17B tow hitch ball height - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: Escape 17B
Posts: 15
17B tow hitch ball height

Hi there,
Another question for newbie, Anybody can help please? I am unable to get official info of 17B hitch height, some people say 17" some say 19" some say we need to meas. loaded height, really confusing......
Thank you.
__________________

mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,159
Maybe this will help. Maybe not.
When I picked up my 17B, Reace installed the weight distribution hitch. He adjusted it to the trailer and the tow vehicle.
He measured the distance from the hitch to a piece of 1X6 on the ground. Then he dropped the trailer onto the ball and measured again, determining that the vehicle dropped two inches.

My point being, that you need to do some measurements with the actual trailer and tow vehicle and hitch ball to know what needs to be adjusted and how much.
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Posts: 351
Here is a direct quote from Tammy for my 17b from 2 years ago:

"The ball height is 18”. This means the trailer will ride level when the top of the ball measures 18” from the ground with the trailer loaded."

And I believe you should typically expect about 1" of drop when going from an unloaded vehicle to a loaded vehicle, so your ball height should be around 19" when unloaded, but this will depend on the specifics of the vehicle and your tongue weight. I think my vehicle for instance drops a little more than 1" when loaded.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
EdColorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Front Range, Colorado
Trailer: 2018 21’ The Last Hurrah
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage99 View Post
Hi there,
Another question for newbie, Anybody can help please? I am unable to get official info of 17B hitch height, some people say 17" some say 19" some say we need to meas. loaded height, really confusing......
Thank you.
My solution to the same question. Different model, but the same issue.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...w/MT70380.html

After loading the trailer for the first time, I made the final height adjustment. Plus, as you can see, the ball is not attached with a nut so it simply canít come off as we saw happen in a recent thread.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
__________________
Drive slowly. Stop often.
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oldtimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DFW, Texas
Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Posts: 459
True Ed but always check the retaining pins as they can wear and snap
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: Escape 17B
Posts: 15
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Maybe this will help. Maybe not.
When I picked up my 17B, Reace installed the weight distribution hitch. He adjusted it to the trailer and the tow vehicle.
He measured the distance from the hitch to a piece of 1X6 on the ground. Then he dropped the trailer onto the ball and measured again, determining that the vehicle dropped two inches.

My point being, that you need to do some measurements with the actual trailer and tow vehicle and hitch ball to know what needs to be adjusted and how much.
Thank you very much, it helps.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: Escape 17B
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Here is a direct quote from Tammy for my 17b from 2 years ago:

"The ball height is 18Ē. This means the trailer will ride level when the top of the ball measures 18Ē from the ground with the trailer loaded."

And I believe you should typically expect about 1" of drop when going from an unloaded vehicle to a loaded vehicle, so your ball height should be around 19" when unloaded, but this will depend on the specifics of the vehicle and your tongue weight. I think my vehicle for instance drops a little more than 1" when loaded.
Thanks Paul. My meas. of ball top to ground on my unloaded vehicle is either 17" or 20" on drop or rise, pretty close to 18". If loaded makes 1+" it may be ok from 20" down to 18-19", hopefully it works well.
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: Escape 17B
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
My solution to the same question. Different model, but the same issue.

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...w/MT70380.html

After loading the trailer for the first time, I made the final height adjustment. Plus, as you can see, the ball is not attached with a nut so it simply canít come off as we saw happen in a recent thread.

Enjoy your travels.

Ed
Thank you Ed
mirage99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Posts: 28
If the trailer has the high lift axle option or different tire sizes, it will change the coupler height.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
James Gang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 218
Before I picked up my trailer, I called and asked this very same question. They gave me a measurement. With my adjustable hitch, the closest position was between 1/2 to a 3/4 high. When I went to ETI, the worker raised my hitch another inch and a half. After picking it up at Sumas, the trailer rode high. Having a F250 with a cargo rating of around 3400 pounds, the drop when the trailer is hitched up is less than an inch and that was with 4 adults and a lot of stuff in the bed of the truck. So when we got to Fort Worden State Park that evening, I lowered the hitch. The point is, don't assume they will get it right.
__________________

James Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.