What Is Supposed To Keep My Freezer Door Closed? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
What Is Supposed To Keep My Freezer Door Closed?

The freezer door on my 2010 Dometic refrigerator will not stay closed when the refrigerator door itself is closed. It opens slightly (1/4-1/2 inch), allowing the contents to thaw and ice to melt, causing a mess in the refrigerator itself.

The door is bottom hinged, with a seal all the way around it, with no breaks in the seal. Close examination does not show any type of prior latch attachment points, either on the door or the refrigerator box itself. It does not appear there was ever a latch on the door. There does not appear to be any type of magnetic latch or keeper on the freezer door. The door hinges may have originally had springs to hold the door close, but I have not been able to tell. If that is the case I have no idea where to find a replacement door.

It may be that there was some type of protrusion on the inside of the refrigerator door itself which would press against the outside of the freezer door, but I have not been able to detect one.

The only temporary fix I have found is to put a wedge between the side of the freezer door and the refrigerator box, but they tend to fall out over rough road.

Help!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I had the RM 2510 (5 cu ft) refrigerator in my 17, and there was a spring at the hinge that held the freezer door closed. Mine broke, and I replaced it with one found at a Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I, too, have replaced the spring on my '05 Casita freezer door - see video clips at this link for hopefully helpful hints:

Google search results - dometic freezer door spring replacement

Long ago so I don't remember the details but I do recall that with the reefer model number I was able to find the replacement part online for a very few $.

("Hey!", marant! - I'm probably only a few miles from you, near Rockne )
Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Further investigation (as a result of your help) reveals that the door spring(s) are not broken. The problem appears to be that there are small flat plastic tabs at each end of the hinge which set into detents on the side of the refrigerator, maintaining tension on the spring. One of those plastic tabs is broken, allowing it to rotate free, releasing spring tension.

Does anyone know a fix, or a source for a replacement tab? Am I going to have to figure out a way to fabricate one?

Once that problem is solved, is the door removed by taking out the small screws on the bottom of the door? There does not seem to be any other way to remove it.

Thanks, all.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Any pictures would be helpful.........
Old 07-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
... is the door removed by taking out the small screws on the bottom of the door? There does not seem to be any other way to remove it..
See the video at the link in post 3; does the step-by-step freezer flapper door removal procedure shown not apply to your model?

What is your reefer model number (on the tag inside the door frame)?

IF yours is of the type shown in the video, once you have the door off there are only a few pieces on each side relating to the hinge / spring assy. and all are fully exposed.

Here's a vendor site with all of the assembly pieces linked on one page
Old 07-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #7

Centex: Missed that reference, thanks. Based upon the video it looks like the 'thin plastic piece' is actually part of the right hand spring assembly. Probably not repairable.

Now to find a source for the spring assembly. I will need it since the spring itself is ok, it is the plastic housing that is broken. Will know better when I remove the door this afternoon.

(We are in Bastrop.)
Old 07-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
... Now to find a source for the spring assembly. ....
See the link in post 6, I was editing while you were typing
Old 07-25-2020, 12:22 PM   #9

Removed the door as shown. The plastic spring assemblies are both toast.

About $28 each, just for the plastic piece. Must reuse the spring and core.

Thanks again, the video is very helpful.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Casita
If you are by chance a member of Casita Owners facebook page, do a search for "freezer door" within that group. A post will come up from a lady whose son 3-D prints both of them. $10.00 + shippng. No personal knowledge about them, but a number of positive comments on her post.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

marant - I'm a Casita owner but don't do facebook at all, so, I'm sorry, I can't help you by 'proxy' with the option jerryc referenced.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #12

Well, I finally received the replacement spring housings for my freezer door. Watched YouTube on replacement process (very helpful).

Put original springs and spring inserts in housings and reinstalled per video. Door no longer flops open, but does not spring closed either. When I move the door it takes some effort, so the new assembly seems to be doing something, but it does not actually move the door. If I move the door it remains in the position where I place it. If I close it all the way it stays there, but does not seem to use any spring force to keep it sealed.

Removed and reinstalled 3 times with same result. Tried WD40 in case something in hanging up, with no improvement. Examined spring housings, springs and spring inserts and all appears ok. Dogs on the door and spring inserts are meshing as they should.

Ideas?