Wobbly Table - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21'
Wobbly Table

We have the u shaped dinette in a 21. The table is getting very wobbly. The screws are all still tight. The legs have just compressed too much on the ends over time. I tried banging them back out without much luck. Does anyone know of a solution?

My wife and I work a lot at the table so if there is a better option than the stock table we would love to hear about it. We do need to use the bed.

Thanks for any ideas!
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maury&Julie View Post
We have the u shaped dinette in a 21. The table is getting very wobbly. The screws are all still tight. The legs have just compressed too much on the ends over time. I tried banging them back out without much luck. Does anyone know of a solution?

My wife and I work a lot at the table so if there is a better option than the stock table we would love to hear about it. We do need to use the bed.

Thanks for any ideas!
With sockets and poles, they will get more wobbly over time. You could replace the poles and that might work for awhile, but I would recommend a better table base - like my Springfield Marine 3 stage pneumatic pedestal. Very little wobble because the base is much wider. It is a permanent installation however, which means you can't remove the table like you can with the stock sockets and poles.

Another system I like is the Lagun table system, although I suspect there is a bit more wobble with that than with the Springfield Marine pedestal. The biggest advantage to the Lagun system is the ability to remove the table, and nothing is mounted to the floor.

Using either of these systems still allows you to convert to a bed, since you're still using the stock table top.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:01 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
I've been considering both the Springfield, the Lagun or a higher quality removable pedestal (single) to replace the two cheap legs in my 5.0.

I seldom (once ever) use the dinette as a bed, so I'm reluctant to spend the big money for the permanent Springfield. Although, I'm sure they are solid as a rock (should be for $300ish).

Since easy conversion is not an issue, I would more likely go with a better quality removable leg, but I worry about stability. There's the Sequoia, Redwood, and maybe the Magma BBQ stand, and a few others in the running, between $100 and $200.

The positional flexibility of the Lagun is very appealing, and I think with proper bracing, would be reasonably stable with the original table and slide. Unfortunately, previous mods and added equipment make installation difficult in my trailer, but possible. The price seems reasonable at about $220 CDN, delivered. I'm also thinking I could fashion my own copy out of steel pipe. Might be fun, but I don't need another project… but it might be fun.

And then I saw this grinder stand at Princess Auto for $45! I think, with a little modification (knobs vice bolts for example), some paint on the feet… it could work. It could work really well! …and the cheap… I mean, frugal Scotsman in me appreciates the price.
Attached Thumbnails
8590325.jpg   8590325_in1.jpg  
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 AM   #4

Found a Springfield like unit for $185 CDN, delivered.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/all-ped...le-pedestal-25

This site has many options, including the Lagun, and seems set up for world sales. Don't know about import fees.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:52 AM   #5

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
Found a Springfield like unit for $185 CDN, delivered.

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/all-ped...le-pedestal-25

This site has many options, including the Lagun, and seems set up for world sales. Don't know about import fees.
It will be interesting to read the review from the first person here who buys or sees one.
From what I see it is held in position by the force of a bolt pressing against the post versus a collar clamping the post in position. I wonder how stiff it will be. And the table mount is 7.11X711. versus 12X12 for the Springfield and 9 inches in diameter at the base versus 12 inches in diameter.
Here is the manufacture if someone wants to contact them to see who in either Canada or the U.S.A. might carry it.
EASTSUN MARINE
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
I've been considering both the Springfield, the Lagun or a higher quality removable pedestal (single) to replace the two cheap legs in my 5.0.

I seldom (once ever) use the dinette as a bed, so I'm reluctant to spend the big money for the permanent Springfield. Although, I'm sure they are solid as a rock (should be for $300ish).

Since easy conversion is not an issue, I would more likely go with a better quality removable leg, but I worry about stability. There's the Sequoia, Redwood, and maybe the Magma BBQ stand, and a few others in the running, between $100 and $200.

The positional flexibility of the Lagun is very appealing, and I think with proper bracing, would be reasonably stable with the original table and slide. Unfortunately, previous mods and added equipment make installation difficult in my trailer, but possible. The price seems reasonable at about $220 CDN, delivered. I'm also thinking I could fashion my own copy out of steel pipe. Might be fun, but I don't need another project… but it might be fun.

And then I saw this grinder stand at Princess Auto for $45! I think, with a little modification (knobs vice bolts for example), some paint on the feet… it could work. It could work really well! …and the cheap… I mean, frugal Scotsman in me appreciates the price.
That base doesn't have a very wide stance, unless it weighs a ton don't think it will be very stable. We have the Lagun and really like it. Table removes easily and the dog has the entire floor under the table. You definitely have to reinforce the mounting wall but not having anything on the floor under table made it worth it for us.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
That base doesn't have a very wide stance, unless it weighs a ton don't think it will be very stable. We have the Lagun and really like it. Table removes easily and the dog has the entire floor under the table. You definitely have to reinforce the mounting wall but not having anything on the floor under table made it worth it for us.
The other problem with that particular base is attaching it. The narrower base is compensated for by using rather chunky hardware to screw it down. You're limited to how long the screws can be due to the proximity to the shell.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Only on sale until Dec 10 at Princess Auto. Should be strong enough at almost 20 lbs. It is 29.5 inches high. With my trailer not built yet I have no idea of what the stock table height is and if this is a suitable height. I would have no problem in using 3 bolts in the provided base holes to mount the base through the floor...just use a thin rubber washer on the underside as a seal.
Attached Thumbnails
CB3F2A4E-9AF6-4C68-988D-3FEE93D59DF3.jpg  
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The other problem with that particular base is attaching it. The narrower base is compensated for by using rather chunky hardware to screw it down. You're limited to how long the screws can be due to the proximity to the shell.
Chunky is an appropriate word, as is heavy, and it's not very pretty. I just have to decide how cheap I am, and if I'm willing to compromise on those things.

The stance of the feet however, is actually quite wide compared to the 6 or 7 inch ring on a proper pedestal (Springfield notwithstanding). That should compensate for the fact that it has 3 feet instead of a ring. I use one for is intended purpose, and I don't think stability will be a problem; ugly is though.

The unobscured under table space, provided by the Lagun, is however very attractive. If only I hadn't mounted an inverter outlet/switch and 12v socket where the base goes. But I'm still leaning toward the Lagun.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 21'
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Everything in the escape so solidly built that the wobbly table is a bit of an eyesore. Also, since my wife and I live and work on the road, a wobbly table is a constant annoyance. So we are willing to spend money to get something really good.

From what I can see here it looks like the Cadillac of options is the Springfield. On Amazon with shipping $400! Ouch! But worth it to us if it is a good solution.

Is this the one that you have? https://www.amazon.com/Springfield-M...SIN=B003ZOLBBU
Maury&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
The unobscured under table space, provided by the Lagun, is however very attractive. If only I hadn't mounted an inverter outlet/switch and 12v socket where the base goes. But I'm still leaning towards the Lagun.
John, I don't think the Lagun mounting point has to be centered along the bench face. In fact, I've seen them installed off to one side on purpose. Because of the telescoping and swiveling function, you can probably 'center' the table top even if the mount isn't in the middle.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I
I'm also thinking I could fashion my own copy out of steel pipe. Might be fun, but I don't need another project… but it might be fun.

And then I saw this grinder stand at Princess Auto for $4
Yup, building stuff is enjoyable. I made my own base based on my own preferences. I refused to have the cheap tube base installed. I want my table stable. I don't require the table to go down and I don't like the base taking up prime foot area.

So I made a base from 1" square aluminum tube, very light. The front foot is right against the front wall, doesn't take up foot space. The rear foot is crossways and again, doesn't take up foot space. Works for me. When I eventually sell the trailer it'll go with this base and the brand new, never installed, factory tubes.

I have to say, as much as I like adapting things to use in another way the grinder stand base is way too clunky and in the way of feet for my liking.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
24-04-2014 10-51-34 AM1_resize.JPG   P4230050_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
John, I don't think the Lagun mounting point has to be centered along the bench face. In fact, I've seen them installed off to one side on purpose. Because of the telescoping and swiveling function, you can probably 'center' the table top even if the mount isn't in the middle.
I was thinking that. I'll do the math to see how far too one side I can move it, and still get it to center.

I've been considering the Lagun is really what I want even if I need to relocate the inverter outlet (mostly so the spoiled little dog has more room).

Maybe I'm not as cheap as they say I am.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #14

Just looking outside and...bird bath perhaps!
Attached Thumbnails
CE96CDC9-8FB7-47F3-8584-8BE563ACEA5A.jpg  
Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, building stuff is enjoyable. I made my own base based on my own preferences. I refused to have the cheap tube base installed. I want my table stable. I don't require the table to go down and I don't like the base taking up prime foot area.

So I made a base from 1" square aluminum tube, very light. The front foot is right against the front wall, doesn't take up foot space. The rear foot is crossways and again, doesn't take up foot space. Works for me. When I eventually sell the trailer it'll go with this base and the brand new, never installed, factory tubes.

I have to say, as much as I like adapting things to use in another way the grinder stand base is way too clunky and in the way of feet for my liking.

Ron
"Stable table"; very whitty.

I like your idea, it looks clean, simple, and practical, but I also like to slide and rotate the table. When I'm parked, I often remove one of the tubes so I can do just that.

Yours is temptingly simple though. More to think about.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Just looking outside and...bird bath perhaps!
Never thought of a bird bath, but I did consider a bar stool.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #17

Love the bar stool...looks like the top comes with a back splash!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
but I also like to slide and rotate the table. When I'm parked, I often remove one of the tubes so I can do just that.

Yours is temptingly simple though. More to think about.

Well, I only get 1 out of 2 on that. My table still slides side-to-side which would be a feature that I wouldn't have given up.

Yup, simple, once you get it all figured out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Well, I only get 1 out of 2 on that. My table still slides side-to-side which would be a feature that I wouldn't have given up.

Yup, simple, once you get it all figured out.

Ron
Simple for me. You've already figured it out.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
johnE3, here's a video of a lagun-like table this guy made. I probably got it from this forum somewhere but can't find it again except in the email i sent to myself.

https://walabot.com/diy??utm_source=...hoC4CgQAvD_BwE

Tags
table, wobbly