Where do you hang towels? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Where do you hang towels?

Last weekend we were fortunate enough to be invited by the lovely and gracious Lucy and Charlie to have a look at their brand new 5.0TA. Yeah, we were more than slightly excited .

While looking at things, my wife realized that there were no towel holders on the inside of the bathroom door like was on our Casita. She asked me "where do people hang their towels?" She is not keen on the idea of hanging them outside of the bathroom and neither am I. I can just visualize the way it would look with 4 mismatched towels covering the wall...a sight only an abstract artist could possibly appreciate.

So where do you folks hang your towels? (I'll be embarrassed if everyone says "outside wall" ) And have any of you swapped out the door for a solid wood door? Thats another thing we are thinking of too. Escape said if we reinforced the wall the door attaches to, it would be made out of 3/4" plywood, so it hold it I would think. Course that is just a possibility.

Thanks as always for your input
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We have 2 Command Hooks up above the toilet that we can use for one but seldom do. You won't like it but we hang them outside the bathroom! But then we only use 2 towels.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We usually hang ours outside for a while when coming back from the showers, as they usually dry out quicker there. Once dry, they are folded and put away. We do hang them on the outside of the bathroom door otherwise, and never have really worried how they look, as we are just camping anyway.

We did try in the bathroom, but it took way to long for them to dry out, if in fact they ever did. We did not have a fan in our bath vent though, and I imagine that would help.

We deal a lot more with wet jackets and clothes than we ever do with towels though, and those get hung up in the same way mentioned above, usually on hooks on the outside of the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
IKEA suction towel bars and hooks.

STUGVIK Towel rack with suction cup, white - white - IKEA

Move and reposition any time.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A solid bath door would add weight on the hinges and would increase the overall trailer weight.
We've been using the 3M Command hooks and place them where most useful. You can easily change your mind and move them without damage.
Wet towels would get hung outside the trailer until dry and then folded and stored.
Dish towel hangs from a 3M hook near the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
3M Hook.jpg   squeegee.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I placed cleats similar (ours are coated in black vinyl) to these under the overhead cabinets in the four corners of the dinette area. I run a nylon cord in a continuous square and secure it with a cam cleat. This gives us two lines to hang towels to dry and windows on either side for a little ventilation (supported by the Maxx Fan. We bought microfiber towels for the trailer; they do seem to dry faster than terry cloth.
Google Image Result for http://g04.s.alicdn.com/kf/HT17Ek3FrdbXXagOFbXl/201552482/HT17Ek3FrdbXXagOFbXl.jpg
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
IKEA suction towel bars and hooks.

STUGVIK Towel rack with suction cup, white - white - IKEA

Move and reposition any time.

Another fan of the STUGVIK. Over a year on some pretty bad roads, high and low temps and has not moved or fallen. Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKsnowbiker View Post
Another fan of the STUGVIK. Over a year on some pretty bad roads, high and low temps and has not moved or fallen. Scott

Scott and Lori
We have extra Stugvik holders that we stick on the outside window to dry things under the awning. Easy on/off.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There is enough solid wood at the door edges to attach towel bars to. I made some from s/s tube and made them so the bracket attached to the solid wood frame at the sides.

Also made one for hanging sink tea towels etc.

For a sopping wet large bath towel we'd probably try and dry it outside before putting back in the bathroom.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
18-06-2014 2-01-28 PM2_resize.jpg   P4300083_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Hi Nathan! I brought from home one of those metal hang-over-the-door gadgets with three hooks. Works great.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 19'
We put an umbra 3-hook white wall hook behind the shower curtain, so towels stay dry while showering. This requires reinforcing the wall during construction, so probably won't work after build is complete.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KZKG60/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

This keeps the towels out of the way better than putting them behind the toilet. We use microfiber towels so they dry quickly.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
We also got one of the over the door things with three hooks and that fits fine and is great for wet clothes too. However I think somewhere I read that hanging really wet things inside the trailer -- even in the bathroom -- could lead to the dreaded CONDENSATION. Any thoughts?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ruthe, ANY source of moisture is going to contribute to condensation, cooking, showering, drying towels and even breathing. If the weather allows we try to hang towels outside, but its not always practical so we sometimes hang towels inside. We also always have windows open somewhere and try to use the fan to provide more ventilation whenever producing moisture inside. For me, ventilation is the key to minimizing condensation. In these little spaces it can never be completely prevented, but it can be managed.

We live in a small very tightly sealed and insulated house, and so I'm used to managing moisture levels in small spaces.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
And have any of you swapped out the door for a solid wood door? Thats another thing we are thinking of too. Escape said if we reinforced the wall the door attaches to, it would be made out of 3/4" plywood, so it hold it I would think.
Just curious... why? This seems like an addition of weight for no obvious benefit.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just for a bath towel?? Definitely overkill, especially when there are so many more practical options.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Hi Brian,

Nothing more than to have the trailer feel less flimsy. I guess I'm a little curious as well as to why an additional 25 lbs here or there in the trailer would be a big deal when most 1/2 ton pickups can easily tow 7000+ lbs.? As long as it doesn't exceed the axle weight. Like I said, right now it's just theory.

We are probably going to have the wall reinforced anyway, again, to make it feel like a real wall.
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Send a message via Skype™ to Abeltaine
our (used) 19' came with towel (command) hooks behind the toilet, but we plan to use our bathroom to shower in so I'm adding two command hooks to the inside of the door so they'll stay dry during the shower.
Expect to hang wet things outside until dry, than transfer in.
Still unsure what we'll be hanging them ON outside. My first thought was the Awning bars, or the bicycle rack. But the bicycle rack won't hold much and might have bicycles on it. and I hear it is good to keep that Awning closed in case of wind when in the southwest.
Thanks for the IKEA tip!

Amy
Abeltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
We got from Amazon the Umbra Flip 5-Hook Wall Hook, Espresso and had ETI install the hooks on the wall outside the shower just to the right. We had the wall reinforced by ETI for a small extra charge. That is where we hand the towels. Hope this helps.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
I guess I'm a little curious as well as to why an additional 25 lbs here or there in the trailer would be a big deal when most 1/2 ton pickups can easily tow 7000+ lbs.?
The concept behind Escape trailers was to make a light-weight trailer that could be towed by a small or mid-size SUV, without sacrificing quality.

QUOTE: The Escape allows people from diverse lifestyles to travel using their existing vehicle. The Escape’s aerodynamic and lightweight design eliminates the need to invest in the large tow vehicle required by a conventional RV trailer. Most minivans and SUVs are capable of towing the different Escape trailers without a noticeable increase in gas consumption, therefore keeping the cost of travel to a minimum. UNQUOTE
Old 11-21-2015, 05:35 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Add twenty-five extra pounds here, twenty-five pounds there, etc., etc., and then, before you know it you've added enough weight to stress out your door hinges (they are cabinet grade flimsy), cut into your towing miles per gallon, (governed by weight) and probably like me won't take more than one shower every 3 months. Well, it's only money.

Tapping with my hammer, found and drilled into solid frame reinforcing already in there.
Attached Thumbnails
coathang.jpg