what the heck??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
what the heck???

I just parked my rig at a storage facility. I removed the single, 12 volt battery on my my Escape 17, so I could keep it on a 'trickle charge' at home, because I won't be using my trailer for an unknown period of time. When I gave the interior a "one last look over before I lock the door" I noticed that the solar panel's read out, on the wall above the sink, read that a charge was present. The roof top panel was receiving full sun and there was 3+ amps coming in. I turned on the fan and it worked, led lights worked too. BUT there was no battery on board!!!
What the heck
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That there would be what in the solar industry is called ghost charging. This does not necessarily mean that you have ghosts in your trailer, but if you did they could use all the facilities of it with no problem.

Your panel and charge controller are still putting out a charge, just as your converter would if plugged in without a battery. I do wonder at the 3+A draw though, maybe this is just the potential current rate available?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #3

Speaking of which, if you have a solar panel and charge controller, why the desire to pull the battery out? It will be kept charged in place, no problem.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
With a current indication and no battery, I only see three possiblities:
  1. incorrect reading (but 3 amps a big error)
  2. the controller itself is using power (obviously it's using some, or there would be no display, but it shouldn't be 36+ watts)
  3. stuff in the trailer is on (which could include detectors, but should not be even close to 36+ watts)
I assume the answer is some combination of these.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Speaking of which, if you have a solar panel and charge controller, why the desire to pull the battery out? It will be kept charged in place, no problem.
I don't want to 'loose' it.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I don't want to 'loose' it.
Or 'lose' it either. I forgot they were easily assessable on the bumper on the 17.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Or 'lose' it either. I forgot they were easily assessable on the bumper on the 17.
And accessible.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Gotta love that Tapawalk.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
And accessible.
LOL.... Touche! Darn swype typing.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
With a current indication and no battery, I only see three possiblities:
  1. incorrect reading (but 3 amps a big error)
  2. the controller itself is using power (obviously it's using some, or there would be no display, but it shouldn't be 36+ watts)
  3. stuff in the trailer is on (which could include detectors, but should not be even close to 36+ watts)
I assume the answer is some combination of these.
I don't think I understand explanation 2 or 3 because I can't understand where the power could be coming from. Rule out number 1 as well. I read 3 amps incoming.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The only time I've heard of things being able to run when the battery is disconnected is when the solar panel is powering the devices directly, provided the items are within the voltage limits of the panel. To my knowledge Escapes are not wired that way, so it is puzzling.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Interesting that there is a whole other thread going now about how you are supposed to disconnect solar input to the controller before removing the battery.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rys-10939.html
If one does that, then the solar shouldn't be able to power anything once disconnected from the controller. Isn't that right? Also, someone posted on that threat that disconnecting the solar is just to help keep one from being shocked by the solar power coming into the controller while messing with the battery(ies). Is that right?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Interesting that there is a whole other thread going now about how you are supposed to disconnect solar input to the controller before removing the battery.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...rys-10939.html
If one does that, then the solar shouldn't be able to power anything once disconnected from the controller. Isn't that right? Also, someone posted on that threat that disconnecting the solar is just to help keep one from being shocked by the solar power coming into the controller while messing with the battery(ies). Is that right?
My solar is connected to my batteries out of the solar controller, which also connects to the DC distribution. With the batteries removed, my solar will power the DC circuits with no problem, up to the amount of the charge current, which is usually 4-8A dependant upon solar gain, lower with poor sky or shade.

This is the same as with the trailer plugged into the grid, where the converter provides the 12V power, and will operate devices in the trailer even without a battery.

Disconnecting under load can carry a risk of personal harm, but one can be careful there to avoid it. What it will always do especially if the load is high, is to cause arcing at the moment of connection or disconnection, cause corrosion and wear on that connection. A proper disconnect will avoid all these issues. Personally, I believe the amount of wear to be very minimal, but if easily avoided....... Think of putting battery cables from a running vehicle onto the depleted battery of another vehicle, and the arcing that can occur there, same kinda thing.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
My solar is connected to my batteries out of the solar controller, which also connects to the DC distribution. With the batteries removed, my solar will power the DC circuits with no problem, up to the amount of the charge current, which is usually 4-8A dependant upon solar gain, lower with poor sky or shade.

This is the same as with the trailer plugged into the grid, where the converter provides the 12V power, and will operate devices in the trailer even without a battery.

Disconnecting under load can carry a risk of personal harm, but one can be careful there to avoid it. What it will always do especially if the load is high, is to cause arcing at the moment of connection or disconnection, cause corrosion and wear on that connection. A proper disconnect will avoid all these issues. Personally, I believe the amount of wear to be very minimal, but if easily avoided....... Think of putting battery cables from a running vehicle onto the depleted battery of another vehicle, and the arcing that can occur there, same kinda thing.
Remove negative terminal first...correct?
Old 08-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I might just toss a painter's heavy duty cotton drop cloth over our solar collector if/when I need to disconnect our battery to minimize the risk of arcing.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Remove negative terminal first...correct?
Yes, this is because it is connected to ground, and if a tool disconnecting it hits anything grounded there is no problem, but if you remove the positive first if the tool contacts ground, you will short circuit the battery.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I might just toss a painter's heavy duty cotton drop cloth over our solar collector if/when I need to disconnect our battery to minimize the risk of arcing.
Without sun there is no charging current, and very minimal (if any) risk.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Without sun there is no charging current, and very minimal (if any) risk.
If there are any capacitors in the system, they can hold charge for quite awhile -- so best to assume there is always some potential for a shock.
goalie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:57 PM   #19

Quote:
I don't think I understand explanation 2 or 3 because I can't understand where the power could be coming from. Rule out number 1 as well. I read 3 amps incoming.
From the panel. Only the battery is disconnected, right?

Quote:
Rule out number 1 as well. I read 3 amps incoming.
If a display says 3 amps, and the actual current is zero amps, the display is wrong... that's all I meant. Are you measuring current with a separate meter, or only reading the display of the solar charge controller?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The only time I've heard of things being able to run when the battery is disconnected is when the solar panel is powering the devices directly, provided the items are within the voltage limits of the panel. To my knowledge Escapes are not wired that way, so it is puzzling.
As long as the Escape's battery disconnect switch is on, there is a path from the solar panel through the solar charge controller to the distribution panel and the various DC loads. Since the fan etc. work, that switch must be on (or the solar output is wired to the load side of the switch, rather than the battery side).

The battery has been removed; I didn't see any comment on the switch position.