Best features to consider for fulltime rVing - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Trailer: shopping for one
Best features to consider for fulltime rVing

HI,

Getting excited about the concept of full timing at some point in the future. I'd like to know what features has the community found to be most useful for a couple doing long extended trips in a 17B' or a 19' Escape?

Thanks,
Betsy

Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I found this blog (sarandipitytravels) to be interesting because it's a single woman fulltiming in a 17B. She made some mods that make it more livable long-term, but there's not much you can really do with the small amount of space in a 17B.

If there are 2 of you, better consider at least a 19'. Personally I would go as large as possible and go straight to a 21' if I was planning on living in it for months at a time.

skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Well we are picking up our 21 at the end of the month and starting to full time. We have set it up to be off the grid boondocking with things I have found over the years that helped us do that. We will keep you posted as it all unfolds. Last day of work was last Sunday!
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Pilot View Post
Well we are picking up our 21 at the end of the month and starting to full time. We have set it up to be off the grid boondocking with things I have found over the years that helped us do that. We will keep you posted as it all unfolds. Last day of work was last Sunday!
Hi: Porsche Pilot... Welcome to the "Off the grid" living set. Seems to be the best way to rile the "Gubermints". They can't figure out a way to tax boondocking... at least not yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We are excited about traveling full time in our 21. The delivery might be delayed a bit but we were planning on traveling in Canada for a month anyway.
Porsche Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #6

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Betsy, don't know how tall you guys are, but there is a difference in height between the 17 and 19. You might want to take that in consideration. As well as the size of the bathroom.
For both of you future full timers: I am totally jealous!! Enjoy every moment of it!!!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We are planning on full timing starting next Spring. Decided to go with the 21 for maximum space.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I find the size discussion interesting. There are many people who live in RVs full-time who would consider any Escape - even a 5.0TA - to be unworkably small for this purpose. Many of the buses which are converted to motorhomes have only two occupants, living in them full-time or close to it. On the other hand, there are couples who live full-time in trailers smaller than any current model of Escape. There's no one right answer here.

Space requirements are extremely dependent on lifestyle. Someone described one difference as "living in the trailer" versus "living out of the trailer": if you spend most of your time in the trailer, you will probably need much more space to move around and contain the things you are using than someone who does little more than sleep in the trailer and is out doing things most of the time. Where you cook would be a major consideration; what weather you're in (is it reasonable to be outside most of the time) would be another. Once you understand how you intend to live, you should have an idea of what features you need to live that way.

Space requirements also depend on personal characteristics. Some people are simply bigger than others, and so need more space. Tall people need more headroom; wide people need more aisle width and room to move in the bathroom. An Escape 19' has more room in every direction than a 17', because it is not just longer but also wider and taller; that extra volume means more headroom, bathroom space, aisle width, and bed size. The 21' is another step larger in length and width, and has the biggest Escape bathroom. The 17' may still be roomy enough for many people.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Last year I spent five months in my 21, and could have stayed in it indefinitely. I'm not particularly "outdoorsy" either-- I spent a lot of time inside the trailer. There seemed to be plenty of room for one person full-timing, and probably enough for two.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Last year I spent five months in my 21, and could have stayed in it indefinitely. I'm not particularly "outdoorsy" either-- I spent a lot of time inside the trailer. There seemed to be plenty of room for one person full-timing, and probably enough for two.