What Grill do you use .... using your low pressure quick connect? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have to agree with Jim on this one. I have used both systems and I prefer the low pressure QC and the "Y" adapter, which allows me to run two appliances at once (stove and grill). Most of our cooking is done on the grill or in a crock pot so the stove is rarely used. And with a few clicks, I can run the propane fire pit 32-feet from the trailer. I also have converted my Honda EU2000i to run on propane, and I can run that off of the QC. But I don't take the generator unless I am evacuating my home due to an impending hurricane and I may be holed up where it is stifling hot and no hook-ups. But it is convenient when most of your appliances run on The QC.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I have to agree with Jim on this one. I have used both systems and I prefer the low pressure QC and the "Y" adapter, which allows me to run two appliances at once (stove and grill). Most of our cooking is done on the grill or in a crock pot so the stove is rarely used. And with a few clicks, I can run the propane fire pit 32-feet from the trailer. I also have converted my Honda EU2000i to run on propane, and I can run that off of the QC. But I don't take the generator unless I am evacuating my home due to an impending hurricane and I may be holed up where it is stifling hot and no hook-ups. But it is convenient when most of your appliances run on The QC.
What am I missing here? Doesn't the "quick connect" hook up to a hose, and then to a splitter in order to feed various receptacles the same as a hose that's connected directly to a propane tank (that's located on the tongue)? The only difference I see is the quick connect costs $160.00 and a hose costs $20.00. Both would need splitters and extension hoses if distance from the trailer is desired or additional applications required.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
What am I missing here? Doesn't the "quick connect" hook up to a hose, and then to a splitter in order to feed various receptacles the same as a hose that's connected directly to a propane tank (that's located on the tongue)? The only difference I see is the quick connect costs $160.00 and a hose costs $20.00. Both would need splitters and extension hoses if distance from the trailer is desired or additional applications required.
Hey J Mac - i think your solution is cool...

however...

Given how we use our Escape... I myself enjoy the security net of having the changeover switch on propane.

I never ever have to worry about running out of Propane,

to have slightly less stress, it is worth the $160 (CAD) to me.

different strokes for different folks.

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Another vote for the Weber Q1000. If our Weber disappeared tonight, I'd order another one tomorrow. We use ours with a separate propane bottle we carry in the truck, just because we try to conserve propane for more essential tasks from the two bottles at the front of our trailer.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
My vote is on the CampChef Yukon. No need for a table. Park it wherever you like. Easy to set up.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #26

Quote:
I could be "cute" here and refer to a quote that every Harley-Davidson enthusiast knows: "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."
However, to be honest, I really cannot say you are missing anything if you like/prefer the set-up you are using. But what I am missing is what I consider the PITA of having to leave the propane compartment open on my 5.0TA, as well as fitting an adapter onto a tank in an already cramped space. And I find it a lot easier to snap a male fitting into a female fitting than to thread a high pressure hose into an adapter and then, to be safe, verifying that no leak exists. I personally never liked using the high pressure hoses. I found them rather expensive, even in Walmart. And to extend their length each section has to be threaded together and should be tested for leaks. That was in my Aliner days, when I typically would remove one of the propane tanks from the Aliner tongue in order to use the stove and grill on the picnic table (I didn't want to cook in front of the trailer).
All I am saying is I have used both set-ups extensively, and I would gladly pay more than $160 if that were the cost of having the QD. So my preference after using both types of set-up pretty much aligns with Mr. Bennett's stated preference.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
How long a hose comes with the quick connect ? Or...what gets used instead of a high pressure hose?
I know high pressure hoses can be made any length, can the quick connect also?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #28

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
My portable cooktop of choice is the CampChef mountain series. I current have two, but like the Teton due to its smaller size. I use refillable 1# canisters, but do have the option to connect to a 20# tank.

As long as you are camping and enjoying a good meal, it really doesn’t matter what system you are using.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Those large Camp Chef stove are da bomb. They perform well, and are awesome to cook on. I would have one in a heartbeat if they weren't so darn huge. I just can't warrant carrying one around. That is the reason I first posted about the Camp Chef Ranger II here, which I and others have now bought. Though not as robust and nice to use, they still offer most of the great cooking features of their big brothers, albeit in a much smaller package.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I know high pressure hoses can be made any length, can the quick connect also?
Yes. In fact, it is usually the same hose. I have a quick-connect hose from Fairview (which came with an adapter to convert a grill or stove), and the actual hose is the same high-pressure LPG hose sold in bulk and assembled sets for high pressure.

Most sellers of propane hose around here don't want to custom-crimp fittings onto hose (due to the testing required), so they use ready-made hoses with pipe thread and/or flare fittings on the ends, and just install the quick-connect fittings to them to make quick-connect hose assemblies... just as they build up high-pressure hose assemblies from the same ready-made hoses. Even the quick-connect extension hose in the kit is built this way - the quick-connect parts are screwed to pipe thread ends, not crimped directly on.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those large Camp Chef stove are da bomb. They perform well, and are awesome to cook on. I would have one in a heartbeat if they weren't so darn huge. I just can't warrant carrying one around. That is the reason I first posted about the Camp Chef Ranger II here, which I and others have now bought. Though not as robust and nice to use, they still offer most of the great cooking features of their big brothers, albeit in a much smaller package.
One of the reasons we chose the 19. Barbecue, chairs, table, dog crate go in the jeep. And even bring the camp chef ranger II along in the outer compartment under the bed.
Made me think about the posting a few days ago about the 21 with the counter extension, not being able to open the bathroom door all the way.
Bigger isn't always better. But I have to admit that your 5.0TA is awesome!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 05:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv4toys View Post
As long as you are camping and enjoying a good meal, it really doesn’t matter what system you are using.
That is true. But the question isn't about which system will prepare a better meal, the discussion at hand relates to which system is more convenient or preferred by the individual user. There is NO correct answer. Having used both, I have determined which one I prefer.

This is sort of like a discussion of tow vehicles. Each of us has a preference/affinity to certain manufacturers. I tow with an F150, but some members here choose other brands. Having had less than stellar experiences with other vehicles, you will likely not see me towing with any vehicle that sports a bow tie for a logo! And you will NEVER see me towing with a vehicle that displays a funny little wild male sheep. But then again, does it really matter what you use to get your trailer to your selected destination.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:41 AM   #33

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
The Jackson Grill JPG-75 fits perfectly in the Escape front storage box. Jackson now has a newer model Versa 75) so confirm specs before buying. A couple of cleats on the floor keep it from moving, and a thin rubber sheet glued to the box interior protects the BBQ. I used to have a BBQ with quick disconnect to source propane from the trailer, but I prefer the untethered BBQ, allows for more setup options. Your Mileage May Vary.
Attached Thumbnails
BBQinBox.jpg  
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by advdave View Post
The Jackson Grill JPG-75 fits perfectly in the Escape front storage box. Jackson now has a newer model Versa 75) so confirm specs before buying. A couple of cleats on the floor keep it from moving, and a thin rubber sheet glued to the box interior protects the BBQ. I used to have a BBQ with quick disconnect to source propane from the trailer, but I prefer the untethered BBQ, allows for more setup options. Your Mileage May Vary.
That locale will not work with an Escape 19, but will with a 21 and a 17 due to the battery location of the 19 being in the front box.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #35

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do your grills, not stoves, start to smell after a while? Thought I kept it clean, but for storing somewhere inside, it smells. Must be the grease that coats the lid and such.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We use this grill from Magma. https://www.starmarinedepot.com/magm...SABEgI3V_D_BwE

Fuel it with 1 lb canisters as the low pressure propane line extra we opted for is inconvenient. Fits in the front storage nicely. Rear of the grill is hotter than the front so items must be rotated. What about eveness of other grills?
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Do your grills, not stoves, start to smell after a while? Thought I kept it clean, but for storing somewhere inside, it smells. Must be the grease that coats the lid and such.
I will often run the grill on high heat for awhile after it is used, just to burn off as much as possible of any lingering grease and food gunk that remains on the grill. If I do this on a regular basis, the grill does not leave much of an odor when transported inside the car or inside the trailer. If you grill a lot of foods with high grease content, it is more difficult to get rid of that greasy odor.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA Tundra 1794 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
We use a Weber Q1000 which conveniently fits in front storage box of our 5.0 TA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is there extra space in the 5.0TA. Just wondering if the Q1200 would fit.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" JT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TlAD-b7yew
Honair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Is there extra space in the 5.0TA. Just wondering if the Q1200 would fit.
Specs list it at 15.5" high. My Spitfire is listed at 13" and I had to shorten it by 1/2" to make it fit. Pretty sure you can assume it will not fit. I know someone with it, and really likes it. It sure is bulky for the size of the actual firebox it has. Do you think you could easily cut the legs down?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #40

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
We store our Q1200 in our 5.0 TA front compartment. I have to remove the grease tray & put it under the cover. The grill then fits over the hatch lip & slides in. Also, we zip it into a plastic bag to keep the odor out of the trailer.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote