Anderson weight distribution hitch - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Having used the conventional w/d set up I can tell you they are very cumbersome. I try to avoid using one at all possible and do so with my Ram. That said, towing with my FJ does lower the rear 2" and I think the Andersen will compensate small amounts, just not large amounts some people may expect. The sway control is ideal for those in need, though. I'm on the fence right now. Did find the $395 price better than the factory $500.
Yes, that ending was wild..

Old 03-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Given that the lever arm distance for the Anderson hitch looks to be about 1/5 or so the lever arm distance for the conventional WD hitches, to get an equivalent WD effect on the tow vehicle for the two systems, the Anderson hitch would have to have about 5 times greater tension force applied in the chains than would be required for the conventional WD system.

Just my 2 cents. (Oops, given that the penny has been discontinued, this is now my 5 cents).

cheers
dave
Dave, I follow your thinking here, but that smaller ratio is in the bar system too, on the vertical part of the bar which would carry the same forces as the chain on the Andersen. That video I posted (made by Andersen) I think rightly shows that there is an incredible amount of tension at the corner of the bar. No way am I going to say I know all that is happening with the torques and forces here, just doing some thinking is all.

And get with the times, you opinion is now worth 2 nickels. A measly 5 cents belittles your thinking too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
I have to admit I just am not sure about this yet. Holy cow did that thread on the forest river forum go sideways.
I could see that coming, that guy who claimed to know all with 15 years of sales experience, seemed to refuse to see how it worked. Whether or not to what degree you believe it will perform, it is not hard to see how it works, especially once you watch the videos.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Dave, I follow your thinking here, but that smaller ratio is in the bar system too, on the vertical part of the bar which would carry the same forces as the chain on the Andersen. That video I posted (made by Andersen) I think rightly shows that there is an incredible amount of tension at the corner of the bar. No way am I going to say I know all that is happening with the torques and forces here, just doing some thinking is all.

And get with the times, you opinion is now worth 2 nickels. A measly 5 cents belittles your thinking too much.

I could see that coming, that guy who claimed to know all with 15 years of sales experience, seemed to refuse to see how it worked. Whether or not to what degree you believe it will perform, it is not hard to see how it works, especially once you watch the videos.
Jim, you are entirely correct in that the tension bars of a conventional WD hitch will have to resist a large bending moment at the hitch where they go from vertical to horizontal. I assume that these steel bars are designed to perform that function. My point was that the geometry of a conventional WD hitch was better suited to redistribution of weight due to the longer lever arms than is the Anderson hitch.

I am happy to see that you value my opinion to the tune of 2 nickels. I was a little worried that you would have correctly pointed out that since I had upped the value from 2 cents to 5 cents, that I should have rounded down rather than up, which would have rendered my opinion worthless.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
i am happy to see that you value my opinion to the tune of 2 nickels. I was a little worried that you would have correctly pointed out that since i had upped the value from 2 cents to 5 cents, that i should have rounded down rather than up, which would have rendered my opinion worthless. ;d
roflmao
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #25

Well, Woodys RV here in Calgary carries the Andersen Hitches, though did not have the model 3339 WDH stocked as they mostly deal with larger trailers, but ordered one in for me.

I am trying to get my wife to drive some, so I thought I would give it a try as it would likely smooth out the few bounces we do get. Because it also has anti-sway was the determining factor, as I had already considered doing something along this line anyway.

Once I get it and try it I will report back. I have nothing to compare it too, as even when I was pulling bigger trailers with a bigger tow, I never used one.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #26

Trailer: 17B 2017
Thanks for the update. I would like to know the speed up hookup. Some say it's faster than the traditional bars others say no time saving at all.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #27
Site Team

Jim, I too ordered my 3339 today, mine was done at 11:30 am- eat, almost same as your time it was $395 plus tax (in state dealer) free shipping, should be here on Monday. We will both have to report reviews. Shipping weight 58 lbs
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #28

Mine was $500 (CAD), we always seem to pay more up here. They expect about 2 weeks to get it in.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #29
Site Team

I believe thy are made in Idaho, just south of the border.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #30

Yeah, they are in Idaho Falls, and I was just through there in early October. Go figure......