Window Destroyed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Window Destroyed

So, we were driving along the Alaska Highway yesterday when I looked out my side mirror and saw the DS emergency window on our 2018 21 flapping in the wind. I immediately pulled over and discovered that the window had completely disintegrated around the entire perimeter with no sign of impact damage. Fortunately, it had not yet fallen out, so it is now fully encased with a roll of Duct tape. Duct tape was instrumental in getting the Apollo spacecraft back to Earth, right? I guess it’ll have to do for our small trailer until I figure out what to do next.

I’m not sure what “next” will be. We’re in the middle of nowhere, but we’ll be in Alaska in 10 days or so. These windows are special order items. I’ll call Reace when I get a cell signal and pick his brain. Maybe I can have a replacement window shipped ahead to an RV repair facility.

I’m hoping that Duct tape stuck to fiberglass for an extended period of time won’t damage the surface. I guess I’ll find out.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Was it the outer portion of the window? We had two of the smaller windows delaminate. The outer glass part came loose. The first one I was washing the vehicle to get ready for a rally and noticed a window appeared open. I used tape to hold them together until I was able to get replacements for them. I used BBQ lighter fluid to remove the tape residue and it did not stain ours.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had a similar experience years ago (non-Escape) with a Hehr escape hatch window, looked out the mirror and saw it flapping. Ours was not tempered glass or dual pane, and the glass shattered and sent a good bit of broken glass inside the trailer. I wound up duct taping a big piece of cardboard over it, we were within a day or two of home. But this was summer in Texas, and duct tape didn't hold up too well in the heat, had to stop a few times to add more. When you take the duct tape off you will find a sticky residue on the trailer but something like alcohol (with a lot of elbow grease) should take it off without hurting the fiberglass.

In looking at it later, and examining the replacement window, it looked to me like that arm that extends to open the window and then pulls inside and turns sideways to latch it closed had probably been bumped and bent slightly. It needs to have a bit of tension on it to hold it in the latched position, and if you find that it doesn't it's easy to bend it just a bit to get that tension back so it latches securely closed. After that experience it's always on our pre-departure checklist.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had to use duct tape a lot on my list trailer, started carrying the residue free type.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I had a similar experience with the exit window except it didn't shatter - it just left the trailer!

Pulled into a gas station on I10 and wife said "a window is missing". I went to look and all that was left of the exit window was the frame. It was there at the last gas station so it must have come off somewhere down the road. I didn't see it flapping and there wasn't a scratch on the trailer or damage to the frame. (see pic)

A fast call to Rease and a new window was ordered. In the meantime, a plate of plexiglass and gorilla tape covered the opening. Well, $400 and a months wait to get a new window and the trailer is back to like new. Never did figure out what caused the window to disappear but the release lever now has a velcro strap holding it just in case.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape overall.jpg  
Old 06-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Gorilla tape is great stuff. Would definitely recommend it on a window repair in a pinch. Regular duct tape doesn’t even compare.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am not overly enamoured with the latch of the emergency window. I would like to see something that feels more secure. I think I will look at a solution to ensure that it does not come open when travelling, maybe a backup strap like Tom uses.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am not overly enamoured with the latch of the emergency window. I would like to see something that feels more secure. I think I will look at a solution to ensure that it does not come open when travelling, maybe a backup strap like Tom uses.
Another brand that had the same type window as ours lost it and the guy swore up and down it was latched. After that I started checking ours. I think velco strapping it down might be a good idea. Thanks Tom.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Gorilla tape is great stuff. Would definitely recommend it on a window repair in a pinch. Regular duct tape doesn’t even compare.
Duct tape leaves a residue on the window that Gorilla tape doesn't. I know cause I am on my way out to scrape my egress window. I plan on donating my duct tape to the bin.

Mark
Old 06-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkevenson View Post
Duct tape leaves a residue on the window that Gorilla tape doesn't. I know cause I am on my way out to scrape my egress window. I plan on donating my duct tape to the bin.

Mark
I removed several rolls of crappy, cheap generic duct tape from my trailer several years ago. I learned the hard way if that $%^& is left on too long, the glue turns to concrete! I now only have no more residue duck tape in my life! It's waterproof and I've left it on my trailer for more than 4 months (leaking top tail lights), through the winter months and into the heat of spring. It truly came off cleanly and worked leak free! 3M also makes a version of this, maybe other manufacturers as well.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've been carrying around a role of gaffers tape, which is like a black duct tape that has a much better synthetic adhesive thats very sticky, but peels clean (it CAN lift paint, however) its kinda expensive, its from the theatrical business, used to 'gaff' wires on stage. (the gaffer is the stage electrician, lighting, etc guy)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
I've found that WD-40 if left on for a few minutes to soften the residue does a good job with out a lot of work.