Window repair - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Window repair

Rookie mistake....closed awning while window was still open. Awning is okay, but the open/closing bars of the window twisted and popped out of the track on the window frame. (frameless windows) I have straightened them, but don't know how to get them back into track. I think I need to remove the crank assembly, but it seems to be riveted on....the two "rivets" don't have any way of untwisting them like a screw. So, not having the tools to re-riviet, and not knowing if that's the only way...I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. How do I get the bars back into the window-frame tracks?
Old 10-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2020
Window repair

You are not alone... we did the same rookie mistake this week and have the same problem. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Shelliro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #3

Well, I didn't keep my notes....but I found out where Escape got the windows from (might have to email Dustin). I called or e-mailed that supplier. They, in turn, gave me the name of the actual manufacturer (who has since changed their name, but they still operate under the old name for the moment.)... Then, I called their customer service department. They sent me out (I think at no cost), a couple of bronze colored pop rivets of the right size.

I did have to but a cheap rivet gun, but that was only about $15, and took a look on youtube to see how it works. Then I had to remove the window crank assembly. That was the hard part. The twisty handle thingie unscrews, but then you have to take out the old rivets in oder to remove the rest. It took more than just drilling out the holes....but eventually got them out without damaging the hole. It's important to not damage or enlarge the hole, or the new rivets won't fit.

Then, the slider arms went back into the window frame, being sure to put the spacer bar between them. Finally, the crank assembly can be riveted back on, and the crank handle screwed back in place.

This might have been easy for some folks, but it was all new to me. It took some work to find the right folks to call (I wish I still had their name and number), and taking out the old rivets was tough...but once done, it looks like new and I had a wonderful feeling of success and accomplishment....and I will never open that window again for any purpose at all!
Old 10-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

Shelliro ... I did find this old post of mine, which has the other info you!d need.
In case this happens again, and even regarding the roller replacement.... I called Hehr and their customer service folks were wonderful. ParKin is just a distributor. Hehr is, I guess, part of Lippert Components. Phone number 989-345-3061 might get you to customer service. They sent me out, at no cost, a pair of their original bronze rivets to repair the initial problem. Had to by a rivet gun for $16, but that was total cost, and now I also own a rivet gun. They were great to deal with and spent time with me, and, I'm sure, could probably offer solutions.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Rookie mistake....closed awning while window was still open. Awning is okay, but the open/closing bars of the window twisted and popped out of the track on the window frame. (frameless windows) I have straightened them, but don't know how to get them back into track. I think I need to remove the crank assembly, but it seems to be riveted on....the two "rivets" don't have any way of untwisting them like a screw. So, not having the tools to re-riviet, and not knowing if that's the only way...I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. How do I get the bars back into the window-frame tracks?
Reese has a video about window replacement. Follow that but only slide the window half way then put first roller in then slide until you get the spacer in then other roller and then back fully.
Also there is a youtube video about removing the rivets and using screw and self locking nut.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2020
Thanks so much! Appreciate the contact information.
Shelliro is offline   Reply With Quote