Window Frame - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Window Frame

Our first thermal window replacement - seal broke on the small passenger side window in the front of the trailer and moisture showed up. Escape sent a replacement (non-thermal) and it needs to be installed. After this happened I did a walk around the trailer looking at the frames and sealing on the other windows and noticed a seam that had been filled in with what looks like a glob of silicone. I was told by Escape that the seam is normal, all windows that size have it and they sent me a picture of the window frame on one of the trailers on the sales floor. Missing was the glob of silicone. I'm wondering if others have the glob of silicone on their window frames - is this something they do after a trailer is built/sold? Reason I ask is I'm sure there are specks on how large that seam can be and I have not a clue what it looks like under the silicone. Also too what I don't understand is the window is the same size as the Fire Escape window and that one doesn't have the seam. I'm hoping you can help me out, let me know if you have the same seam and if silicone has been used on it.
Attached Thumbnails
20190514_101302.jpg   20190514_101315.jpg   IMAGE SENT BY ESCAPE.jpg  
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Mary those are not cracks but rather seams. When the aluminum extrusion is bent into shape to produce the window frames the 2 ends get siliconed together. This is done by the manufacturer and is normal.
The silicone on the frame in the photo you posted I will admit is not the neatest.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hi Mary those are not cracks but rather seams. When the aluminum extrusion is bent into shape to produce the window frames the 2 ends get siliconed together. This is done by the manufacturer and is normal.
The silicone on the frame in the photo you posted I will admit is not the neatest.

My mistake - I should of said seam vs crack as it is a seam. Do any of your windows have silicone on the seams?
Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My 2016 had the seams and silicone but the windows worked and I had no issues, nor has the new owners had any issues. Is there an issue with the window's function that you are asking about?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
My 2016 had the seams and silicone but the windows worked and I had no issues, nor has the new owners had any issues. Is there an issue with the window's function that you are asking about?

No issue with the function of the window. The seam on our window looks wider than the seam on the photo that was sent to me. That does concern me because the seal under the frame has a gap. Has me thinking the silicone was put on the seam to prevent water from entering where the seal is split. Right or wrong on that thought - I don't know.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔It wouldn’t be hard to carefully remove the ugly silicone with a razor blade, then do a careful application yourself. A finger moistened with mineral spirits does a really nice job of smoothing a fresh application.😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Window Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
No issue with the function of the window. The seam on our window looks wider than the seam on the photo that was sent to me. That does concern me because the seal under the frame has a gap. Has me thinking the silicone was put on the seam to prevent water from entering where the seal is split. Right or wrong on that thought - I don't know.

I have installed and repaired quite a few different rv and machinery windows while working as a glazier and one thing I can tell you that you can’t see is when you remove the frame and disassemble it there is usually a metal plate with screws holding the frame together on the inside and it is very well sealed, I’ve never seen one that leaked from that area.
I found this photo to show the connecting plate.
Hope this helps
Name:  IMG_4671.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  21.5 KB
Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I have installed and repaired quite a few different rv and machinery windows while working as a glazier and one thing I can tell you that you can’t see is when you remove the frame and disassemble it there is usually a metal plate with screws holding the frame together on the inside and it is very well sealed, I’ve never seen one that leaked from that area.
I found this photo to show the connecting plate.
Hope this helps
Attachment 39284

Thank you for the information
Old 05-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔It wouldn’t be hard to carefully remove the ugly silicone with a razor blade, then do a careful application yourself. A finger moistened with mineral spirits does a really nice job of smoothing a fresh application.😎

That may be what we'll have to do. How it looks now, well it doesn't look professional.