yellow paint! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yellow paint!

We accidentally drove on a newly painted middle line when we were in Canada. by the time we saw the painting truck it was too late. yellow paint in my trailer wheel wells and on my truck/trailer mud flaps and a little on the bumper. not a huge amount but... doesn't look like it would ever come off. thinking of painting the mud flaps (its just on the underside) with flat black paint. and the trailer wheel wells with dover white krylon fusion paint. what do you think?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Join the club. Only I drove through white paint. On the truck all the way back to the rear bumper of the trailer. Up the front of Ten Forward on the door side, part of the steps and the awning arms. What a mess!

BUT, because Ten Forward was waxed, I was able to scrap it off the fiberglass using a plastic spoon and a non-serrated plastic knife. No damage to the gelcoat... whew. And it came off cleanly on the awning arms. I've yet to get it off the black metal parts... those I'll eventually sand and paint.

Good luck Kate!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
We accidentally drove on a newly painted middle line when we were in Canada. by the time we saw the painting truck it was too late. yellow paint in my trailer wheel wells and on my truck/trailer mud flaps and a little on the bumper. not a huge amount but... doesn't look like it would ever come off. thinking of painting the mud flaps (its just on the underside) with flat black paint. and the trailer wheel wells with dover white krylon fusion paint. what do you think?
I think I would try paint thinner, then acetone, then MEK. Available in quarts at good paint stores. In an outdoor space away from fire or flame on a breezy day with a mask and rubber gloves. We removed a lot of vandalism and cleaned up a lot of spray paint equipment with these products.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I hope you imported that Canadian paint legally, and reported it as goods brought into the country on your way home.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Rolled over line of new yellow paint like you and grafitti remover got it off with some effort. Still find a speck here & there to remind me not to do it again!
Old 06-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave;251434
I think I would try paint thinner, then acetone, then MEK.
Iowa Dave
I use either acetone or lacquer thinner. Wipe on, wipe off, done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Got behind a manure hauler, I had a swarm of flies all over the front of the trailer until we hit some rain 2 days later.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I used to work in Oxnard, CA, a city largely supporting surrounding agriculture. I found pretty quickly that the odd-looking trailers I sometimes followed out of town at the end of the work day were causing the pits in my car's grille. There's an onion processor in town, and the trailers carry the peelings & onion juice leavings out to the fields to be plowed back in to the soil. Turns out that the onion juice dripping through the trailer seams is 12% sulfuric acid. So..........
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Turns out that the onion juice dripping through the trailer seams is 12% sulfuric acid. So..........

Sure about that?
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/life-sc...lium-cepa.html
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 9.52.43 PM.png  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
"When onions are cut or even bruised, their cell walls are broken and a volatile sulphurous compound with the help of an enzyme in the onion juice turns into an acid that causes the burn. ... Onions contain a molecular cousin of sulphuric acid known as allinin." and "Enzymes and “amino acid sulfoxide” chemicals from inside the cells react to produce a volatile sulfur gas. This gas wafts up from the onion and reacts with the natural water in your eye to form sulfuric acid, which brings about the familiar stinging sensation."

No wonder my eyes burn when I'm cutting up onions!!

Back to topic, we had a run-in with a blue truck one time and I was able to carefully remove the streaks of blue paint with a Mr. Clean eraser ... followed by a polishing.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Sure about that?

Yes. As part of a hazmat enforcement action, the Fire Dept. Prevention Bureau (of which I was a part) worked with the processing facility staff to mitigate the hazard. Per the analysis report that the plant manager gave me, once the liquid leaves the onion and makes it to the trailer for transport, it is indeed 12% H2SO4. Welcome to chap. 54 of the state Fire Code.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote