What are "filler boards" - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
....While the board can be made at anytime, you'd probably want the cushion made of the same upholstery fabric as the rest of the trailer. YMMV
AND, the same dye lot as the rest of the fabric. If you order two pieces of the same fabric a year apart, many times you can see the difference.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #22

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
We have a 2 month old 21 with a u-shaped dinette, no table, one filler board and a stooge table (flip up) on each side. I have a roll-up table I'll use if I need one inside. Also have a pull-out faucet and a larger sink you asked about in another thread. I'm always intending to take picture but seldom do, so I have none at this time. We're in Seattle and are heading to the rally next Wednesday. Let me know if you'd like an in person look at the u-shaped, etc.
Hey Sylvia,

Sent you a PM last night regarding this. Thanks much!

I might bring my waffle iron to see if it fits in the sink.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
This is an example of how it is all about you and your expectations. On our 19', we did not have the U. We are paying $350 for the U. We could use our 19' somewhat as a lounge but that does not work that well without a cushion at one's back. The U takes care of that. Used pillows before. Also we will now get the area that goes across for lounging.

So I am too cheap! to spend on filler boards at $100 each especially when we are $10000 CAD over base price with options and items sent for install. If I want another board, that's actually a mod I can do myself. We bought a yard of fabric at first to see it at our 19' on a cushion (after being surprised on another job by what the fabric looked like --- or did not look like!) That fabric will likely be used for something else though.

One gets to the point on the build sheet where it might be more about taking things off rather than putting them on! And just getting on the road with something that is far past good enough already!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #24

Don't know why this did not come out on my post!
Old 05-21-2015, 04:59 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Yes, the build sheet is getting complicated, and you're correct in that it's more about taking things off rather than adding. Also, one tends to add a lot of options "just in case", or for resell, and it's really being comfortable and getting on the road. We are getting the "U", and using my own fabric, but I will buy a little extra in case I want to made a cushion for a homemade filler board. Having said that, it's important to have ETI do things that will not create a lot of mods down the road as we did on our Casita. It was exhausting.

What do you mean you are getting the area that goes across for lounging? Isn't that a filler board?
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #26

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
What do you mean you are getting the area that goes across for lounging? Isn't that a filler board?
She means you have the cushioned area that across the front (or back, depending on your trailer) of the trailer for sitting on. Or lounging across, by putting your back against the side of the trailer and sticking your feet out on that long area.

I like my feet up when I'm reading and I'm too tall to fit in a regular dinette and do that. Therefore, the u-shaped dinette will probably be the most important option we add to our trailer.

It'll also give room for my cat to snuggle with me while I'm reading or eating.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #27

Carla Jean, the area that goes across for lounging that I am referring to is the far part of the U --- what makes it a U dinette as opposed to two separate bench areas that we had on our 19'. The standard dinette has no seating straight across the table. That is what you pay $350 for --- to make it a U.

Laura answered while I was writing so you get two descriptions!

A filler board can be added to the seating straight across the table so that that area is deeper.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
For me the u-shaped dinette isn't all that comfortable for lounging without the 12 inch filler. The back bench of the u is 18 inches wide. That leaves 16 inches of cushion to sit or lounge on.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
AND, that cushion that goes wall to wall along the back is not the same thickness as the bottom cushions. It's about 1/3-1/2 as thick. Does the job, but for some may be a bit tough on the back if you're sitting at the U-shape table.

Still works for me because I don't have the table. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #30

Quote:
AND, that cushion that goes wall to wall along the back is not the same thickness as the bottom cushions. It's about 1/3-1/2 as thick. Does the job, but for some may be a bit tough on the back if you're sitting at the U-shape table.

Still works for me because I don't have the table. YMMV
That is disappointing. But we figure we can sit with back to the wall at the back of one side with legs on that back-of-the-U area. That area for sitting seems to be more for children. You can have four adults on the sides though, it seems. We may not have the table either. Seems as if it would be better without.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've owned Ten Forward for ten months. Camped nearly every month since pickup. I was talking to Kathie (Dave&Kathie) and said... if I was more than a single, I'd get a table. The lounge and stooge tables work well for ME. I've had two other folks in for dinner. Both used the stoogle tables to eat and I sat on a cooler in the aisleway. It was only one meal. But long term, more than one person eating... I think a table is needed. No matter if it's U-shape or regular dinette.

This is tough stuff to figure out. And yes, a mobile table would work if you still want the U-shape dinette. But, how much extra stuff and work do you want to deal with...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #32

We have a good roll-up table (from our tenting days), as Sylvia does, that we take for outside but can be used inside if we wish. We also have very small fold-up canvas and metal tables from tenting that could be used.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #33

Hubby and I can sit with our two Bichons on the u-shaped dinette as long as we all are being nice and friendly and have the filler in. Without the filler even if we are all very, very, very nice it will not work at all unless one person and two dogs go some place else and the remaining person doesn't mind having their feet on the floor.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:24 PM   #34

Sylvia, why is it that you could not put your feet up without a filler board?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:31 PM   #35

I forgot to to say -- thank you Donna D, I would not have even got to the filler board or flip up table idea without you (and the forum)!!!!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:46 PM   #36

Oh, Cathy, hubby is 6'3" and about 230 and he can't sit in a space 16 inches wide (try traveling economy when your that size!) I'm not near that big and am not really comfortable sitting wedged up against the kitchen wall and my feet by the back window. I love the filler board!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:38 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
Oh, Cathy, hubby is 6'3" and about 230 and he can't sit in a space 16 inches wide (try traveling economy when your that size!) I'm not near that big and am not really comfortable sitting wedged up against the kitchen wall and my feet by the back window. I love the filler board!
I see that you have several reasons for a filler board! We will see if we can manage, not being near 6' 3" and no dogs anymore.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Pictures of your u-shaped dinette

Quote:
The filler board I have makes the u-shape dinette into a twin bed at the back. It's covered and trimmed just like the kitchen counter and I had a cushion made that matches the rest of the fabric in Ten Forward. I do not have a mounted table, I have two stooge tables instead. Sorry, no pics. I'm at work all my pictures are on my home PC. Maybe someone else will post pics.
Hi Donna,

Would you please post pictures of your dinette setup, when you have a chance? In other posters' pictures, it looks like you would sit beside the stooge tables rather than behind them. Is that the case?

How wide is the filler board?

Thanks,

David
D&R_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #39

I just posted a separate thread on my testing of the u-shaped dinette a few hours ago. I included a photo of me flopped on it, so you'll get a good idea of how much room there is.

I did not measure the filler boards, but one was fine for what I was doing and two would be fine for someone sleeping there, although Dirk said he could sleep there with just one filler board.

Yeah, I really like the u-shaped dinette set up as a lounge. I was quite impressed with it, to put it mildly. It would work great for me.

Here's the link to the other thread:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...html#post93964