Wind fairing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2015, 05:52 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Wind fairing

I am a little disappointed with the 15mpg I get while towing our 17B at 60mph with the RAV4. Anyone know of any mods to install a fairing on an Escape trailer? The effectivness on other types of trailers appears to be variable.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Slow down? Bet mpg goes up if you tow closer to 55mph. But, I don't think 15mpg is all that bad...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
Towed a 17b with a RAV4 and that was more or less the mpg's - towed lots of miles- sometimes got a bit less than that. Seems the best thing was to go under 60mph. Gas milage wasn't a lot better than towing our 5TA with our Silverado- the gain is when you're not towing.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I am a little disappointed with the 15mpg I get while towing our 17B at 60mph with the RAV4. Anyone know of any mods to install a fairing on an Escape trailer? The effectivness on other types of trailers appears to be variable.
I have towed my 17B loaded at 3010 lbs (well, a bit more this trip) 58,000 miles with an average 15MPG towing at 57 - 60MPH, mostly on secondary roads, so I don't know how much more you can expect. On this trip with an additional 250 lbs, I'm averaging 14.2 MPG at 1000 miles...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
In US mpg, that is not bad at all, on average I get a lot less with my Pilot towing my Escape. So many things factor into the mileage, and how it varies, like wind, hills, and speed. I really only checked out my mileage closely with the Pilot on the first 2 week trip I did, and at every fill up, the mileage varied a lot, again dependant upon towing conditions.

Keeping track of the mileage going to and back from the last Escape Rally, I found my F-350 diesel did much better than my Pilot ever did. But, where the smaller SUV shines, is all the driving done when not towing, and when on an extended trip, where you set up camp for many days at a time, the overall mileage of the SUV will be way better, plus you have a much better vehicle to run about in.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I doubt a fairing on the trailer would help your mileage. The trailer's frontal area and drag coefficient aren't reduced by such an arrangement. If you look at a Semi Truck with fairings, they place one on the cab of the truck, which reduces the frontal area of the trailer by directing air over it instead of it hitting the front. They also use tail fairings to reduce the turbulence and drag behind the trailer.

Your RAV4 is lower than the trailer front, and air will still hit the blunt face of the trailer with a fairing on the trailer. There might be a way to place a fairing on the tow vehicle instead, which would direct air over the trailer, but honestly, I wouldn't mess with it. The cost vs benefit doesn't make sense to me.

Slow down, and take your time. With a smallish tow vehicle like the RAV4, the mileage can be increased by just going another 5 mph slower.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have a wind fairing I install on top of my frontier. I use in the spring and summer. It really does not do much for milage but it really keeps the bugs off the front of the trailer. It is a must have for love bug season in Fl.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I have a wind fairing I install on top of my frontier. I use in the spring and summer. It really does not do much for milage but it really keeps the bugs off the front of the trailer. It is a must have for love bug season in Fl.
Eddie

Makes sense if used for that purpose. If the OP wants to increase mileage, it probably won't do anything for that.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
On my recent race across USA and back I noticed my mileage increase while staying at 62 mph and using non-ethanol gas which means premium gas. Increase was 14+ mpg average over 7,000 + miles with full pickup bed and full trailer.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
bryan4, I suspect you are correct.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
On my recent race across USA and back I noticed my mileage increase while staying at 62 mph and using non-ethanol gas which means premium gas. Increase was 14+ mpg average over 7,000 + miles with full pickup bed and full trailer.
This brings up an interesting point. Does premium gas give better MPG when towing?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
The short time I've had “Escaping Reality” the average is right at 15 MPG, I don't drive over 60 MPH, use CC and never OD when towing. But then I”m an Ole Man whose reflexes aren't as fast as the young'uns.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
J Mac,

See this Pump facts - Marketplace - CBC News and then watch the video that you can find on the right side of the page.
Basically, premium gas is a waste of money if your vehicle is not designed to use it.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mine requires at least 89 octane or midrange, at a minimum, so it benefits my motor.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Non-ethanol gas should increase mileage, as ethanol has less energy content per volume than gasoline. This would be true at lower octane rating as well: regular gas with ethanol vs. regular without it, assuming you can find regular w/o ethanol, that is.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
This brings up an interesting point. Does premium gas give better MPG when towing?
Depends - what do you mean by "premium"? Traditionally it meant simply higher octane, and that makes no difference to fuel economy in most cases. More recently it also means more detergent content, which again makes no difference unless you have something like an injector clogging problem. Finally it now means no alchohol content in some cases, and that does matter... but not enough to justify the price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Basically, premium gas is a waste of money if your vehicle is not designed to use it.
Generally, I agree. My van only needs regular, and that's all I have ever used for 170,000 kilometres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Non-ethanol gas should increase mileage, as ethanol has less energy content per volume than gasoline. This would be true at lower octane rating as well: regular gas with ethanol vs. regular without it, assuming you can find regular w/o ethanol, that is.
Absolutely correct. In Alberta all regular now has 10% ethanol, so the only way to avoid it is to go premium. Since 10% ethanol can only make a few percent difference in fuel economy, the big cost increase for premium gas (typically $0.10/L or so) can't be justified on this basis.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
That part is correct. Non-Ethanol fuel provides more energy. So, better efficiency. My biggest issue with Ethanol added fuel isn't the energy potential though -- its the harm it causes engines and fuel systems. Manufacturers spend alot of time and money modifying their designs so that the harm is lessened, but in many cases, particularly with power equipment or generators, you have to doctor up the fuel. The biggest issue seems to be that Ethanol and water combine, and that varnishing and residue buildup occur.

The previous point Glenn made is also correct. There are a ton of studies which prove that those who only use the highest octane fuel are in many cases wasting money. High performance vehicles with engines designed specifically for 91-93 octane do benefit. The rest, not so much.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That part is correct. Non-Ethanol fuel provides more energy. So, better efficiency.
Well, better economy, but not better efficiency (conversion of fuel energy to useful output).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
My biggest issue with Ethanol added fuel isn't the energy potential though -- its the harm it causes engines and fuel systems. Manufacturers spend alot of time and money modifying their designs so that the harm is lessened, but in many cases, particularly with power equipment or generators, you have to doctor up the fuel. The biggest issue seems to be that Ethanol and water combine, and that varnishing and residue buildup occur.
Since ethanol has been in use in cars for quite a while, they are now designed for it and I don't have a concern for recent vehicles. Power equipment is a more of a concern, as it tends to be used for many years. "Premium" fuel without ethanol is the obvious solution, and since a relatively small volume of fuel is used in stuff such as lawn mowers and recreational generators, the cost shouldn't be a big issue.

This is a lot like the use of lead in gasoline. When it was first eliminated there was a genuine concern for older engines. Now, decades later, those racers and aircraft engine manufacturers that say they still need lead have no excuse and should just upgrade or retire their old crap.

Yes, alcohol absorbs water... but thats why it (methanol usually) is used as gas line antifreeze.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
. "Premium" fuel without ethanol is the obvious solution, and since a relatively small volume of fuel is used in stuff such as lawn mowers and recreational generators, the cost shouldn't be a big issue..
Alas, ethanol free fuel is impossible to find here Brian -- believe me, I've looked. I think it differs greatly from your analogy about leaded fuel in one key respect: it didnt really provide a benefit to the engine. Of course, ethanol fuels have been around for a long time. Even Henry Ford used corn based fuel. But plain gasoline works better. Its everywhere now because of other pressures: the reduction of oil imports, the desire to go "green" or "renewable" or a host of other reasons. The lead worked as an anti-knock additive which helped the older engines run better. Ethanol just doesnt make any modern passenger car run better.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape
Lead was added to gasoline to lubricate the valve train. Valve guides and seats.