lowes and purchased a gallon of Zep stripper, a gallon of Zep wax, and two cleaning gloves. Did a thorough wash at a fantastic car wash, including going up on the roof (you can walk on a Bigfoot) and cleaning everything. I took the BF back to our seasonal camping site and first applied the stripper with one of the gloves, used a hose to remove the stripper, and towel dried the camper. Then went home (.8 mile) to eat lunch. It was a sunny 75 degree day and the camper was dry when I returned. Started applying the wax with the cleaning glove and it was going on too thick, so I then used a microfiber cloth to apply a thin layer. It took about 30 minutes or so to apply each layer of wax, and by the time I had finished, where I started was dry. In less than 2 hours three coats were applied. NO BUFFING IS NEEDED!

The Bigfoot looked brand new. The next spring we'd made a huge mistake and purchased a 1995 Lance camper (what a disappointment), so we sold the Bigfoot. The buyers were Casita owners and were hesitant to purchase a 15 year old fiberglass camper. They were amazed when they showed up to look at the Bigfoot, because it shined like new. It was bought on site with no price haggling.

The next spring (2019) the owners wife called to inform us her husband has passed away in February and would I sell the Bigfoot for her. We'd already purchased our 5.0, and Terry and I agreed to keep the 5.0 since we had already done modifications that we enjoyed. It was a tough decision though. It had been two years since the Zep was applied and the Bigfoot still looked beautiful. The first buyers showed up and were amazed the gelcoat looked so perfect and that was one of the reasons they bought the Bigfoot.

I still have enough Zep stripper and wax for a number of applications and won't use conventional wax again.

As always, YMMV.

Perry
Old 07-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
Donna, what is your buffing method, by hand or something else? -Tom
By hand. I have a buffer, just have never used it. What needs extra care and effort is the roof and I can't even see most of it let alone use a buffer on it.

I'm trying to get ready to go camping for 9 days, I'm running out of time. Maybe the next time the trailer gets washed, I'll just use a liquid, like the Turtle Wax ICE and spray it all over the roof. I don't care if it doesn't shine so I'll just let it dry without buffing, I just don't want it to get any worse.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
By hand. I have a buffer, just have never used it. What needs extra care and effort is the roof and I can't even see most of it let alone use a buffer on it.

I'm trying to get ready to go camping for 9 days, I'm running out of time. Maybe the next time the trailer gets washed, I'll just use a liquid, like the Turtle Wax ICE and spray it all over the roof. I don't care if it doesn't shine so I'll just let it dry without buffing, I just don't want it to get any worse.
Hi: Donna D... I've got all kinds of time... but I'm running low on NRGee. I have a photographic memory but my film card is full!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
For moderate/heavy oxidation I found a rotary buffer with a wool pad, work well on the roof. Whereas a DA just doesn't cut enough. For the light stuff on the sides a DA is enough. A rotary variable speed buffer/polisher can do a lot of damage if you've no experience. A dual action polisher on the other hand is fairly easy to use.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:47 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Now that we're at the end of page two of the posts, I'll interject this tangent:
Instead of wax, we use Aero 303 (#30313), which actually penetrates the surface pores. After almost 5 years, we think it has preserved the trailer finish in excellent form. It is a formula used by aircraft owners and some boaters here in our So.Calif. county, and is very effective at UV protection.
It's much easier to apply than wax: spray it on, wipe it dry.
Is it hard to switch to Aero 303 after having wax on the trailer? Do you have to remove the wax?
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #50

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Here's what you need, Donna...
Attached Thumbnails
rick-moranis-honey-i-shrunk-the-kids-1989-BPDA45.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I like it!
My dog will too😆
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m thinking rolling scaffold ten feet high that arches over the camper. Rita rides the scaffold and I roll it ahead as she finishes a strip and steps over the trusses. Haven’t broached the concept yet. Still in the contemplative stage.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-20-2020, 12:31 PM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I thought those with a 5.0TA might like to know this. I bought a 1 quart bottle of Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I used all but a tad waxing Ten Forward twice. Next time, I'm buy a 1/2 gallon. Hopefully the Cabana Boy can use it.... still taking resumes for that position.

Seriously, just wanted you to know how much you'd use and how many times.
I must put it on thinner than you - I get 3-4 waxwings of a 21 to a quart bottle of Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax. I put it on by hand with a pad & use an inexpensive Harbor Freight 10" buffer to polish it up.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:35 PM   #54

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Wax on; wax off

Like arniesea, I use a system that allows me to stand on an extendible aluminum scaffold rather than climb and perch on ladder rungs for hours when washing and waxing.

Get high quality, heavy-duty components, though, because gravity always wins if you slip. Mine is rock-solid and easy to climb onto and down from.

Waiting for sale pricing on the ladders and scaffold at a local big-box store made it affordable. It's also great for cleaning gutters and other jobs that require a stable base from which to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Scaffold2Ladders.jpeg  
Old 07-22-2020, 11:27 AM   #55

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Wow....I get 2 waxes out of a quart...but I've been waxing since new. Good stuff!
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #56

Trailer: None
I bought the Little giant ladder from Costco years ago. It allows you to seperate the whole thing and create two small ladders. You can then put a strip of wood on top and use it like scaffolding. I bought the medium height one and should have went with the big one. Either way, it's a great solution for this.

Dan.
DanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am using Little Giant with pool noodles cut to about one foot and sliced down middle to wrap around each leg. That way I can lean it against trailer and be close enough to reach out towards middle of roof. Also, you can use a window washing tool attached to a paint stick.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
That's great!
Old 07-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #59

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Donna, how was the camping?

Good for the soul?
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Donna, how was the camping?

Good for the soul?
Absolutely excellent. Yes, the gathering was different this year... very different. Everyone was careful with social distancing and/or wearing masks. We still were able to visit and laugh, so all good. Feel rejuvenated! I highly recommend people go camping. And remember, you don't have to go far to have fun. You're just not at home.