5.0 TA hitching visibility - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
5.0 TA hitching visibility

I towed a small fifth wheel for years with our 1998 Ram and I could see the hitch when looking over my shoulder from the driver's seat, which made hitching up a very simple one person operation. Our 5.0TA is on order and with our new 2019 Ram, like most trucks now, the bed rails are much higher and the bottom of the back window is higher and I don't think I'll be able to see the hitch.

For those of you with a 5.0TA and a late model full size pickup with high bed rails, are you also unable to see the hitch from the driver's seat? And if so, does that make hitching a two person operation or do you find that you're able to back up fairly close to the hitching point and get lined up OK?

Old 09-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 F150 eco boost with 2017 5.0 TA in tow
I hitch up the same way as you but I do have to stretch my neck a bit. I tow with a F150 with the short bed.

RicVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i cannot see my hitch i line up then get out about a millions times to check where i am- i had tricks to do my bumper pull but not with my 5th wheel yet. i have a 2017 F150 short bed
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Yes, the middle rear seat is a bit high to see the hitch. I use the Andersen gooseneck setup so I use a portable backup camera to help get the ball lined up. Once I have the hitch/trailer lined up (side-to-side), I place the camera in the truck bed looking up at the ball. I then can backup accurately looking at the monitor.
To line up the hitch (side-to-side) I have a plastic rod above the ball that I line up with a white line drawn on the centre of the trailer hitch.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
We use a pair of those telescoping magnetic tennis ball looking things. I don't remember what they are called. We got them at Camping World years ago. They make lining up a snap.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Without the tonneau cover I can see the hitch after I removed the center rear seat head rest. For use with the tommeau cover I put a white tape stripe down the pin box and a couple small pieces on the cover frame. I line them up when backing and can do it myself. I do have to get out to verify height and you do need to be coming back fairly in line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0209.jpg (43.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0208.jpg (51.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0210.jpg (62.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Have a Tundra with a 6.5 foot bed and a 5 TA with a Demco Hijacker double pivot hitch. Hitch it myself but I get out a couple of times to line things up. Understand some of the newer model pickups have a camera in the bed which helps a lot.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I tried a number of things, but bought a wireless IBall Hitch Camera , ( I always have the cover on) , attached a piece of metal at the end of the folded up tonneau cover, place the camera there and can see the hitch clearly.I also put a long piece of tape up the front of the hitch part on the trailer for the centre to line up. It works very well. No problem doing it on my own.
I bought a "Rear View Safety" model previously but had to return it, as it would only stay on for 2 minutes, which was almost impossible to use, called the company and they said yes that is how it was designed- to time out at 2 minutes.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Hitch for 5.0ta

Hi,
I am new in this forum and I appreciate all the wisdom/experience here. I am in the process of buying a 5.0 ta and now trying to find the best hitch for my 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie, 4x4 with a 67" bed. I am looking at Anderson 3200 or B&W patriot, but discussing the difference options rail system vs. gooseneck with service at camping world now. I was particularly interested in your thoughts Mr. Murphy since you have the RAM too. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. Best Regards, Alfred
TravelingAlfredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Hi Alfred. Welcome to the forum.

The Anderson 3200 seems to be very popular, I'm sure owners with that will comment.

We bought the B&W Patriot when we got our first 5.0 4.5 years ago. We are happy with it. The weight is an issue, really have to watch how much I put in the truck as my payload is only 1484 lb. It does lift out fairly easily in two pieces. I only do that for the few winter months we're not camping.

The reason I bought it specifically is that I liked the fact it's a full locking jaw rather than the sliding bar like on a Reese. After having worked with the CPR Intermodal for my first career and seeing railcars on their sides with trailers still attached to the hitch, I wanted to ensure I'd never lose the trailer.

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote