2016 Toyota Tacoma - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,142
According to the 2016 manual, my Off Road with automatic transmission should be set in a maximum of 5th gear (which is the first overdrive) when towing.

While there is no "Tow/Haul" specifically, there is a "ETC Power" button: "Use when high levels of response and feeling are desirable, such as when driving in mountainous regions or when pulling a trailer."

I haven't towed the trailer yet, but hope to get it out next week...
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #122
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,725
Jon, my guess it that all the ETC button does is that the computer makes the transmission downshift sooner with accelerator pedal use. But maybe it has some much more sophisticated routine it runs? Our Corolla has a special ECO mode -essentially all it does is buffer accelerator input. To me it feels like someone put a piece of soft foam rubber over the pedal, but it would probably be great for teenagers.
__________________

__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #123
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,142
All the electronics makes me appreciate the simplicity of the 1960 Willys Jeep I used to drive around the estate I worked on while in High School & College. Of course, it wouldn't pull an Escape 19, let alone my 17...
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #124
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,725
2016 Toyota Tacoma

That's why I've given up on doing much of any work on cars. I look under the hood and wonder which black box is which. Pulling the engines and rebuilding them was easy with my VW Bug and Volvo 122s. My 1961 F250 Ford pickup had so much space under the hood I could climb in next to the straight 6 to work on it. Of course I was also a lot skinnier then too...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #125
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
That's why I've given up on doing much of any work on cars. I look under the hood and wonder which black box is which. Pulling the engines and rebuilding them was easy with my VW Bug and Volvo 122s. My 1961 F250 Ford pickup had so much space under the hood I could climb in next to the straight 6 to work on it. Of course I was also a lot skinnier then too...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had a 1963 f100 with a 292 engine . That is just what I did climb in and sit on the fender and do my tune ups . So much room to work in . You could see straight down to the ground in case you dropped something . Carribean Torquiose was my color . Embaressed my kids riding in that truck .All worth it . Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,712
It's the "ECT Power" button (not ETC or EXT)... it helps to have the right term when searching for information. "ECT" stands for Electronically Controlled Transmission mode, which is the traditional name of this function in some Toyota vehicles. I have had two Toyotas but neither had this - the first had a manual transmission and the Sienna just doesn't have the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
While there is no "Tow/Haul" specifically, there is a "ETC Power" button: "Use when high levels of response and feeling are desirable, such as when driving in mountainous regions or when pulling a trailer."
Thanks Jon. Unfortunately, this appears to be the entire extent of description of the ECT PWR feature in the owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jon, my guess it that all the ETC button does is that the computer makes the transmission downshift sooner with accelerator pedal use. But maybe it has some much more sophisticated routine it runs? Our Corolla has a special ECO mode -essentially all it does is buffer accelerator input. To me it feels like someone put a piece of soft foam rubber over the pedal, but it would probably be great for teenagers.
The ECT Power button is essentially the opposite of ECO, as far as accelerator pedal response is concerned.

I haven't found a good single detailed description online (although I have found a couple of bad ones) or in the owner's manual, but it certainly does appear that Eric is correct: it is a transmission mode switch, but with throttle response logic tweaks as well. It essentially is a Tow/Haul mode switch for both transmission and engine. It changes shift points (as Tow/Haul should), but I don't know if it also changes torque converter lockup clutch logic (which Tow/Haul should to reduce transmission fluid heating).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
The EXT Power button engages the direct injectors On up hills , I tried it a few times it seems to set a earlier down shift Vrs rpms, It's like manual shifting. And it will stay in the lower gear longer unless you let up on the gas petal.
I'm sure that the engine management computer uses the port and direct injectors as appropriate to conditions regardless of a mode switch. The shift behaviour change with ECT is as expected for a "tow/haul" or performance mode.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #127
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Jon..not sure if your new Tacoma has this crawl control feature, but it was pretty impressive when shopping for a truck a few months ago ...ended up with a full size truck but sure liked some of the Tacoma features...and there are actually several videos..search youtube for Tacoma 2016 crawl control
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #128
Senior Member
 
thoer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Galesville, Wisconsin
Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Posts: 3,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I had a 1963 f100 with a 292 engine . That is just what I did climb in and sit on the fender and do my tune ups . So much room to work in . You could see straight down to the ground in case you dropped something . Carribean Torquiose was my color . Embaressed my kids riding in that truck .All worth it . Pat
Mine was canary yellow -- with a red hood. 223 inline 6 in mine and they loved to throw rods. I got it very used and went thru the original and then 2 junkyard engines in it. At the time it was cheaper to go to the scrap yard and get a used one than buying the parts to do a complete rebuild. In hindsight I would have been much better off rebuilding the first one!

Off topic again - someday I'll be banned for it, but I just can't help myself....
__________________
Eric (and Mary who is in no way responsible for anything stupid I post)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Mine was canary yellow -- with a red hood. 223 inline 6 in mine and they loved to throw rods. I got it very used and went thru the original and then 2 junkyard engines in it. At the time it was cheaper to go to the scrap yard and get a used one than buying the parts to do a complete rebuild. In hindsight I would have been much better off rebuilding the first one!

Off topic again - someday I'll be banned for it, but I just can't help myself....
Those were great colors and great trucks ! Pat
Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ,, Oklahoma
Trailer: 17B 2017
Posts: 716
Search the Tacoma forums for the advocates of 4th gear towing.
__________________

gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.