Wiring in Backup Camera - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2023, 06:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Wiring in Backup Camera

So I purchased a Garmin BC-50 Backup Camera and it works great out the back window running off the 12 volt interior outlet in the trailer. (Alien tape and an aluminum angle)

The problem is the night vision, which reflects the infrared light (?) out of the camera off the back window.

Mounting it on the metal frame of the solar panel looks easy and convenient and the Wifi box could be easily mounted on the front of the solar panel's metal frame. Thinking of then running the 12 volt power line from the wireless wifi transmitter along with the solar panel wires down the fridge vent.

Any suggests on how & where to tap into 12 volt power once there.

I'd like to have it powered up while driving without draining the batteries when not driving...

Thanks.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I did the same thing, ran it down the fridge vent. There is a 12 volt feed to the fridge on mine, so I just tapped into that wire. Mine runs full time but I'm not worried about that since I have solar keeping the charge up all the time. If it's ever a problem I'll just add a switch to turn the power off.
It's kind of fun to come back to the campground and when you're about 1/4 mile away seeing the camera view from our camper parked at the campsite. I like using ours as an extra "rear view mirror" while on the highway.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Our camera on our E21 is wired to the center clearance light at the top rear corner of the roof. That way the camera is only powered when the parking lights of our Tacoma are turned on when we are driving. If the truck is not running or is unhooked, the camera is unpowered.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I did the same thing, ran it down the fridge vent. There is a 12 volt feed to the fridge on mine, so I just tapped into that wire. Mine runs full time but I'm not worried about that since I have solar keeping the charge up all the time. If it's ever a problem I'll just add a switch to turn the power off.
It's kind of fun to come back to the campground and when you're about 1/4 mile away seeing the camera view from our camper parked at the campsite. I like using ours as an extra "rear view mirror" while on the highway.
That's great, I'll have to figure out which wires but seems like easy fix with no holes in the fibreglass... Thanks.

The Garmin BC-50 has been a good solution as it leaves us with only one additional screen, our Garmin Thread which also includes inReach in the tow vehicle.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 06:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
This is good info.
I'm awaiting delivery of a backup camera and wifi transmitter for our 5.0TA.
I only drive in daylight so IR reflection shouldn't be an issue for me. I was planning to mount it inside my back window.
I had Reese build in a 12V feed to the cupboard above the back window so I'm all set that way.
I plan to use an old iPhone as a monitor with an app.
Does anyone have photos of their mounts?