Wheel well liner - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 11:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5ta
Wheel well liner

Just looked at new escape the wheel wells look nice and white but how is this for rock damage? I'm mostly on gravel roads should there not be a liner?
Warmhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmhat View Post
Just looked at new escape the wheel wells look nice and white but how is this for rock damage? I'm mostly on gravel roads should there not be a liner?

No.
You can line yours if you like, but if you've ever driven down a gravel road with cow dung everywhere, you'll appreciate the smooth, original gelcoat. Besides, in 12 years of driving forest service roads, I've got maybe two chips. And they don't concern me in the slightest.
This first came up in maybe 2009. At the time I said if damage occurred, I would then ( maybe ) cover it with a liner. I've not heard of anybody lining their wheel wells since.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #3
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmhat View Post
We've only had ours for a little over a year and the wheel wells always clean up nice - much easier with a good coat of wax on them. We pretty much stay on regular paved roads/highways/freeways and so far no rock damage at all.

However, I recall reading here once about someone (maybe Donna??) who sprayed their wheel wells with something to protect them from rocks and debris - but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe someone here who does this will pipe in. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We've only had ours for a little over a year and the wheel wells always clean up nice - much easier with a good coat of wax on them. We pretty much stay on regular paved roads/highways/freeways and so far no rock damage at all.

However, I recall reading here once about someone (maybe Donna??) who sprayed their wheel wells with something to protect them from rocks and debris - but I can't seem to find it now. Maybe someone here who does this will pipe in. -Bea
Hey Bea we use 303 after washing trailer . Seems to really help nothing really sticking . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've done a lot of gravel roads from Alaska to Baja. A few small chips is about all the damage I've gotten. I wouldn't do anything about it. Maybe if I keep the trailer long enough and the chips become more numerous or larger I'll spray the area with a bed liner. But until then it's a non-issue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Best advise I heard was if you want something like Rhine Liner, wait till they beat up enough to be concerned, then have it done.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 19'
I lined ours with 3M Scotchgard film. It was real easy to apply. Just wet and squeegee out the air bubbles. It goes on like the window tinting film.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dee08802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post
I lined ours with 3M Scotchgard film. It was real easy to apply. Just wet and squeegee out the air bubbles. It goes on like the window tinting film.

Thank you for the idea , I have a partial roll on hand so a good way to put it to use
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee08802 View Post

I used the same to line the wheel well. It is also used as paint protective.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #10

Excellent idea but so far no damage yet ! Pat
Old 07-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
That was me with our 17B. I sprayed on truck bed liner and I did it to protect against damage from a blown tire, as I have seen pictures of fiberglass trailers getting their wheel wells shredded by the steel belts. As it turned out, we had a blowout of one of the original Goodyear Marathons and the tire did indeed quickly shred before I could get pulled off the highway. There were bits of rubber embedded in the protective liner but no damage to the fiberglass. It is in my plans to do the same to our 21 someday. I also liked the look of the wheel wells as black.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0611.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #12
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hey Bea we use 303 after washing trailer . Seems to really help nothing really sticking . Pat
Hey Pat! I thought 303 was primarily for UV protection, but good to hear it works/protects your wheel wells, too! So far I use the Meguiars Marine wax on all the fiberglass and 303 on every thing else that is plastic. May just switch to 303 in the future - nice to hear so many here like it on the fiberglass, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
That was me with our 17B. I sprayed on truck bed liner and I did it to protect against damage from a blown tire, as I have seen pictures of fiberglass trailers getting their wheel wells shredded by the steel belts. As it turned out, we had a blowout of one of the original Goodyear Marathons and the tire did indeed quickly shred before I could get pulled off the highway. There were bits of rubber embedded in the protective liner but no damage to the fiberglass. It is in my plans to do the same to our 21 someday. I also liked the look of the wheel wells as black.
Ah ha! Yes, thank you for responding Eric! Very nice! Wow, I've never had a blow out that shredded the tire...you must'v been glad to have done that mod. And I agree, the black wheel wells look good and the added protection makes a lot of sense. I assume the truck bed liner needs to be professionally applied?

I am also intrigued with the 3M Scothguard film - thanks for posting that Dee08802! -Bea
Old 07-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Bea, I sprayed in the liner myself. Next time I will probably buy one of the kits and can be rolled or brushed on.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Hey Pat! I thought 303 was primarily for UV protection, but good to hear it works/protects your wheel wells, too! So far I use the Meguiars Marine wax on all the fiberglass and 303 on every thing else that is plastic. May just switch to 303 in the future - nice to hear so many here like it on the fiberglass, too.

Ah ha! Yes, thank you for responding Eric! Very nice! Wow, I've never had a blow out that shredded the tire...you must'v been glad to have done that mod. And I agree, the black wheel wells look good and the added protection makes a lot of sense. I assume the truck bed liner needs to be professionally applied?

I am also intrigued with the 3M Scothguard film - thanks for posting that Dee08802! -Bea
Bea my friend Cathy has been using on her 2015 21 trailer . I haven’t used on the whole trailer but have always used in the wheel wells . I have been using Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax for awhile now . I also have Shurhold dual polisher and the front and one side need to use once in awhile because it gets so much uv’s . I tried Starbrite and Rejex not impressed . So far the 303 and Meguiar’s and my polisher is all I use . Impressed Don covers his whole trailer with the 303 as Cathy does . The only problem with that is have to get all the wax off first and Tammy telling me to use good wax stays in my brain We are going on 7 years now who knows . As for the roof just wash it and do the best we can . Pat
Old 07-14-2020, 05:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Bea my friend Cathy has been using on her 2015 21 trailer . I haven’t used on the whole trailer but have always used in the wheel wells . I have been using Meguiar’s Flagship Premium Marine Wax for awhile now . I also have Shurhold dual polisher and the front and one side need to use once in awhile because it gets so much uv’s . I tried Starbrite and Rejex not impressed . So far the 303 and Meguiar’s and my polisher is all I use . Impressed Don covers his whole trailer with the 303 as Cathy does . The only problem with that is have to get all the wax off first and Tammy telling me to use good wax stays in my brain We are going on 7 years now who knows . As for the roof just wash it and do the best we can . Pat
Oh forgot the 303 constantly on the graphics Too .
Old 07-14-2020, 06:29 PM   #16
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Bea, I sprayed in the liner myself. Next time I will probably buy one of the kits and can be rolled or brushed on.
Got it! Impressive. Not sure I have the courage to do this, but love the concept.

Quote:
Ok, nice to hear your routine! I recall pics of your trailer and it looks like new...so will continue with yours and & Tammy's advice! -Bea