What are these 2 items? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What are these 2 items?

2 items that are a mystery:

1. The panel in the bathroom on the front wall. At first I thought that it might be to make connections after the two half's of the enclosure were in place but there seems like there would be other ways to do that. Since it's well sealed I'm not going to disturb it just to find out.

2. This cover appears to be glued to the floor under the stove area. No markings. Any ideas what the purpose is?

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.JPG   IMGP0010_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
2. This cover appears to be glued to the floor under the stove area. No markings. Any ideas what the purpose is?
Does the propane line for the stove come up through the floor just inboard of the frame rail, and then run outboard under that cover? I don't recall if you have the underfloor foam, Ron, but if you don't you should be able to see the propane line and locate it relative to some other reference point to transfer the location to the interior.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #3

I thought that there might be a chance that was the explanation. It's a dark and stormy night so I wasn't going to slide under the trailer to check where the propane line went upwards. I found it on the interior and it's nowhere near that area. So I shone a flashlight on the area in question and saw that it wasn't glued down and that it's only held down by 4 black screws.

So off it came. It looks like the area where the rear frame joins the main frame. They have glassed the area really well and it maintains the integrity of the f.g. floor.

One mystery solved.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0012_resize.jpg   IMGP0011_resize.JPG  
Old 01-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought the panel in the bath was for access to the corner wiring. On Edit-Note it was not there in the earlier E21 without the bath medicine cabinet, so it may have something to do with the medicine cabinet support.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
it was not there in the earlier E21 without the bath medicine cabinet, so it may have something to do with the medicine cabinet support.
Knowing that it wasn't on Gen 1's without the medicine cabinet does narrow it down a bit. That would seem to be a lot of work though, just to secure the medicine cabinet.

If I don't get an answer here then I'll ask next time I'm out at ETI. I like to know what's in the hidden spaces.

Ron
Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #6

Quote:
... So I shone a flashlight on the area in question and saw that it wasn't glued down and that it's only held down by 4 black screws.

So off it came. It looks like the area where the rear frame joins the main frame.
So the 21' now has a step up for the dinette, like all Escapes (but unlike the original 21' which recessed the floor in the rear below the frame top level to match the main floor)... but the floor step is a bit rearward of the frame step. Interesting... and there must be one on the other side, too, under the refrigerator.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #7

Very likely the same on the other side but a small panel obscures the view and I don't have any plans to remove it.

So Gen 2 21s rear floors step up and Gen 1s didn't. The water tank is hard up against the underside so I wonder if that wasn't done to increase the size of the water tank?

Ron
Old 01-05-2020, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
So the 21' now has a step up for the dinette, like all Escapes (but unlike the original 21' which recessed the floor in the rear below the frame top level to match the main floor)... but the floor step is a bit rearward of the frame step. Interesting... and there must be one on the other side, too, under the refrigerator.
the 21 without the raised platform, I find the cushions are too high for the floor. my wife who is endowed with unnaturally short legs, its even worse. When I was installing the Springfield, I seriously considered trying to build a raised platform, but I would have had to relocate the heater, the power unit, and the propane detector, and that all seemed like far more trouble than I wanted to undertake.

I still mean to find some sort of portable risers, one for each side, about 3" thick
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I still mean to find some sort of portable risers, one for each side, about 3" thick

Maybe these?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 8.26.48 PM.jpg  
Old 01-06-2020, 12:10 AM   #10
Site Team

you're really trying to get my head to bump into the A/C, eh ? i'm already 6' tall, I don't need to be any taller, nothing to compensate for.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:26 AM   #11

Quote:
So Gen 2 21s rear floors step up and Gen 1s didn't. The water tank is hard up against the underside so I wonder if that wasn't done to increase the size of the water tank?
Quote:
the 21 without the raised platform, I find the cushions are too high for the floor.
An issue was that the frame stepped up, with the stuff under the dinette seats, and the seats had to be high enough for the battery and other equipment, leaving the seats too high as John explained. I think Reace said that there were manufacturing issues, as well.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Deb uses a rectangle plastic container under her feet, maybe 8"x12"x4" deep.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Deb uses a rectangle plastic container under her feet, maybe 8"x12"x4" deep.

We do the same. The added bonus is that they provide storage for loose items on travel days.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: All Escape(s)
Hi Ron

You figured out the black cover already.... just a quick way to clean up an ugly corner.

On the classic 21’, the shower stall was slightly wider and would not fit through the door, thus it needed to be in the trailer prior to sealing the two halves together. This was a royal pain for manufacturing. With the new design, the bottom half of the shower fit through the the door but the top needed a small notch cut in to facilitate this.

This forum is pretty good at finding answers but I thought I would chime in on this one.

Reace
reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
This forum is pretty good at finding answers but I thought I would chime in on this one.

Reace
Well, hello there! Welcome back. We've missed you and Tammy, your counsel, kindness, friendship... you know.... Your company is doing well, we're doing well around here too.

BTW, Tammy's horse trailer will never been as fine and comfortable as a 5.0TA. Just sayin'

Happy Retirement!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hi Ron

With the new design, the bottom half of the shower fit through the the door but the top needed a small notch cut in to facilitate this.

Reace
Glad you did, thanks. I have to admit I'd have never figured that out.

Ron
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #17

Yes, a short cut for a shortcut.......
Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
the 21 without the raised platform, I find the cushions are too high for the floor. my wife who is endowed with unnaturally short legs, its even worse. When I was installing the Springfield, I seriously considered trying to build a raised platform, but I would have had to relocate the heater, the power unit, and the propane detector, and that all seemed like far more trouble than I wanted to undertake.

Lindy is about 4'11". I am 5'8". but when we got the trailer I was suffering from sciatica, and the ends of the dining cushions caused me pain on the back of my legs. We got a couple of folding stools, to rest our feet on, but it still was not very comfortable. When we bought the trailer back to Escape in 2015, I had them put in a raised floor that came just to the bottom of the propane detector, etc. Along with the Springfield pedestal, it was some of the best money I spent. Made it much more comforable to sit there even though it is only a couple of inches higher
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Lindy is about 4'11". I am 5'8". but when we got the trailer I was suffering from sciatica, and the ends of the dining cushions caused me pain on the back of my legs. We got a couple of folding stools, to rest our feet on, but it still was not very comfortable. When we bought the trailer back to Escape in 2015, I had them put in a raised floor that came just to the bottom of the propane detector, etc. Along with the Springfield pedestal, it was some of the best money I spent. Made it much more comforable to sit there even though it is only a couple of inches higher
ah, looking at this pic of mine, its just the power center that goes down to the floor, and would have to be moved up, as long as the platform is just a couple inches.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:56 PM   #20

John, I believe you heater cover is not properly attached, the bottom plastic head turns to lock, similar to the refer outside vent. Right now just the top is attached.