What do 5.0 TA owners do for (dirty) storage? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2015, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
What do 5.0 TA owners do for (dirty) storage?

With a new 5.0 TA on order, we are pondering the question of what to do with dirty storage. ie: hoses, grills, outside matts, screen room, etc?
What are current 5.0 TA owners doing for this kind of storage? Not having the front storage like the 19' and 21' and having the 5th wheel on a 6.5' truck bed, we are concerned with security.
Your comments would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
With a new 5.0 TA on order, we are pondering the question of what to do with dirty storage. ie: hoses, grills, outside matts, screen room, etc?
What are current 5.0 TA owners doing for this kind of storage? Not having the front storage like the 19' and 21' and having the 5th wheel on a 6.5' truck bed, we are concerned with security.
Your comments would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Hi: Charlie & Lucy... We are glad we ordered the rear access hatch as hose, cables, patio mat , and door mat go in there. If too soaked the mats go in the truck box till dry!!! The well used Spitfire 180 BBQ grill goes in the front access hatch over the propane bottles. The screen room( one of 3) rides under the rear dinette bench between the battery box and the 12V. water pump/heater in the "U" shaped dinette. This works as the U allows for more storage under the benches. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030919.jpg   P1030921.jpg   P1030929.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
I use a hard cover over the box and lock it at night.
although it is not secure when in tow.

ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a BakFlip G2 tonneau, it folds back to the final front 1/4 of the 6.5 bed. Under that portion, I can store a large mat (in 4' Xmas Tree bag), two folding lawn chairs and a 4'x8' folding table. Along side the hitch on each side an EZ-up in a bag fits fine. At the tailgate, a large cooler, tote and chocks. While nothing is totally secure this works for me. I don't carry a grill.

The waterhose is wound up and put in the storage area under the loft.

I don't typically travel with the folding table nor the EZ-ups, so find there's lots of room for lots of stuff in the bed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Charlie & Lucy... Here's the other bench storage with the water heater and pump in it. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030928.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I put really wet/dirty things in the front of the truck bed. I have two waterproof boxes (Container Store) that the wet hoses, etc go into and put in the rear access. Grill goes in the area over the propane tanks. Don't have a screen room yet.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hoses, power cords, levelers, chocks, and other setup items go in the front storage above the propane. The fresh water hose and it's adapters go in a plastic box, the lid has many 1" holes drilled in it so it'll dry.

If things get real dirty they go in the truck bed like everyone else, as do the chairs (unless it's raining), door mat, step, patio mat, etc. We use a Smoky Joe grill, it goes in a large storage container in the truck bed with all the other fire related items.

I also have a Tonneau cover, most everything goes under it at night and if it's going to rain. Not a lot gets all that dirty or wet.

The Coleman stove, fan, and citronella candles go in the side storage where Alf keeps his hose.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Hmmm.... In my thinking about the possibility of a future 5.0TA, I never thought about storage of water hose, cord, and other outdoor stuff. Even without the front storage box on my 19, I have lots of room in the large access hatch I installed, for under the bed storage.

I really would not want to carry things in the truck, if their intended use is for the trailer or camp. Right now, the only things I put in the tow vehicle, are things we might want away from the trailer too, which really is not much.

I do remember looking at Alf's front storage last year, and how he fit his BBQ in there. Is there not still room for the exterior trailer stuff? How about in with the propane bottles? And, how about other access hatches? I guess the only other option would be under the dinette seats.

I sure would miss the under bed storage in the 19, where we keep all things outdoors, like hoses and cords, levelling stuff, chocks, mats, chairs, tables, games, etc. Not concerned with the stuff we stow underneath from inside, and there is plenty of additional interior storage in the 5.0TA.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
On the 5.0TA, there's no room for anything to be stored with the propane tanks. There's a bit of space in the hatch with the landing gear switches, but you'd definitely want to protect those switches from stuff hitting against them! There's a deep (tall) hatch next to the door. Reaching in, I can barely touch the bottom. So that's a possibility for some stuff. I store the cranks for the landing gear and BAL stabilizers there.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Thank you one and all for your wonderful words of wisdom and photos were most helpful Alf! By telling us how you use your trailers gives us much to think about. As Donna D. says... It has to be about the way you use your trailer and how you camp! What one person brings others may not. As first time campers on our long road home from Chilliwack, we expect to learn a lot along the way! We are looking forward to having great adventures, and knowing we will have a place to put things makes the stress of being so far away from home with (or without) things we think we needed makes it easier!
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #11

Jim, there is certainly a good deal more room available in the trailer to store the items I keep in the truck bed, or at least most of it if one wishes to do so. The truck bed just works well for us, did the same with our last trailer.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, there is certainly a good deal more room available in the trailer to store the items I keep in the truck bed, or at least most of it if one wishes to do so. The truck bed just works well for us, did the same with our last trailer.
I guess it comes down to what you are used to. It has just seemed logical to me, to put anything trailer related in the trailer, so this is what I have always done. This way, it does not matter which vehicle I decide to use as a two vehicle, and have to ensure I have what I need along.

I imagine one could use the large step storage bin inside for things like this, as there is no shortage of storage inside for anything else we would want to take, that's for sure. Plus, it is right handy to the door. Our Kermit chairs break down into a bag less than 24", and about 5" in diameter. Our table is not much bigger in diameter, but is nearly 48" long.

I imagine one could do some very creative storage in the truck box, in a way that is secure, yet doesn't interfere with the trailer hitch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #13

With the 8' bed I don't even need to be creative, which is good cause I'm not.

The only hassle is I have to load the stuff into the truck before we leave home, you wouldn't have that issue, or think about what's going to get wet.