Why does my propane regulator hum, hmm? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Why does my propane regulator hum, hmm?

When we're using our stove or the water heater comes on, there is a high-pitched, audible hum from the propane regulator. We've had this sound since we picked up our 19. If it's just normal, okay, I'll accept that, although we had no similar sounds from the regulator on our 17.

On the other hand, if it's a problem waiting to happen, I want to be prepared. The larger the flow of gas [water heater vs. stove], the louder the sound. I don't hear the sound, however, with just the refrigerator on propane: not a large enough flow, I suppose.

Do I need to be concerned? Or just hope it hums a nice tune?

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Why does my propane regulator hum, hmm?
Because it doesn't remember the words.

It shouldn't do that, and I have heard one do it before. There are be a softer hissing sound though. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about, but replacement would solve the noise.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I have had that sound occur when the tank was overfilled. The sound stopped after a a few days of use. Perhaps it hums because it dose not know the words. Sorry for the old joke.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Try swapping to the other tank. I have 2 tanks for my home grill, 1 hums intermittently (like half the time), the other does not. I also notice it goes away once the tank goes down some, but I never paid attn to how much. It'll hum for 4 or 5 uses then go away. Been using it like this for a couple years, but it's not on every fill.

Hasn't blown up yet.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Regulator

Our Escape regulator does not make any noise, however my three burner gas grill at home will whine when the tank is under half full and all three burners are wide open. When it reaches temp., I turn it down and it quits whining. Perhaps your noise is also related to gas consumption.
Sorry I am of little help, just an observation.
Farm joke:'what do they call a bunch of farmers setting in the basement complaining about prices? Whine Cellar. Rimshot
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We picked up an Escape 19 in May, and I have noticed this noise as well. We did not have a similar noise on our prior trailer. It is related to the amount of propane being used, as others have said. Next time out, I will try switching to the other tank and see if that changes anything. We have used it for 2 weeks now on propane, not connected to power, and so far it has been fine other than the noise. We haven't gone through a tank of propane yet so I can't say if the switchover changes anything.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
At least no one hinted that I would be exploding any second if I continue to use my propane. At the next Escape Customer Appreciation Rally, I'm going to suggest that we have a standup comic talent show. Those who offered humming jokes will be automatically entered. Nevertheless, your levity and the subsequent comments seem to indicate that the problem is neither serious nor imminently suggesting a regulator failure. And you made me smile.

I've already tried changing the tanks. The sound from mine doesn't seem to be related to the pressure or overfilled tanks, since one tank is nearly empty.

Oh well, in the short run, I'll just hum along.

Thanks all!

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Get a ukelele, take the workshop at the Quartzsite gathering in Feb, and play along with your regulator.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Ours also hums, does not make a difference which tank it is set at and even after a refill.
Guess ETI got a batch of regulators that couldn't read the song sheet
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The propane being used is a gas. The gas is flowing. It's going though passages with interesting shapes and dead ends. If part of the system has the right length between features (such as the tank, an orifice, or an outlet) to resonate, it makes sound... and that's basically the description of a musical wind instrument.

Some propane setups accidentally make sounds. The propane tank is a big volume on one end that varies in size (as the liquid level goes down), which is why the sound comes and goes or changes note in some cases. The propane systems in my trailers never made any noise that I noticed, but my motorhome system makes some weird noises, and I think they changed when I added a tee between the tank and the regulator. I can't think of any reason to assume there's a problem.

I think all the easy jokes are taken.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:54 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hmmmm.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:14 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Not with both of our countries' politicians ramping up for federal elections.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Ours did the same thing. It drove me nuts until I discovered that whenever there was a draw on the propane, the regulator vibrated against the tank cover, of all things. Tank cover adjusted, problem solved. Simple.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #14

Even if I could hear that low of a hum these days lol which is not likely, there is no cause for concern some do hum from vibration check tank hold down snug and the lines are not touching anything as any line with fluid or gas flowing through can cause sympathetic harmonics in the surrounding area. I would also check the cover positioning and the bottom edge of the cover where it rests on the frame. Just before my last trip me and some paper wasps had to come to an agreement they don't build inside the cover and I won't black flag them . After the discussion was over I noticed as I was putting the cover back on the rubber edging on the bottom was gone so fuel line split and installed and then cover reinstalled. You might as a piece of mind soap bubble check the connections and around the regulator. When I used to install lp tanks and regulators on Roach Coaches we would get humming from the regulator do to a diaphragm not sitting exactly right, air entrapment in the lines and last but not least ....The singing lesson money was spent in the pool hall .....:-) Thank you Thank you I'll be here all week try the veal
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
Ours also hums, does not make a difference which tank it is set at and even after a refill.
Guess ETI got a batch of regulators that couldn't read the song sheet
Ours is a Hummer also.

I have filled the tanks and moved things around a bit and will put it to the test the second week of September - our next scheduled camping trip.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The humming may not be the regulator at all. Ours was caused by one of the pigtails having a faulty safety valve. Replacing the hose silenced it.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Thought if you pulled a pigs tail it squealed?
Sorry, couldn't resist...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
From the Weber site.
"A funny noise is coming from my grill. What should I do?

Rushing noise: Immediately after turning on the gas tank valve, you may hear a "rushing" noise. This is just gas rushing into the supply hose and manifold.

Groaning or metallic cracking and popping: As Flavorizer Bars, burner tubes, and cooking grates heat and cool, they expand and contract, causing these sounds.

Fluttering noise: If the slide-out bottom tray is not fully pushed into place, excess air may be drawn into the cookbox, causing a "fluttering" sound. The burner tubes and Crossover ignition may also cause this sound when the lid is open and air is drawn into the cookbox from above. Finally, the flame in the crossover ignition tube may fluctuate after ignition, which will cause a fluttering sound.

Humming or whistling from the regulator: Outside temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and the gas level within the tank may cause the rubber diaphragm inside the regulator to vibrate, making a humming or whistling sound. Although this sound may be alarming, this is NOT dangerous as long as it is not accompanied by the smell of gas. If the humming sound persists, a change in atmospheric conditions will eventually stop the vibration.

Hissing:
From the small hole in the regulator
This hole is used for ventilation - it is normal for air to be released from this hole. If the customer does not smell gas, there is nothing wrong with the grill. This hole is simply releasing air as it was designed to do.
If there a strong smell of gas even after the grill is started
There is a leak. Do a leak check to locate the source of the leak and replace whatever parts are needed.
The smell of gas can still be detected, but a leak check did not determine where it is coming from
Check to see if the regulator vent is leaking gas. Replace hose and regulator.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
I discovered that Bailey's regulator was leaking on our last outing two weeks ago. I only turn on the propane when I need to use it. Pancakes were on the menu, so I needed gas to the stove. I turned on the tanks and could smell gas. Though it would dissipate. Cooked the 'cakes and went back out to check tanks and could still smell gas. Turned off tanks and started to investigate. A cup of soapy water made it obvious there was a leak at the regulator. We were out for a few more nights, so we looked for a replacement at a few stores, no luck. But the campground store had one, so bought it and after borrowing some gas thread dope, got it all rigged up with no leaks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3498.jpg  
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Mine started that high pitched hum as well. It is irritating coming on and off in the middle of the night with the furnace. I can hear it also when other appliances are running....cooktop, barbeque etc. I am heading to Chilliwack soon and my trailer is still under warranty. What is the fix?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote