Wheel Bearing Service Interval - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Wheel Bearing Service Interval

Here's a question on how often should the wheel bearings be service. The recommendation is every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Cars can go tens of thousands of miles and never have the wheel bearings serviced. So what is the difference between car bearings and trailer bearings? Why does one need periodic service and the other hardly, if ever, needs service?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Re: Wheel Bearing Service Interval

It's mostly peace of mind, knowing that all is good for the next trip.I do my own service and it 's not a big job if you take your time. The thing is you get a chance check seals and brake condition and repack the bearings with fresh grease. Good seals are very important if they fail then water will get in and contaminate the grease then all hell will break loose usually in the middle of no where in a down pour.In all my other trailers I always kept a spare bearing and seal set just in case. But care must be used when tightening the spindle nut to tight and the bearings over heat and will fail. To loose and the wheel will wobble and wear out the brakes and seal. trailer spindles are Timken cup and cone type bearings were as the modern car uses single row deep groove type bearings factory lubricated and sealed no maintenance is required until they fail. I might think 24 months or 12,000k would be OK.
A quick test is to jack up the trailer and spin the wheel if you hear growling or rubbing AND if you grab the wheel and it moves up and down or side to side excessively then you will want to get it serviced right away.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Laura & Rick... Just had ours done for "Our Escape Hatch's" Spring tune up. My RV Tech. also inspects the brake shoes. This year I had new tires and a set of chrome rims W/ brass stems added. $35. for the repack... $75. per rim. and $75 per new 205/15 ST (5011) Radial Goodyear Marathons. Can't beat his prices or his work and we look forward to more flat free towing.
Heading out Sunday morn. for a week in Kentucky and Tenn. and a weekend rally with the Camping Club of Ga. Tenn. and Al. I think we will be busy giving 5.0 tours and sampling Bourbon and Beer. This sounds like a good season opener to me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

Devil Dog, thanks for the explanation on the differences between trailer and car bearings and spindles. I imagine that it a cost item that trailer axle manufactures use Timken cup and cone bearings rather then what is used on cars.

Rick
Old 04-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

No trouble Rick, My trailer is only 6 weeks old so I won't have the wheels off till next spring.
But I still would like to get the bearing and seal numbers so I can put a spare set in the Trailer just in case. If any one has this Info Please let me know. Or I may give Escape a call maybe they will know.?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

A post from last year:

The bearings are; (Inner) L68149 or 129200, (Outer) L44649 or 129000
The seals are; 58846 or 158800 depending on where you are ordering them from.

The axle is a #10 Torflex made by Dexter.
This axle is used on the 15', 17', 19' and 5.0
The brake shoes are; 10 x 2-1/4

baglo
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #7

Hi Baglo, Thanks for the numbers. I'll check at Lordco and if they have them in stock.
I will also check the torflex web site and see what they got.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I've been told every two years or 20,000 K for repacking the wheel bearings. I had them done last year and my mechanic told me I could have waited, from the condition of the bearings. Of course, once you have it all apart, it's too late.

If you are really anxious to do wheel bearings, you can come over and do mine next year.

baglo
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #9

I checked out this web page. http://www.easternmarine.com/ They got it all, but it's eastern USA. Good for price comparisons.I'll try and stay with the local dealers.

Tools needed to change wheel bearings = 12 cold Beer, steak on the B-B-Q and sunshine. I know you got 2 out of 3...

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
Here's a question on how often should the wheel bearings be service. The recommendation is every 12 months or 12,000 miles. Cars can go tens of thousands of miles and never have the wheel bearings serviced. So what is the difference between car bearings and trailer bearings? Why does one need periodic service and the other hardly, if ever, needs service?
Rick most cars have sealed bearings and your trailer does not. You don't have to service the trailer bearings ever just keep running it and then someday while on the road you may have a seize up and then it will really cost you. I do my trailers yearly.
Chuck
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #11

Sounds to me like the bearing manufacturers and RV dealers are in cahoots with each other

I was looking in the Dexter manual to verify the type of grease recommended. Directly across the page was instructions on installing a seal. The second instruction was:

"Apply a PERMATEX sealant to the outside of the new seal." And Permatex was in caps. Never heard of putting Permatex on the seal. A note did state not to use Permatex on rubber encased seals.

Rick
Old 04-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #12

Rick , The way to foil there master plan is to do regular maintenance on the wheel bearing.If we all did they would go broke. Timken Bearings will last over 20 years if looked after.
Now as for the Permatex #2 it's just a safe guard against water and dust getting past the out side of the seal some silicone will do the same thing. Installing seals can be tricky some times. Do Not beat the heck out of them to get them in. Use a small press if you have a work shop, other wise get some thing to lay on top of the seal and tap on that evenly around and work it down evenly till it hits the bottom ledge. In most cases you need to put the inner bearing in first before the seal so watch out for that. Or you off to get some more seals.Done that ONCE.. Note that One bearing usually has a larger ID that one goes before the seal. I could go on but you may be falling asleep right about now..

Mike
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

About 1964 I bought a 1957 Dodge Panel truck for two reasons: we needed a second car and planned on buying a house and moving.

I tooled around town with it for a while, even on the expressways, I took it to my local Exxon garage for an oil change and the tech asked how the front wheel bearings were. I told him to go ahead and check them. They fell apart in his hands!
They were virtually dry!!. So I learned from that to never take bearings for granted. And to think my Dad sold bearings!!! My guardian angel was with me on that one. This was before seat belts, too.