Wknds at Whistler: Update #1 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19'
Wknds at Whistler: Update #1

We posted earlier thay we were going to be using our 19' as a ski cabin at Whistler, and were counting on the under-trailer foam insulation being sufficient tor.c prevent the water lines from freezing. Well, it is 7:36 am, the outside temperature is 23 degrees, and the water coming out of the cold water tap is quite warm! Until the lines clear, of course, and we get the water from the source.

On the other hand, I had relied on the double-glazing to prevent condensation building up on the glass overnight, and will now, after all, have to put a double layer of plastic "storm" windows over all the windows, including the frames. We used this technique successfully with our single-pane Casita windows.

We installed hypervent under the mattress and along the rear wall; the mattress and wall are completely dry, but the wall in the dining area is moist where it meets the cushions, so we will need to put hypervent there too.

When we generate moisture from cooking (making coffee, for example) we turn on both ceiling fans to suck air out on the lowest setting. Because the space heater is on the floor, that does't seem to have much impact on the interior heat.

So far, so good
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Sounds pretty much like our cold weather experience.

Where do you park at Whistler?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19'
Riverside RV Park. We stayed there for 6 weeks in 2004, and again for a week in 2008 and 2010. This is our first stay in an Escape.

So, while we are connecting can I ask whether you experienced condensation on the outside walls of the area under the bed? We had the insulation package and were surprised to find the insulation moist this morning (we drove up Saturday,so this was after 2 nights of being here). Our bed setup is two bench seats with an insert joining them across the back, and a 2nd one added at night. In theory, there should be good airflow, as the floor is open all the way from the front to the back. But no.

We thought it might be caused by the lack of ventilation --- although we did install vents --- but the walls inside the dining area bench seats were completely dry even though the seats were unvented. We think it might be that our space heater was sitting under the dining table, heating that area beautifully, while the back of the trailer just never got a strong enough flow of warm air. So we will get a second space heater and keep it under the bed.

Did you put even more insulation in the under-bed area, and if so, what did you do?

Also, did you insulate the front door, and with what? We have had no success at all with front door insulating, in either of our two previous trailers.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
Did you put even more insulation in the under-bed area, and if so, what did you do?

Also, did you insulate the front door, and with what? We have had no success at all with front door insulating, in either of our two previous trailers.
Thanks for the RV Park info. I'm surprised that there's any place at all in that area to take an RV given the incredible shortage of worker housing and some living in vans etc.

My trailer is a completely oddball situation compared to all others. I have the conventional queen bed. Doing mods in the trailer in freezing weather I took a few temperature readings. I found the area under the bed to be pretty much the ambient outside temperature partly due to the R zero value of the hatch and about R 1 value of the reflectix despite the rest of the trailer being warm from the electric heater.

I treated the area under the bed as unheated crawlspace. I insulated the underside of the bed deck with solid foam and the mattress has air space under it from the IKEA bed slats.

While I believe that the underside foam makes for a warmer floor to walk barefoot on I don't really think that it's a factor in issues such as condensation on the walls. That's caused by the fact that reflectix or not, it's not a heck of a lot of insulation, the walls cold and condensation occurs.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:07 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Cold, cold earth outside
hot, humid humans inside.
Condensation.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:03 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A couple of questions, what type windows do you have, the framed or frameless? Do you have the vinyl on the cushions or full wrap? Do you have the 12v heat pads? I also thought you did not get the bed in the rear?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The door is supposed to be insulated, but I plan on installing a plastic panel on the screen door, to make it useable in the fall. That should help with issues with the door.