Winter Storage On Jack Stands - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Winter Storage On Jack Stands

We are about to put our new 19 into storage for the winter. I want to put it up on jack stands. When we had our 17B, we put it up on two jack stands, one on each side under the single axle. We now have a 19 with two axles so I need to know where the best place is to put the jack stands. Should I get two more and put them on each side under the axles or just use the two I have and put them on the frame between the two axles?

I'm a bit concerned putting just two on the frame because of the small surface area of the jack stands. I'm afraid the frame could bend there. Is this a valid concern? And, if I put one under each axle, since the axles are not independent and are rigidly attached tothe frame, it would be difficult to make sure each jack stand is taking its share of the weight.

Where is the preferred place to put the jack stands...on the axle(s) or the frame?

I'm in a quandary and need some advice. Anyone else putting their 19 on stands? If so, how did you do it?

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #2

Re: Winter Storage On Jack Stands

Also interested in an answer to this. Related does the 19' come with scissor jacks? The one we looked at before sending in our deposit did. If you had 4 scissor jacks that could support the weight of the frame would it be bad just to prop it up with the wheels hanging in the air.
Solar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Ours only has the single leg stabilizers. Another poster on this forum said they purchased and installed scissor jacks. I've asked for a more detailed explanation with photos but so far he hasn't replied. I've heard that the scissor jacks can support the trailer's weight which would be perfect.

Hopefully others will weigh in on this topic and provide some more information.

Doug
Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #4

Doug;

I did reply I guessed you missed it ,under modifications.
I explained how I installed the scissor jacks, directly behind the stabalizer legs.

If the whells on the 19 ft trailer wre about 1" further apart I would have purchased another set of jacks and mounted them in between the axles, to lift just the wheels as you are looking for. then used the other jacks just to balance the trailer.

as it is with the jacks mounted where they are and the inherent ridgidity of the trailer, I would have no qualms about lifting the trailer the way I have it now.

To answer the original question, purchase two sets of jacks, lift the trailer wheels off the ground, and place the jacks behind the wheels under the axles, using the stabalizers to ballance the trailer should work.

The temps up here are dropping below freezing every night now, but I have one more trip to make with the trailer before I put it to bed for the winter.
We will be putting our trailer in a commercial storage lot, and after it is set up will let you know how it works.

I did post an explanation of how the jacks were installed, I still do not know how to post pictures.

Doug; Whitehorse, Yukon
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #5

Sorry, Doug. I didn't go back there to look. For now, I think I'm going to go with two sets of jack stands and place one set on the frame just behind the rear axle and the other on the frame just ahead of the front axel. That should get the wheels off the ground and the tongue stand can act as a stabilizer.

I'm still going to consider the scissor jacks, especially if they can lift the trailer by themselves. Some say they can, others say don't try it. More research is needed.

Doug
Old 09-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

And, you're adding more weight to your light-weight trailer.

baglo
Old 09-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Gbaglo has a point. I don't know how much those things weigh but I'd bet it's substantial.

I had a reply from another fellow with a suggestion on how to easily put the 19 up on the jack stands without having to jack up the trailer. I'm going to try that first. If that doesn't work, I'll reconsider the scissor jacks. I wonder if Canadian Tire would stock some of decent quality?

Doug
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #8

With regard to putting more weight on a lite weight trailer, I guess it boils down to what is more important to you.

When I walk in my trailer I want it to be stable.
I do not want to carry leveling blocks, or the annoyance of setting them in place, pulling up on them, or putting them back in storage.

When I park I just want to turn the cranks a few turns, level the trailer then settle in, and know the trailer will not be moving around.

The scissors jacks will lift and level the trailer , No problem, end of story, a few minutes of work.
The scissors jacks will lift the trailer and wheels off the ground if rquired, and when the trailer is off the ground you can also lift the front end jck up to.
I can see no reason to do this other than raise the trailer to be put on stands for winter storage, but it can be done.

With regard to weight, the jacks weigh in at 30 pounds each, these jacks are made to stand the strain.

With regard to pulling the extra weight, my truck has 390 horse power under the hood when required.
In fact I got a speeding ticket going up hill with 800 pounds on the truck and pulling the trailer.
I did not get the ticket for speeding, I got it because I was speeding while pulling the trailer.

I guess you weigh what is more important for your comfort.

Doug
Old 09-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #9

I guess you weigh what is more important for your comfort.

Doug
[/quote]

True.

baglo
Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #10

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where
But I'm strong
Strong enough to carry him
He ain't heavy, he's my brother

So on we go
His welfare is my concern
No burden is he to bear
We'll get there
For I know
He would not encumber me

If I'm laden at all
I'm laden with sadness
That everyone's heart
Isn't filled with gladness
And love for one another

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return
While we're on the way to there
Why not share
And the load doesn't weigh me down at all

He's my brother
He ain't heavy, He's my brother

baglo
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

Need to add credits for the lyrics.

"He Ain't Heavy... He's My Brother" is a popular music ballad written by Bobby Scott and Bob Russell. Originally recorded by Kelly Gordon in 1969, the song became a worldwide hit for The Hollies later that year and again for Neil Diamond in 1970.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #12

About putting the jack stands under the axles -- seems to me I recall reading someplace that these Dexter axles can be damaged by putting the weight of the trailer on them, so we shouldn't jack the trailer with an axle jack, but jack it only by the frame. Tammy confirmed this method of jacking (by the frame) when I asked her about it a couple of years ago.

Apparently these axles have a torque tube inside them that acts as a spring, and being hollow tubes, they aren't engineered to take the bending stress that would be put on them by having the weight of the trailer bear down on one small spot.

Suggest we check this out with Tammy & Reace before accidentally getting into needing to replace an axle. The safest bet might be to put the jack stand under the frame.

I think the owner's manual may have something to say about how to jack, but I can't handily find it right now.

Happy storage!

And I must follow . . .
'09 17A with accessibility modifications
majaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #13

We recently went up to Faro for a couple of nights, the location where we parked was not anywhere near level.

I had to jack up the trailer on the off side from the door, with the scissors jacks I installed, I was glad to have them, took me about five minutes.

By the time the trailer leveled out the wheels on the off side to the door were 7"off the ground, as I said we were there for two noghts before we returned to Whitehorse.
The traile was extremely stable with all four jacks down.

Next week I am going up past Ross River on the North Canol road to see If I can get a Moose, I under stand the road is rough and do not expect to find a level plce to park the traier.
I am glad we now have the scissors jacks in place. For the hunters in the crowd I use a 6.5X55 with Norma 156 grains.

From my point of view scissors jacks are the only way to go.
For winter storage you can lift the trailer, place wood blocks under the frame, let the trailer rest on them and use the jacks for balance.

The temperatures at night are now going down to minus double digits and the snow is here.

Doug

Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #14

My 5.0 came with the factory scissor jacks. I asked Reace if they would be suitable for lifting the wheels off the ground (as the weight is well within the jack's capacity). His response was an emphatic "no," with the explanation that the frame was not stressed to take that weight. The 19's frame may be stronger, but I'd check with the factory first.

Dave (aka, Billy Buzzkill)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

When we picked up our 17B, Reace had installed scissor jacks that he said the supplier had mistakenly sent. I asked about jacking up the trailer with them and he said I could even use them to change tires if I ever need to. He said that the 17B frame was plenty strong. I love having them and suggest to people who see ours to ask Reace to add them as an option.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #16

That's really interesting. I'm going to have to follow up on that...sounds like I got conflicting information.
Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by majaross
About putting the jack stands under the axles -- seems to me I recall reading someplace that these Dexter axles can be damaged by putting the weight of the trailer on them, so we shouldn't jack the trailer with an axle jack, but jack it only by the frame. Tammy confirmed this method of jacking (by the frame) when I asked her about it a couple of years ago.

Apparently these axles have a torque tube inside them that acts as a spring, and being hollow tubes, they aren't engineered to take the bending stress that would be put on them by having the weight of the trailer bear down on one small spot.
I have a 16' Scamp and the manual says not to jack the trailer up using the axle. Scamp says to place the jack just in front or behind the axle on the frame.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T
When we picked up our 17B, Reace had installed scissor jacks that he said the supplier had mistakenly sent. I asked about jacking up the trailer with them and he said I could even use them to change tires if I ever need to. He said that the 17B frame was plenty strong. I love having them and suggest to people who see ours to ask Reace to add them as an option.

Eric
After reading more, I decided to contact Reace and Tammy to make sure it was ok to use the installed scissor jacks for winter storage. Tammy emailed me back and said: "Reace said in a emergency these jacks would be safe for changing the tire. However, for a long term storage they would pull the weight too far back from the axle so he does not recommend it for winter storage."

So my mistake in extrapolating what he said to me about using them to change a tire into thinking that that made it ok for winter storage also. Back to jack stands for me.

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300

Yukon Escape, you want a moose?

Including the majestic møøse A Møøse once bit my sister ... No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".
We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been sacked.
Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...
We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Møøse trained by TUTTE HERMSGERVøRDENBRøTBøRDA
Special Møøse Effects OLAF PROT
Møøse Costumes SIGGI CHURCHILL
Møøse Choreographed by HORST PROT III
Miss Taylor's Møøses by HENGST DOUGLAS-HOME
Møøse trained to mix concrete and sign complicated insurance forms by JURGEN WIGG
Møøses' noses wiped by BJORN IRKESTOM-SLATER WALKER
Large møøse on the left half side of the screen in the third scene from the end, given a thorough grounding in Latin, French and "O" Level Geography by BO BENN
Suggestive poses for the Møøse suggested by VIC ROTTER
Antler-care by LIV THATCHER

Could I interest you in a llama?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005-17B, 2013 - 5.0, Cabin, 2018-21'

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...orage_6-11.pdf

Checked the Dexter Axle site and the link above states that we should not be using the axle to lift and store the trailer.

Looks like I will putting jackstands on the frame.

Should I overcompensate and use four to distribute the weight better or is two good enough.
islandr is offline   Reply With Quote