Adjusting brake controller and towing mirrors - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Road test a success* except when I brake to a stop (not just regular braking) the brakes seem to pulse. Are the trailer brakes triggering my anti-lock brakes somehow? I lowered the braking on the controller and it helps and seems to still brake just fine.

*I even found two more Escapes.
I would not think so as the anti-lock is controlled by a sensor on the wheels. Go somewhere where you can safely play with it and lower the controller until you can feel the trailer pushing you some then start raising it back up a little at a time.

A 15' trailer will not require a lot of brake power.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
I couldn't even feel the trailer pushing with no brakes. But I think I'll lower the setting a bit more and see if the stop is smoother.

I did get the mirrors just about right. I just have to get used to looking at the right set of mirrors. And they helped a lot with backing into my driveway (or maybe I'm just getting the hang of it) as it only took one try this time.

Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
I am ordering a 17B due in March 2017. I have a 1997 Ford F250 Super Duty as the tug. It has a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller already. It "appears" the controller is from 1997 and was the original. I am thinking I should replace it given it's age? Nothing stops like having brakes that work.
I wouldn't be concerned about the age. The most important thing is to use a proportional controller... and the Voyager is proportional. It's even still in production. The main reason that I would consider a replacement (not urgently at all) is that the Voyager uses a pendulum to sense deceleration, so it needs to be adjusted whenever the mounting angle is changed; more modern controllers use accelerometers (like those in smartphones that determine the angle of tilt), and don't need adjustment. The "new" ones should also be more responsive and smooth.

The Voyager doesn't have a socket on the back; it has a permanently attached pigtail of wires. The pigtail ends in a connector, and eTrailer says
Quote:
Plug-in, vehicle-specific brake-control adapter can be used for certain applications to reduce installation time
... so some plug-in harnesses are available. It looks like the connector on the end of the pigtail is the same as the socket on newer Tekonsha controllers, and indeed according to eTrailer the same adapters work for the Voyager and the Prodigy.

In 1997 Ford made trucks called "F-250" in both the new-for-1997 lighter-duty style (like an F-150), and the heavier-duty style (like an F-350, and the same as 1996). eTrailer shows a vehicle-specific plug-in harness for the Prodigy and Voyager (3035-P)... fortunately the same one for all F-250 versions around that time, and most other Fords for over a decade.

If the existing Voyager is plugged in (not hardwired), a Prodigy would plug into the same connector (if the wires are long enough to reach the mounting location).
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a Highlander and Aero mirrors. I find I don't need to extend them out much to see. If I extend them out too much the mirrors vibrate more so I move them out enough to see well but no further.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Thanks Brian B-P! I believe I'm going to get a new one just for the reasons you suggested. Newer technology and less hassle setting it up.

I can't remember if the Tekonsha Voyager controller was hard wired or if it had a plug to the unit itself. It is hardwired into the truck harness. Guess if all else fails I can get the wiring that goes with it and cut out the Voyager and rewire in the Prodigy.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharper View Post
I have a Highlander and Aero mirrors. I find I don't need to extend them out much to see. If I extend them out too much the mirrors vibrate more so I move them out enough to see well but no further.
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view (I guess that's normal). They do a good job and didn't seem to vibrate much but I rechecked the thumb screws after the first few miles. I guess that's a job to add to the walk-around checklist.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Quote:
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view
I don't understand how this could be. What is the shape of the Aero Mirrors you have?
Mine are the Grand Aero. They are rectangular, not teardrop shape. Both driver and passenger side improve the view for a long way behind the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grand Aero 1.jpg (113.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Grand Aero 2.jpg (144.6 KB, 14 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:45 AM   #18

Quote:
I ended up with the passenger side mirror out a little farther but still with less of a view (I guess that's normal).
If you mean that you have a narrower field of view, that is normal if both mirrors are flat (not convex), because the passenger side mirror is further from you and so occupies a smaller part of your field of view. That's why passenger side mirrors are routinely convex (although that makes both depth judgment and seeing small detail difficult).
Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
What is the shape of the Aero Mirrors you have?
Mine are the Grand Aero. They are rectangular, not teardrop shape.
The photos show something like a rounded trapezoid, not a rectangle. Still not teardrop...
Old 10-28-2016, 12:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Picky, picky.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.51.09 PM.png (162.8 KB, 19 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote