GMC Canyon Duramax towing a 5.0 Classic - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Churchton, Maryland
Trailer: Escape 5.0
Posts: 17
GMC Canyon Duramax towing a 5.0 Classic

We just got out for our first camp with the rig. Finally... I promised to offer up our experience.
The towing was great. We went to one of the Maryland Patapsco state parks with RV sites, near Ellicot City, of recent flooding fame. There is a huge valley to cross getting into the camp. Just about straight down and up. The Canyon took it with ease with RPMs up in the 3000 range. I can't say that for us, on our bikes, since we had to walk up the hill.
So, this was about a 100 mile loop for us. About half was fast highway and half county two-lane. The truck got 24 MPG overall for the loop. On the interstate type highway at 60/65 MPH we got around 26/27 MPG. Very satisfying.

John
__________________

john o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
escape artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Thomas not BVI., Ontario
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
We just got out for our first camp with the rig. Finally... I promised to offer up our experience.
The towing was great. We went to one of the Maryland Patapsco state parks with RV sites, near Ellicot City, of recent flooding fame. There is a huge valley to cross getting into the camp. Just about straight down and up. The Canyon took it with ease with RPMs up in the 3000 range. I can't say that for us, on our bikes, since we had to walk up the hill.
So, this was about a 100 mile loop for us. About half was fast highway and half county two-lane. The truck got 24 MPG overall for the loop. On the interstate type highway at 60/65 MPH we got around 26/27 MPG. Very satisfying.

John
Hi: john o... Trouble is "It's all down hill from here"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by john o View Post
So, this was about a 100 mile loop for us. About half was fast highway and half county two-lane. The truck got 24 MPG overall for the loop. On the interstate type highway at 60/65 MPH we got around 26/27 MPG. Very satisfying.
That's 9.8 L/100km overall (about what our van does when not towing), and 8.8 to 9.0 L/100km on the highway - very impressive for towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 80
I'll be interested to follow this, my TA seemed heavy behind me going thru Teton Pass from Wilson WY to Victor ID and I'm driving a full size 5.9L Cummins. I was able to maintain at least 30mph on the way up but wouldn't want to try it with a smaller powerplant, BUT that type of climb is few and far between out there......
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 8,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I'll be interested to follow this, my TA seemed heavy behind me going thru Teton Pass from Wilson WY to Victor ID and I'm driving a full size 5.9L Cummins. I was able to maintain at least 30mph on the way up but wouldn't want to try it with a smaller powerplant...
That big Cummins is very heavy, and comes with about ton more truck that a smaller engine would. It puts out 325 hp or less (depending on year). There might not be much difference in performance with a smaller engine with nearly as much power in a lighter truck, although a smaller engine would run at higher engine speed to do the work.

Of course the Colorado/Canyon diesel engine is much smaller - less than half the size and not much more than half the power. Still, a couple tons less truck would make the situation much better than just a smaller engine in a big truck.

A current version of the Cummins B-series is the engine in four-ton Ram pickups that are rated to tow fifteen tons of trailer. I don't think an engine of this size is needed to acceptably tow less than three tons of trailer behind a lighter truck, on any highway grade (even the 10% of parts of the Teton Pass highway).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
I'll be interested to follow this, my TA seemed heavy behind me going thru Teton Pass from Wilson WY to Victor ID and I'm driving a full size 5.9L Cummins. I was able to maintain at least 30mph on the way up but wouldn't want to try it with a smaller powerplant, BUT that type of climb is few and far between out there......
Is this a RAM 2500. If yes, did you need to raise your trailer?

Thanks,
Mike
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 80
No, it's an 05 2500, previous owner had the exact same truck and it is perfectly level just as it is.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That big Cummins is very heavy, and comes with about ton more truck that a smaller engine would. It puts out 325 hp or less (depending on year). There might not be much difference in performance with a smaller engine with nearly as much power in a lighter truck, although a smaller engine would run at higher engine speed to do the work.

Of course the Colorado/Canyon diesel engine is much smaller - less than half the size and not much more than half the power. Still, a couple tons less truck would make the situation much better than just a smaller engine in a big truck.

A current version of the Cummins B-series is the engine in four-ton Ram pickups that are rated to tow fifteen tons of trailer. I don't think an engine of this size is needed to acceptably tow less than three tons of trailer behind a lighter truck, on any highway grade (even the 10% of parts of the Teton Pass highway).
All true, but I DO like a little more tow vehicle weight. I've towed heavy enclosed car trailers with smaller, lighter diesel vehicles (Dodge Jeep GC with a 3.0L) and when it gets hilly or windy, the trailer seems to affect the tow vehicle more. I'm a diesel fanatic though, my only gripe these days is you can't buy a truck except the biggest Ram with a stick. When I'm rowing the gears, I know where the right torque and HP are in the power curve.....these newer computer controlled autos......
__________________

Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5.0, canyon, duramax

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.