wow- solar blew off! - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When there is a recall, you take your vehicle in to be fixed, right. So why would you not use the kit, provided by the manufacturer to fix a known issue? You are risking others by not taking proper known procedures to make sure your solar is secure. Use the kit.....checking does not prevent failure, bolts will.
When your vehicle has an issue or is subject to a recall then you take it to the dealer and the work is performed by the dealer under warranty . Many people have neither the tools , knowledge , mechanical skills , physical ability or acumen to perform modifications or repairs on a FG trailer . Sending someone the necessary parts and a set of instructions is not the solution to the problem. IMHO
If Escape is willing to perform the necessary modifications / repairs at the factory or pay for a competent local person / business to perform the work then I see no issue . but just sending out a repair kit and expecting the consumer to do his / her own warranty work seems a bit of a stretch.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
After ETI checked my panel and said it was okay, I didn't really think it was a problem. However, to be sure, at the next opportunity I'll secure the panel to something else on the roof, probably the air conditioner, with safety wire. That won't keep the panel from coming loose but it will keep it from flying away. That will have to do until I return home.

Does this seem reasonable, or is there a better temporary fix that will minimize the potential hazard?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
When your vehicle has an issue or is subject to a recall then you take it to the dealer and the work is performed by the dealer under warranty . Many people have neither the tools , knowledge , mechanical skills , physical ability or acumen to perform modifications or repairs on a FG trailer . Sending someone the necessary parts and a set of instructions is not the solution to the problem. IMHO
If Escape is willing to perform the necessary modifications / repairs at the factory or pay for a competent local person / business to perform the work then I see no issue . but just sending out a repair kit and expecting the consumer to do his / her own warranty work seems a bit of a stretch.
Amen on that- AND- never cared for the fix they came up with. I don't want a method whereby condensation is allowed to travel through the headliner.

Klem's method of using three 1x4 PVC sticks stacked together gives 160 sq. inches of contact area embedded in 5200 vs. those skinny aluminum rails.

Makes you wonder if there was ever any engineering done in the first place in the original method by Escape.

Sorry for the Doom & Gloom.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...f-5742-23.html
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
man am I disappointed with my "build quality" right now. I just noticed my solar panel is GONE. I saw the wires sticking up so I climbed up and found this! The panel is totally gone. The bond between the gel coat and the framework of the panel totally parted. ETI better figure out a better bond than this! fuming in Pennsylvania....

steve

http://www.escapeforum.org/attachmen...85a1169789.jpg
Well, I have to ask the stupid question: How do you know that someone did not rip it off of there stealing it?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Interesting. You should be able to tell if the panel's power wire was torn loose or cut, indicating a theft.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Well, I have to ask the stupid question: How do you know that someone did not rip it off of there stealing it?
If the panel was properly anchored to the roof then a thief should not be able to just RIP it off . ?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #27

I would think that just about any application could be ripped out of there.

There are many of you who have bought used Escapes. I can only suggest that you give Escape all of your contact information so that they can tell you of any recalls.

flatpick, will your insurance cover much of this? Did you give Escape your contact info and they did not tell you of the recall? You must have missed seeing the recall here even though I know you were on here quite a few times.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Interesting. You should be able to tell if the panel's power wire was torn loose or cut, indicating a theft.
Not if they wanted you to think that it just blew off instead of making it obvious that it was stolen. Or, they did not need to cut anything to get it. Of course, Steve may know that it blew off.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #29

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
man am I disappointed with my "build quality" right now. I just noticed my solar panel is GONE. I saw the wires sticking up so I climbed up and found this! The panel is totally gone. The bond between the gel coat and the framework of the panel totally parted. ETI better figure out a better bond than this! fuming in Pennsylvania....
steve

http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2av2zshy.jpg
steve..while it does not solve your issue and it is a bummer to say the least.... here is a link to another thread with regard to the current Escape solar mounting method

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...cape-8873.html
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:33 AM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe Escape will reimburse you for the repair while under the 2 year warranty and if you are the original owner.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe Escape will reimburse you for the repair while under the 2 year warranty and if you are the original owner.
Hi: cpaharley2008... I agree 100%.
The OP's pic begs more questions than answers. More pic's and closeups are required. Yes the panel is gone... but there's more to it than that. I can't remember seeing an A/C install like that either. Maybe it too was added afterward? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I haven't used mine either, but I check the panel before leaving on a trip. I'm sure that's not often enough, but it would be a pain to drag out a step ladder and shake the panel every time I gas up. How do you check yours when you stop for gas? Would poking it with a broomstick be enough?
Just step up on the bumper where I (at 5' 9") can visualize the seams. This works unless the failure is sudden. Humm.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
wires were torn not cut plus thieves would have had to pry it off. no sign of pry. yes AC was after thought. Camping World install.

just want it fixed!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
A VHB process has been used at AM solar for years with no reports of failure. ETI didn't use VHB if I recall, but used epoxy which has to be mixed and applied perfectly or it can fail.
I agree with Ron, first thing that came to mind was that I pray no one got injured when that panel went sailing since the owner had no idea it separated. The bigger issue here is the potential risk to have injuries or death occur and I hope there are not more of these epoxied units running around.
AM Solar is still using VHB for some of their solar mounts. Not surprising that they suggest that two can be used per corner to improve mount strength. So that would be 8 mounts on a single panel.
RV Solar Panel Mounts - Mounting Solar Panels on RV - RV Solar Panel Mounting Brackets

I know VHB sticks like crazy but I also know the forces on something in a 70 mph straight line wind. Personally, if I add solar I will select a panel that spans the trailer width and allows spacing the mounts so that a bolt thru solution can be used that has the attachments land in the upper cabinet area like ETI does now.

It is very irresponsible to know about a problem of this magnitude and not fix it. If someone is uncomfortable drilling into the fiberglass to add the reinforcement kit then I'm sure they can work with ETI to have it done at a local shop. We all have family out on the road and nobody wants to even think about them getting hit by a large object flying off a trailer roof.
http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...elWarranty.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
wires were torn not cut plus thieves would have had to pry it off. no sign of pry. yes AC was after thought. Camping World install.

just want it fixed!

steve
Hi: flatpick... Sure can understand you want a fix. Is a trip to ETI with an appointment for a replacement panel a possibility? They may just be able to work with you to resolve the issue and the new panels are more productive than the older versions. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
AM Solar is still using VHB for some of their solar mounts. Not surprising that they suggest that two can be used per corner to improve mount strength. So that would be 8 mounts on a single panel.
RV Solar Panel Mounts - Mounting Solar Panels on RV - RV Solar Panel Mounting Brackets

I know VHB sticks like crazy but I also know the forces on something in a 70 mph straight line wind. Personally, if I add solar I will select a panel that spans the trailer width and allows spacing the mounts so that a bolt thru solution can be used that has the attachments land in the upper cabinet area like ETI does now.

It is very irresponsible to know about a problem of this magnitude and not fix it. If someone is uncomfortable drilling into the fiberglass to add the reinforcement kit then I'm sure they can work with ETI to have it done at a local shop. We all have family out on the road and nobody wants to even think about them getting hit by a large object flying off a trailer roof.
http://escapetrailer.com/wp-content/...elWarranty.pdf
Not sure what you are talking about with AM Solar. I opened your link and saw different sets of 4 brackets shown. In any event they do have much more experience and don't put profits above method as many RV mfg. do(Not saying ETI does). They are the experts and am going to contact them to do the job right. From their site:

Edit: I do see their L feet and that they can be used two to a corner for better strength.
http://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-ki...ng-accessories

Roof Attachment
Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay.

Mounts
Old 05-08-2017, 10:07 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Not sure what you are talking about with AM Solar. .... They are the experts and am going to contact them to do the job right.
And you know they're crazy busy and it may take weeks, if not months, to get an appointment with them... right?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about with AM Solar. I opened your link and saw different sets of 4 brackets shown. In any event they do have much more experience and don't put profits above method as many RV mfg. do(Not saying ETI does). They are the experts and am going to contact them to do the job right. From their site:

Edit: I do see their L feet and that they can be used two to a corner for better strength.

Roof Attachment
Fiberglass roofs – We have been using a type of 3M double-sided tape on our mounts since the mid 1990’s, and we have never lost a panel. As long as the tape is properly installed on a clean surface at the correct temperature, it will hold. As an added level of protection, we use a layer of Dicor self-leveling sealant around the entire perimeter of the mount, and cover the screw holes/heads as well. The sealant protects the tape and any potential roof penetrations from water intrusion and decay.

Mounts
Rossue it looks like you found it. It suggests two feet could be used per corner. Maybe just for bigger panels that you wouldn't tilt? Certainly not suggesting that the VHB method that AM Solar has used is or would be problematic - it clearly has been successful over time. I think the sealant on top is key. I know more holes in a roof make some squirm, but I still would feel more comfortable personally with mounts that bolt through the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
AM solar mounting feet.JPG  
Old 05-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Rossue it looks like you found it. It suggests two feet could be used per corner. Maybe just for bigger panels that you wouldn't tilt? Certainly not suggesting that the VHB method that AM Solar has used is or would be problematic - it clearly has been successful over time. I think the sealant on top is key. I know more holes in a roof make some squirm, but I still would feel more comfortable personally with mounts that bolt through the roof.
Dave- just got off phone with AM Solar and sent them a picture with measurements. Their tall mount should be suitable; they are studying the photo and measurements. Am interested in the tilt-up, which was told that would be the only thing that would work here(not sure exactly why yet). Doing the ETI fix would not allow me to tilt it up, and its not the holes as much as a concern about headliner separation from continual condensation flowing through. Perhaps that is an unfounded concern, yet it seems to me that there is a better way for Escape to be doing these installs with the potential of tilt; why not use a the same method as AM Solar? Their track record speaks for itself.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Dave- just got off phone with AM Solar and sent them a picture with measurements. Their tall mount should be suitable; they are studying the photo and measurements. Am interested in the tilt-up, which was told that would be the only thing that would work here(not sure exactly why yet). Doing the ETI fix would not allow me to tilt it up, and its not the holes as much as a concern about headliner separation from continual condensation flowing through. Perhaps that is an unfounded concern, yet it seems to me that there is a better way for Escape to be doing these installs with the potential of tilt; why not use a the same method as AM Solar? Their track record speaks for itself.
Please keep us posted. Always interested in creative solutions to unique problems.