Wheel lug wrench - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
ashleymeadow

Wheel lug wrench

I have two lug wrenches in my garage and one in my car, but when I tried to get one to fit on the trailer wheel, I found that the lug bolt was too long for the depth of the wrench. I then tried a socket wrench with a 13/16 deep socket. It fit, but I could not loosen what an impact wrench had torqued on.

I called Reace this morning and asked what he recommended. He didn't have an answer. He installs them with an impact wrench and had no idea what owners use. He thought owners buy those four-way lug wrenches. I don't think those are very easy to stow, and I don't find it practical carrying a compressor and wrench set for something that may never happen. My insurance will pay for tire change, but many places we go have no phone service. I would like to know what other owners do for a lug wrench for these wheels.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: Wheel lug wrench

Hi: Serendipity...I have an annual bearing repack/running gear/tire inspection at my local RV. Shop. About $50. and carry CAA/AAA+RV. It's easier to lug around a plastic card. The bottle jack and wrench have never been out of my truck...YET!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity
I called Reace this morning <snip> He thought owners buy those four-way lug wrenches. I don&#39;t think those are very easy to stow,
Can you carry the four-way under the spare tire cover, using zip ties to secure it to the wheel?? Or, I use a collapsible four-way. Haven&#39;t had to use it yet and feel confident it wouldn&#39;t handle a whole ton of torque, but if the lugs haven&#39;t been over torqued, it should work well. See here:
http://asp.americanracing.com/storei...lug-wrench.htm

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM   #4

Trailer: '07 17B

I carry a floor jack & the appropriate socket & ratchet. Also about a foot-long piece of pipe that i use as a cheater on the end of the ratchet. If it requires extra force, i use the big muscles, ie, the legs! I've wondered why a lug wrench isn't included with the trailer. Hopefully i won't have to use these!
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
ashleymeadow

When it is raining and cold. I really am not going to change tires if I can get someone else to do it, but phone service in the mountains is not good to nonexistent. I remember returning to my car years ago, when there were no cell phones, and found a flat tire on my boat trailer. I was in the middle of nowhere with no spare tire. I learned an expensive lesson from that experience. But, I am concerned with adding too much weight to the trailer with heavy tools.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I carry the folding 4-way lug wrench and a 2' piece of pipe as an extension. That way I can position the wrench on the nut so its opposing sides are about 30 degrees off of vertical. I'm then able to keep the turning torque centered on the lug by pushing on the downward leg with my foot while using the pipe extension to pull back on the upward leg. I figured this out back in the day after snapping off a lug on my car while standing on a single-arm wrench. Live and learn.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I keep one of those 4-way lug wrenches in the under cargo storage in the RAV. And, if I get really frustrated, I've got an ax and a sledge hammer i there too.

baglo
Old 01-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #8

I carry one of the 4-way lug wrenches, the jack, a can of tire inflator, a small tub of bearing grease to use on the hitch ball, and all of the trailer chocks and leveling blocks in one of those large plastic totes labeled "Blocks n Chocks." It keeps everything together in one handy place and makes loading up for a trip easy.

In fact, I have another tote labeled "Plumbing" with the stinky-slinky, tank wand, toilet deodorizer, rubber gloves and hand sanitizer, etc. A third tote is "Hardware" and contains non-toolbox items such as spare fuses, bulbs, and various bits of electrical stuff in smaller organizer boxes, along with adhesives, various lubricants, rope and all of the little rattly bits I can't live without.

All this stuff gets removed from the truck upon arrival and stowed under the trailer.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #9

Walmart carries a 4-way that folds up. Don't have any experience with it but on surface it looks good especially considering the space it occupies.
Gene
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #10

Re: Wheel lug wrench / canned air

From Wikipedia:

* The biggest complaint by tire professionals regarding tire inflators is around removing the sealant from inside the tire. They believe that it is a difficult, time-involved process that may damage the tire. Some brands like Fix-A-Flat offer a water-soluble formulation that allows the product to be removed quickly and easily with a towel and water.

* The formulation utilized in these products is important to take into consideration. Some canned tire inflators are made with a formulation that includes butane which is flammable and considered subject for explosions when exposed to high temperatures inside the vehicle or the tire itself. For safety reasons, there are currently canned tire inflators made with a non-flammable formula which are safe to store in a vehicle’s trunk or tire well.

* Also for safety reasons, the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) has mandated that all 2008 vehicles sold in the US and manufactured on or after September 1, 2007 must be equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS). Because many of these sensors are inside the tire, there was a concern about whether or not canned tire inflators and sealants would affect the sensors’ ability to correctly operate. Manufacturers have been working on finding solutions to this new legislation.

* The California Air Resources Board (CARB) is an active environmental organization aimed at reducing the greenhouse gas emissions and is planning to add several restrictions by 2010. Manufacturers will most likely need to look for alternative propellants from those currently used to meet the new requirements.

I don't want to have to replace my air pressure monitoring system.....

baglo
Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #11

As to the inflator; while I will always opt for having the tire repaired professionally, I don't want to be caught with a flat out in the boondocks. I mean no offense, but I could care less what the "professional tire fixers" don't like...I want backup in case of need. I guess if I had a pressure sensing system on my vehicle i would worry about it...I just use a gauge when needed.

Again, no offense is intended. As a former Boy Scout, I hold to the motto, "Be Prepared."

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #12

No offense taken. Just providing information. In that spirit, I'd keep the inflator in a Zip-lock bag. I didn't and it leaked and made a considerable mess.

baglo
Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #13

Thanks for the tip...you can't have too many plastic bags, flashlights, Snickers or too much ammo.

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I always take a small 12V air compressor with me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #15
ashleymeadow

I solve the issue today by buying an lug wrench at WalMart for $15 (US). It has a hndle that extends to apply leverage and came with two deep sockets. It is really like a socket wrench except that it is just a fix off-set handle with an extension. I tried it, and it works! Not too heavy.