Current top picks for tow vehicle for 21' - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #161

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Tacoma 4.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
There are a bunch of happy 4.0L Tacomas owners, like me. Tow's great, right size. Can't speak for the newer slate of sub-4.0L engines but anecdotal comments seem less than satisfactory.
I towed my 2007 Escape 17B with my 2008 Tacoma SR5 4.0L. It towed no issue at all in Ontario. I later traded for a 2017 4Runner 4.0L TRD Off Road, again, around Ontario towed great. Both trucks could pull out and pass while following a car doing 50mph no problem.

I have read many comments about the new 3.5L Tacoma which lead me to come to the conclusion its a great hot rod, but not a good tow vehicle. Same horsepower, but at 1000 rpm higher. If your towing it's going to rev hard.

One thing I will add, if your towing at higher elevations, higher than 6000 ft, you will probably want a V8 or a diesel. I was really surprised how much power you lost as I climbed the mountains in Colorado. I was in Utah on a steady limb but didn't realize it, I thought there was something wrong with the truck. I had to bump it into third on some hills. It all made sense when I saw a sign 8800ft IIRC.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #162
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
at 9000 feet, there's approximately 27% less air then at sea level. if you don't have a turbo (like most diesels), the engine will be burning 27% less gas, and getting 27% less horses and torques, all else being equal. a turbocharger can compensate for this (but not all turbos are setup for altitude compensation).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:29 AM   #163

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
As one that really tried with the combination of a 3.5 Tacoma & a 21 (for 9000 miles) I am now the proud owner of a F150 3.5 EcoBoost...
Old 10-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #164
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As one that really tried with the combination of a 3.5 Tacoma & a 21 (for 9000 miles) I am now the proud owner of a F150 3.5 EcoBoost...
I drove the 21 home from Texas with my Tacoma, and started looking for a F250

mostly, I wanted a diesel, big tanks, and a long bed with maximum cargo space. none of those things are available in an f150, so...

Old 10-05-2019, 08:39 AM   #165

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I drove the 21 home from Texas with my Tacoma, and started looking for a F250

mostly, I wanted a diesel, big tanks, and a long bed with maximum cargo space. none of those things are available in an f150, so...

That’s not a truck, John, this is a real mans truck.

Hennessey VelociRaptor 6X6 | Hennessey Performance
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #166

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Im bewildered at available tow replacements. 2010 Tacoma will be due in a year but no mid size truck comes close. Full size is not in the cards. Very disappointed with whats out there now. May be looking at trailer downsizing, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #167

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Im bewildered at available tow replacements. 2010 Tacoma will be due in a year but no mid size truck comes close. Full size is not in the cards. Very disappointed with whats out there now. May be looking at trailer downsizing, unfortunately.
Ford Ranger. My brother just got one, great looking truck. Bigger than the old Ranger, but smaller than my F150.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #168

Tow reports are not inspiring tho. Little 4 banger even with a turbo seems weak. Has/will he tow with it?

G
Old 10-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #169

Quote:
Tow reports are not inspiring tho. Little 4 banger even with a turbo seems weak. Has/will he tow with it?

G
For sure, the 7,500 towing capacity will pull his 19 real nice. Would even pull a 21 fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #170

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For sure, the 7,500 towing capacity will pull his 19 real nice. Would even pull a 21 fine.
As always, consider your payload. Many trucks run out of payload long before they exceed towing capacity.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #171

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
As always, consider your payload. Many trucks run out of payload long before they exceed towing capacity.
Yes, very true, my Ram can pull close to 7 times its carrying capacity....
Old 10-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #172
Site Team

Quote:
that was why I retired the Tacoma, it was past rear axle load carrying my typical full kit (big telescope + astro gear, 2 tables, 4+ chairs, 3 carpets, big cooler, heavy duty 10x10 popup, 5-10g of drinking water, etc etc). in fact, just the two of us + the E21's hitch weight was putting it near GVWR,

btww, that Hennesey thing? thats an F150, and its a joke.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #173

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
The Expedition is based on a shortened F150 chassis, much like the Tahoe is a shorter Chevy 1500 pickup.
... and the Toyota Sequoia is based on the Tundra.
But in each case, they are the same only up to the rear seat. In all of these vehicles, the SUV has a different rear suspension from the pickup, and so the rear part of the frame is different.. so they're not exactly a shorter pickup with a longer cab.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #174

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
If it was me and against a full size, I would be looking for a low mile 2015 Tacoma. That 4.0L is bullet proof. You should consider a 4RUNNER with that same 4.0L, a few more horses in the 4RUNNER. Me, I bought a Tundra 4.6L for my pending 19 purchase.

Sorry, I’m not interested in a turbo unless it’s beside a Cummins or Powerstroke.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #175

Jim, can it tow, sure. Can it tow well, another matter. 2nd and 6000 rpm isnt my idea of a great tow vehicle. Not just grades but passing and getting up to speed at on ramps as well. Had my share of close calls even with my Tacoma. That unfortunately seems the norm for the current selection of mid sized trucks unless something changes, there just isnt much out there. Frontier is the last of the "big" 4.0L's. My 2010 Tacoma TRD has been great but needs to go in 2020.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #176

Quote:
Jim, can it tow, sure. Can it tow well, another matter. 2nd and 6000 rpm isnt my idea of a great tow vehicle. Not just grades but passing and getting up to speed at on ramps as well. Had my share of close calls even with my Tacoma. That unfortunately seems the norm for the current selection of mid sized trucks unless something changes, there just isnt much out there. Frontier is the last of the "big" 4.0L's. My 2010 Tacoma TRD has been great but needs to go in 2020.
Not sure where you are getting your numbers from for the Ranger, but it is rated in many write ups as the best towing for a gas engine in it's class. 270 hp and 310 foot pounds of torque is pretty good. Up to 1,860 lbs of cargo capacity is as good (actually a bit better) as my F150, though I know options can vary this a bit.

I am not saying the Ranger is the vehicle for everyone, just added a comment. I know some folks just don't like Ford for some reason, but I have had some really good luck with them over the years, though most were Super Duty with Powerstroke diesel engines.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #177

Trailer: 2007 Lance Slide In, 2020 Escape 17A
Gimme back my clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
In the last couple of days someone posted regarding their rig which included a six speed stick shift transmission. I thought at the time how interesting and “rare” it was to be using a stick shift vehicle but at the same time how effective and positive it could be.
Dave
Iowa Dave, you make a great point. Why so few manual transmissions in America any more, except on performance cars, when they seem to be available in the rest of the world?

European auto rental places in general assume that Americans just can't get that clutch/shifter thing figured out. AND THEY ARE RIGHT! I recently saw a piece in Car and Driver Mag. (I think) that claimed less than 20% of American drivers under age 25 are clutch competent. Not surprising, given that they have so few opportunities. Manual transmissions have their advantages, but only if you can drive them.

I wanted better for my kids. The first thing all three of my kids did when I taught them to drive was to spend a dozen hours learning how to standing start our old 1995 manual Sub. Legacy- first on a flat parking lot and finally on our steep driveway. Then they moved on to learn to shift and steer- to actually drive- in our Miata, including motor-induced deceleration with the Miata's bullet-proof 5-speed drive train. Their final test was a double downshift, say from 5th gear (3500 rpm) directly to 3rd gear (6700 rpm). This requires smoothly disengaging the clutch over a period about a second or so to let the engine spool up.

Done correctly this dumps about 30 mph so fast it makes your head spin. Literally. Of course, this is a Miata, not a tow vehicle under load, but the concept of helping your breaking tow vehicle a lot by "engine braking" is a real deal. Of course, modern automatic transmissions can downshift for breaking, but especially with a heavy load under strong engine braking, they don't do it gracefully, and also produce a hydraulic "shock" IMO.

I had the opportunity to try the above braking exercise with a little newer 6-speed automatic Miata. The auto trans. would not make the equivalent shifts without a brief lockout. Now, I realize the automatic was designed to prevent over-revving the motor. Thing is, I want to be responsible for that possibility and not have the car override my decision.

This example is not that practical (unless a moose and her calf jump onto the road right in front of your Miata) but it is a hard and fast example of how the automatic transmission underperforms the experienced driver. Maybe most people need to be prevented from doing this but give me back my manual 5-speed. You can do it your way, and i'll do it mine and we can still be friends.

Dave
Quote:
Point being in the mix and match world of trailers and tow vehicles combinations while not infinite no doubt number in the tens of thousands. When folks ask us about our tow setup, we answer them honestly but I do not pass judgement on other setups unless it is to analyze a failure. And I keep that opinion to myself unless asked. If you can’t be with the one you love, Honey love the one you’re with (CSNY?). Remeber that pick to click from stacks and stacks of golden wax?
Iowa Dave
wxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #178

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
give me back my manual 5-speed.

Dave

You wouldn't be so enamoured with a manual transmission and clutch, if you lived in Vancouver or any other city with daily major traffic jams ( not Fishhook ). I have an automatic and still choose not to drive except between 10am and 2:45pm.
I had a VW bus with manual transmission. The clutch pedal went 90 degrees down into the floor. Try spending an hour depressing the clutch every ten feet or so.
I simply slow on approaching a downhill and pull my transmission down to 3 or 2 to hold back my speed.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #179
Site Team

I got stuck for 2 hours once in my 6-speed Tacoma while towing our Casita in stop and crawl traffic in Sacramento, I doubt I'll ever buy another manual. My clutch foot was cramping.

modern automatics, like Ford's 10 speed, are MORE efficient than any traditional clutch + stick shift. the 10 speed only uses the torque converter from a full stop til you're rolling in 1st, then the torque converter clutch is engaged, locking the transmission in gear, and all further shifts are done with the TC locked, by electronically dropping the torque for the instant the shift takes as the gear ratios are very close together.... The 10 speed actually only has 4 gear sets, the 10 gears are done with combinations of these.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:26 PM   #180

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
At 70 I often get nostalgic for things from my past but a manual transmission is not one of them . Driving a vehicle with a manual transmission in stop and go traffic has the same appeal now as it did when I was a teenager , absolutely none .
My knees are shot and pushing on a clutch pedal only makes them hurt !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote