Wifi Boosters - Canada - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Wifi Boosters - Canada

Searching the forum for help on Canadian sourced wifi boosters, but most of the traffic/posts have been from US based contributors. We are interested in getting a wifi booster for our trailer and need to get it to ETI by the end of the month and so getting a US sourced booster is a bit of an issue. Can any Canadians make a recommendation for a wifi booster purchased in Canada that they have had good success with?

Thanks.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
This is one place that a couple others here have used and liked. Reports of good customer service.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Well, I just called JEFA Tech support with a query. Got great help right away. I plan to use the antenna on a portable mast that will be put away for travel and when not needed. I plan to connect the antenna in a hatch I will add later. The hatch will also house antenna connections for TV and Cell Phone.

They suggested I run a 12V drop to where I will place the repeater, and use as short of an antenna extension cable I can to the hatch. This is the link to the cable, and the ends I need are RP-TNC Male, and RP-TNC Female Bulkhead (attaches to the wall of the hatch).
JEFA Tech: Low Loss 240 FLEX Cable Assembly

12V connector for drop.
JEFA Tech: DC 5.5mm plug to screw terminal adapter

12V pigtail connector if near the converter.
JEFA Tech: DC 5.5mm plug to bare wire 36 inch pigtail - white stripe positive

My thought is to put the repeater in the rear bench, right by where I plan to have the hatch.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-11-2016, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Hi everyone,

I really have no knowledge or experience trying to select / set up wifi equipment so I'm looking for help. Our build sheet is due in February and although that seemed really far away when we ordered in April, I'm starting to feel the pressure to finalize stuff (and yes, I'm a Type A!).

We'd like to use Sirius satellite radio and increase our chances of accessing wifi.

If you can point me towards websites that can serve as primers for me, that would be great.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergirl View Post
If you can point me towards websites that can serve as primers for me, that would be great.
The Jefa Tech Repeater (Booster) I linked to has a bit of an explanation of what it does.

Not certain about boosting the signal for satellite radio, but is that even required? The few times I had the trial in a new vehicle, it worked everywhere but in tunnels or maybe alongside a tall cliff. Not sure boosting would help there, but maybe.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not certain about boosting the signal for satellite radio, but is that even required? The few times I had the trial in a new vehicle, it worked everywhere but in tunnels or maybe alongside a tall cliff. Not sure boosting would help there, but maybe.
You can amplify any signal, but no amplification will add information - only noise. I agree that if you have a clear line of sight to one of the satellites providing this service, you have reception. I've never heard of a sensitivity issue with satellite radio receivers, so I assume the only issues are
  • antenna placement and mounting, and
  • cabling from antenna to receiver.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Sirius has internet and satellite services. I have satellite, but would have to pay extra for internet, which is where a WiFi booster would come into play. Where you point the antenna depends on where you are. Instructions for east and west are in the manual.
And, you don't have to pay all year. I suspended my service for six months as of today. Realized that I get CBC Radio One on my FM radio and that I can stream NPR and likely BBC on my Mac for free. You can also download podcasts when at home and listen later. I still have two hours of Lewis Carroll docs about Alice to listen to and two and a half hours on earthquakes and prep.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The Jefa Tech Repeater (Booster) I linked to has a bit of an explanation of what it does.

Excellent, thank you very much Jim

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote