What "option" is a must-have? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #1

What "option" is a must-have?

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum posts for a little while and I am planning my future 17B .....what option did you get that was a 'must-have' or what option do you wish you would have gotten?

Those of you with a hot water tank/shower, do you find you use it or is it nice to have just in case? How about the exterior shower?

How many of you got the extra insulation/double pane window option? I'm not planning on living year round in the trailer, just going out and having fun on weekends, holidays and long road trips during the summer months exploring more of this great country. I'm from BC.

AC option...I have RV'd with a 17' Boler during the summer months...(they should be called "Boilers" when they have no AC), I do enjoy hot weather however, if you have the AC option...do you find you use it?

Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Thanks for any input,
Nadia
eskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Re: What "option" is a must-have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia
.... I am planning my future 17B .....what option did you get that was a 'must-have' or what option do you wish you would have gotten?
Hey Nadia,

Planning your future 17B is often half the fun! Great choice.

We've only used the outdoor shower one time but were sure glad we had it when we needed it.

We don't have the double pane windows/extra insulation and have been comfortable. The windows do get quite a bit of condensation if it's real wet and cold outside but we just wipe off the ones that don't have drain holes (big ones front and back on the 19'). Maybe would have gone with the double-pane if we had it to do over.

We've also only used the air conditioner once or twice but I like having it there just in case.

I'm really happy we got a microwave installed in it's own little cabinet (we got the 17'-sized fridge in our 19').

I also really like that we got an outside AC outlet as I like to hang lights outside when we're staying somewhere for a few days.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Hi Nadia, welcome.

I opted out of the A/C for now. At least until I head somewhere real hot for an extended time. We are not camped where there is a 110V AC plug most of the time anyway.

The best option in my mind is the extra insulation and dual glazed windows. It really keeps the heat in when cold, and keeps the heat out when hot out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: nadia...We have the dual fuel Elec/Propane hot water heater...wouldn't leave home without it. When on shore power we use the electric element (tiny hidden switch in the water heater access panel. When no power we use the propane ( switch in front of stove top).
No dual pane windows or extra insulation and the trailer is always cool sitting in the full sun but we do have the black glass windows.
Our roof A/C is a real blast and refrigerates like a hockey arena... glad we have it but use the MaxxFan almost all the time.
We have the screen room and only put it up once so far... but I am planing on it next week as we'll be in one place for a few days.
We have the exterior shower but no dog to wash so it goes unused!!!
3 burner stove top is very convenient when to wet for the BBQ.
We have a S/S backsplash surround rather than the extra window over the sink. Very expensive and I end up polishing it!!!
120V. receptacle out side...priceless... use it all the time for the slo cooker & toaster
Extra porch light on the services side of the trailer for those late night hookups, and one over the 5th. wheel hitch is handy too. Alf
ecape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #5

Similar threads: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=921
http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=871

I think the most important upgrade is dual 6-V batteries.

Wish we had a stainless steel sink instead of plastic.

Glad to have the external shower, but have not used it.

Glad to have the window over the sink. More windows is better.

Wish we had an internal 12V outlet for charging cell phones, camera batteries, etc.

Wish we had external cargo hatches for the hitching gear, grill and campstove.

Didn't know there was an electric water heater option, but we don't burn too much propane heating water. We use a small electric ceramic heater for space heating when hooked up, and that takes a big load off the propane.

Weight distributing hitch is nearly essential for the Esacpe 17 and Rav4.

Should have bought a 3" memory foam mattress topper from The Foam Shop from the start. Good sleep is very valuable. Has made a huge difference since we bought it.

I wish that the hanging locker had slide-out wire shelves, but we bought a plastic drawer unit at Canadian Tire that fits nicely in there. They are from Gracious Living and also available at Staples. See the 7th reply in this thread: http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=284

We have not yet missed having air conditioning, including a fairly hot period in southern Alberta last August. The Maxx fan does a good job, and the white exterior helps to reflect solar heat. We don't plan to travel to particularly hot places, although I do worry that Yakima this August might test us.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for posting the links to this already discussed discussion. I knew they must have been somewhere on this site, but I could not find them when I was looking for them.

Great ideas of what works for some but not others. It really boils down to personal needs and wants...it is awesome to read what "mods" some of you have done....these are the type of ideas I am looking for.

Have any of you gotten the LineEx coating on the front of your trailers to protect against rocks?

Thanks for all the great input so far...I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Cheers,
Nadia

Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia
Have any of you gotten the LineEx coating on the front of your trailers to protect against rocks?
Dirk (aka: mosquitodirk) did his, and I saw an Escape 13 at the last rally that Reace had done up, I think they might offer that as an option now, you could ask him. I plan on doing mine sometime as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
ashleymeadow

The essentials come with these trailers, but the most important option has to be the insulation and thermal window package. In very cold weather, the single pane windows will "sweat" leaving a lot of moisture in the trailer. It is unavoidable unless you stop breathing in there, and never make coffee of tea. Without insulation, you are going to get cold in there. Even with the furnace going, your arm will touch the wall during the night, or worse, your butt (I have insulation on my 17B, and the walls still get cold below freezing. The opposite will occur in the hot summer. If you are always lucky and camp under a shade tree, you might be okay, but in the open, you will bake even with the roof fan going all of the time.

This option is about $800, but worth it. Everything else is just nice to have.

Next in my review of options we got is the conversion of the 17B's wardrobe closet into four drawers. We take very little hanging clothes, and that that we do take goes in the car. These have been great for toiletries, underwear and socks, batteries, pills, change for laundry, etc. It's amazing how the two utilities drawers fill up. It is hard to imagine where all of this stuff would go it we had not had Reace install these draws. It cost a very reasonable $200!
Old 06-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Don't even think about the extra insulation and dual pane glass, just do it!
Everyone has given good advice on the other things, but I'd add that the unit doesn't need a 13,500 BTU AC unit! A 9,000 will keep you plenty cool! AC is one of those things that you don't need, until you need it, but boy is it nice to have when you do : - ) Of course, if you only "boon-dock" it's a mute point!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
tao

I use the outside shower all of the time for washing dishes. This is a very valuable option for me. My wife likes the larger refrigerator, we have the 5 cu. ft. refer.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

Just a couple of thought when we had our 17ft (put them in order)

1) Shelves inside wardrobe

1) Extra insulation - just seemed a good idea

2) Outside A/C outlet - used it more than I thought

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #12

Stove cover also a must. Adds extra counter space when closed.
ellen smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Here's my operating principle re options-- if in doubt about an item, get it. Better to have it and rarely need it than need it and, even occasionally, not have it. It's worked for us.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellen smith
Stove cover also a must. Adds extra counter space when closed.
We have the stove cover, but I'm happier with a cutting board that fits over the burners. The cutting board provides a flat surface and serves dual purpose. It's also portable. You can pick it up and anything that's on it and move it so you can use the burners or take it outside for prep.
The Epicurean cutting board is light weight and costs about the same as the stove cover option.

baglo

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Wow! You folks are awesome....thanks for all the information. I am going to head down to Escape Industries in the middle of July to see the trailers first-hand....with my list in hand!

Cheers,
Nadia
Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

You will love your 17B - we sure do. The extra insulation and thermal windows are great. I really like our stainless steel sink. We rarely use it, but it would be difficult to add an A/C unit later as there is extra reinforcement of the roof to hold its weight. We have an outside access panel in the rear passenger side and I am VERY glad we got that too. The stove cover make for more working space. But my favorites of all are the weight distributing hitch and the dual 6 volt batteries.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #17

The only thing I wished I'd gotten (we ordered most every other thing listed by everyone) is another 12 volt outlet in the galley area. We have a 12V slow cooker, that would ride GREAT in the sink while we travel, and dinner would be ready when we arrived :-)
Old 06-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'

That's an awesome idea Dan! How about plugging the slow cooker into your car 12V outlet?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddys
That's an awesome idea Dan! How about plugging the slow cooker into your car 12V outlet?
It's not a BIG cooker, so I'm thinking it might "overflow" on quick stops or turns. That's why it'd be nice to put it in the sink, just in case. Maybe it wouldn't be a great big deal to add a 12v outlet?
Anyone done it?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #20

I'm sure it's doable - as we had Reace put an extra one in after we picked ours up.. I think it took 1/2 hour.. The other thing is you could make an 12v extension cord.. Just go to auto store (or hardware) & pick up the outlet & connector & just wire it up..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote