What goes under the Andersen hitch? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0
What goes under the Andersen hitch?

Someday I will have a new 5.0 and already thinking about using it. Escape suggests the Andersen Ultimate. The Andersen video shows mounting on a gooseneck ball and I see Andersen also lists what looks the same but mounts on rails. I have neither rails nor a ball in my truck now. The ball can be removed and the rails are not much in the way. What should I think about here? There must be factors other than cosmetic. Cost? Strength? Better towing?
tom&pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
AFAIK the Andersen gooseneck may not fit some trucks that the rails would. Andersen should be able to answer that question.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In addition to the factors already mentioned, the pyramid-shaped base of the "gooseneck" version is larger than the similar base of the rail-mounted version. That can make some difference to space for other stuff in the track bed, particularly some across-the-front cargo boxes.

The rail-mounted version can potentially rattle, but I don't recall anyone having that issue.

Either version will tow identically.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom&pam View Post
Escape suggests the Andersen Ultimate.
The only statement I've found from ETI in regard to the Andersen Ultimate is this in the Towing Compatibility Guidelines:

"Escape Trailer has validated and is happy to install the Andersen Ultimate line of connections, including the Ultimate Gooseneck Connection."

I wouldn't construe that as a 'suggestion', but YMMV. ETI certainly is happy to sell trailers with no adaptor of any kind to buyers preferring a 'traditional' 5th wheel hitch, and there's no shortage of owners very satisfied without an Andersen hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom&pam View Post
The ball can be removed and the rails are not much in the way. What should I think about here? There must be factors other than cosmetic. Cost? Strength? Better towing?
  • As long as the gooseneck or rail-kit is rated equal-to-or-better-than the Andersen's trailer and kingpin-weight limits strength is not an issue. The far vast majority of them are.
  • Fore-to-aft location of the Andersen ball, not the method of fastening it to the bed, bears on "better towing". In terms of horizontal location, different gooseneck and rail kits offer slightly different locations for the attached Andersen .... ya gotta research that on a vehicle and kit-specific basis. Yes, inches can matter in some situations.
  • Costs will vary depending on the specific kit selected for any given vehicle; as a generalization a gooseneck ball kit costs more than a rail kit (both kit-purchase and installation costs); the MSRP for the Andersen Gooseneck version is more than the rail version. So, one usually pays a premium for the privilege of a rail-free bed (but some folks find that worthwhile).
  • Most folks consider the differences between a removable gooseneck ball and 'fixed' rails to be a matter of convenience and non-towing functionality, not cosmetics; in any case the significance / value of those differences is highly personal.
  • Another factor is the size of the base with the Andersen installed - as already mentioned the gooseneck base is a bit larger than the rail-base in the pickup bed.
There's pros and cons to either of the Andersen base-fastening systems, but none of those bearing on towing characteristics or safety IMO. There's no shortage of threads here where where folks get passionate in advocating their preferences. Ultimately () it just gets down to your personal preferences and priorities, or perhaps kit-availability for your specific truck.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies

I appreciate all the replies. I have time before making a choice and I hope I can see more people's setup. Mostly it is time now to let this all sink in.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Yesterday I sent the following (with some additions here) to a member via PM:

We have a 2019 F150 Super Crew with a 6.5' bed. Have had rails in the past and have no problem hauling anything, including rocks, dirt, plywood, or sheetrock. Rails are rounded and stick up perhaps an inch from the bed. I use a heavy duty tarp for hauling rocks or dirt. When getting down to the bottom I use a push broom to get most out and then slowly pull the tarp out leaving a clean bed.

For us, the Andersen Gooseneck hitch takes up too much room in the bed (larger footprint) and has 2"+ steel sticking up around the perimeter to get in the way. The steel around the perimeter of the rail version lays horizontally, not vertically as in the gooseneck version. We like the Andersen rail version and this is our second F150 with the rail version.

Because of the larger footprint our trike would not have fit in the bed next to the Andersen gooseneck verson. Didn't realize that until we already had purchased and installed the rail version. That would have been an expensive mistake!!!

There is one member here who's ball was located too far from the tailgate, moving the trailer forward preventing the tailgate to fully open, when hooked up using the gooseneck version. I would find that a massive issue. Someone with a gooseneck version can state the correct distance for the ball if that's what you choose. Other than that one owner I know of no other distance problems with either hitch. Download the Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines and understand how the rails or ball are to be installed. Slightly too far back (closer to the tailgate) is better than too far forward. It's 4,000 - 5,000# 5th wheel, not 20,000#'s.

Don't want any clearance problems. If you bed sides are higher than 54" you may want the lift kit. If 56" or over I would certainly get the lift kit.

I personally wouldn't get the two steps for the 5.0, but just the single step. The second step is too small. We've owned a large adjustable step for over 15 years, and it works perfectly with the 5.0 too.

Hope this helps,

Perry
Old 10-22-2020, 01:44 PM   #7

Thanks, Perry

Lots to consider.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
AFAIK the Andersen gooseneck may not fit some trucks that the rails would.
The Andersen Ultimate will fit, but an in-bed ball hitch (or "gooseneck hitch") is not readily available for some trucks.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Great info. Just out of curiosity, what is a trike?
ghampshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #10

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghampshi View Post
Great info. Just out of curiosity, what is a trike?
Take a look at my avatar or the picture below. We were camping at Fort Ridgely last weekend and rode 20 miles to New Ulm for lunch and then 20 miles back to the campground. The high for the day was 40 F. It's always a great time riding with Terry!

The trike needed to fit underneath the hitch and with the larger footprint of the gooseneck Andersen we would not have been able to close the tailgate with the trike in back. It's a tight fit with only about 2" of clearance with the rail mount, but it fits.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Wow!, Perry, you have it down to a science. The trike looks like a blast.

Thank you for all the info. Its beyond valuable. I'm convinced, the rail system is it!

Hope to meet you "on the trail" one day.

Thanks again, Perry.

Safe travels,

Gerry
ghampshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.0, andersen, gooseneck, rails, ultimate