wow- solar blew off! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
To the OP, do you know if your roof was factory-reinforced for AC? Does anyone know when ETI started reinforcing all roofs for the AC? I know the early ones were not necessarily done if not ordered with AC at the time. I can imagine a lot of roof flexing with the weight of an AC unit on a non-reinforced roof, which could have contributed to the epoxy failure. This is neither here nor there now that the panel is gone, but it would probably be worth following up about the roof structure.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
To the OP, do you know if your roof was factory-reinforced for AC? Does anyone know when ETI started reinforcing all roofs for the AC? I know the early ones were not necessarily done if not ordered with AC at the time. I can imagine a lot of roof flexing with the weight of an AC unit on a non-reinforced roof, which could have contributed to the epoxy failure. This is neither here nor there now that the panel is gone, but it would probably be worth following up about the roof structure.
Now that you mention it, looking at the OP's picture again there appears to be some sort of fiberglass cap placed over the camper shell under the A/C unit. I don't know if this was standard or not back then. I guess this panel was on the front of the trailer?
Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Now that you mention it, looking at the OP's picture again there appears to be some sort of fiberglass cap placed over the camper shell under the A/C unit. I don't know if this was standard or not back then.
I wondered about that also. Maybe the factory reinforcement was on top?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is how Escape reinforced the roof back then on the non a/c units. If you got the a/c that piece was added, my 2012 had it. Sometime that year or later they changed molds and the a/c shroud was included in the roof as was the prewiring on all units and it was no longer a separate piece but molded in. My 2014 did not have the separate piece with the a/c option.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #85

Ah, thanks. Well, that returns the focus to the panel mounts.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #86

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Pat One edge of the panel touches the roof. They seem to move as one unit because no chafing is apparent. But if needed a small piece of " something" would work.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #87

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
Yep. It was built ac ready. Aluminum does not stick to epoxy.period.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #88

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
... Aluminum does not stick to epoxy.period.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I think some engineers in the aerospace industry might disagree with that statement...

Or even Permatex Metal Epoxy

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #89

Trailer: 17
Op , are you the original owner? Second did you get a solar bracket kit? I didn't see the answers to those yet, thanks.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #90

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is how Escape reinforced the roof back then on the non a/c units. If you got the a/c that piece was added, my 2012 had it. Sometime that year or later they changed molds and the a/c shroud was included in the roof as was the prewiring on all units and it was no longer a separate piece but molded in. My 2014 did not have the separate piece with the a/c option.
Here is another picture of the external A/C reinforcement used on the older trailers before they integrated it into the molds. Took this when I removed the A/C and put in the vent. Roof could use a good cleaning and wax.
Attached Thumbnails
AC reinforcement.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #91

Thanks for that pic. I didn't realize that was ETI's reinforcement method originally. Friends who owned one of the first 19s didn't get AC and had a smooth roof with only the vent.

Flatpick, you certainly had a bit of bad luck. While not a planned event, maybe it's a good time to go for one of the newer, larger panels (with better mounts as well).
Old 06-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ross, looking forward to seeing the solar retrofit on your trailer, they do excellent work and you'll see some cutting edge stuff when you head up there for the install.
After talking with another 21 owner who had AM Solar do his two panels he said he did not use the tilt-up except to clean. Using AM's methodology I had some larger brackets made(ETI's were too small & ?) and used the VHB 4950 they use- Solar Panel Kits for RV - Solar Panels RV - DIY RV Solar. Then added Dicor self-leveling lap sealant to finish.
Attached Thumbnails
solar mount.jpg   solar mount2.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #93

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Nice work, Ross. Looks solid with the larger mounts.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #94

Thanks Greg- at least one other owner has done the same.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #95

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like it Ross, think I'll do the same. AM Solar mentions you need to clean the fiberglass "correctly", what did you use?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:22 AM   #96

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I haven't used mine either, but I check the panel before leaving on a trip. I'm sure that's not often enough, but it would be a pain to drag out a step ladder and shake the panel every time I gas up. How do you check yours when you stop for gas? Would poking it with a broomstick be enough?
I guess I never answered your question. I just step up on the bumper, visually inspect the glue lines, and tug on the mounts.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I like it Ross, think I'll do the same. AM Solar mentions you need to clean the fiberglass "correctly", what did you use?
After using dish soap & water just use isopropyl. As mentioned in the video be sure of where you want the feet planted as it isn't going to be moved later. I traced with a pencil the outer perimeter then held the bracket tight against the panel as I pushed it down as square as possible to the roof. In a worst case scenario something like piano wire could be used to slice through so one could start over.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
After talking with another 21 owner who had AM Solar do his two panels he said he did not use the tilt-up except to clean. Using AM's methodology I had some larger brackets made(ETI's were too small & ?) and used the VHB 4950 they use- Solar Panel Kits for RV - Solar Panels RV - DIY RV Solar. Then added Dicor self-leveling lap sealant to finish.
Is there a reason, other than cost, of fabricating brackets vs using the AM Solar brackets? I am also interested in how you prepared the surface for the VHB. Did you remove the gel coat or just clean it?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #99

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That should certainly hold good, Ross.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Is there a reason, other than cost, of fabricating brackets vs using the AM Solar brackets? I am also interested in how you prepared the surface for the VHB. Did you remove the gel coat or just clean it?
Good question. Originally I was talking with them about doing the tilt-up, yet it was going to entail abandoning the original mounts. I determined we did not need that, and would need a ladder to utilize. Then, with the panel in place their mounts weren't tall enough. Had a local fabricator make 4" X 4" brackets; cost was $40.
The ETI brackets probably would have worked, however they were designed for bolt through and I felt having a larger footprint was a good idea for a small cost.

Edit: I just cleaned the gel coat very well and used a Scotch 3M scouring pad.

Used this tape from Amazon: 3M VHB Tape 4950, 3 in width x 4 in length (Pack of 12). Cost $22.