Height question for a 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Height question for a 5.0 TA

Ok all, I have a tall truck to begin with, a 2500 HD crew cab 4x4 then it has a full 6" suspension lift, any ideas how to make a 5.0 TA work? Tammy says I am way too tall! Anybody been in this predicament before?
__________________

Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:12 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
Ok all, I have a tall truck to begin with, a 2500 HD crew cab 4x4 then it has a full 6" suspension lift, any ideas how to make a 5.0 TA work?
1. Smaller truck!
Just kidding...

2. Taller spacers
The "High Lift Axle" option is actually a set of 2-5/8" high spacers (a Dexter Axle kit) between the Torflex suspension and the frame. I don't think stacking spacers is a good idea, but a much taller spacer frame could be custom-built. My first impression would be that at least 4" of lift would be feasible.

3. Taller tires
This really doesn't do much good, since you can't get more than an inch or two of trailer height from tires that fit on the trailer, but it can be a small part of the solution.

4. Shorter truck box sides
The problem is not really the floor of the box, and maybe not even the wheel wells, but the box sides. Depending on how the truck is used, it may make sense to use a tow body with lower sides, rather than the standard box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
Tammy says I am way too tall!
For more specific planning, an actual height of the sides of the box - rather than just "way too tall" - would be helpful.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,891
You'd need to measure the truck bed rail height and height of the trailer loft with the raised axle. I've been told one should have 5-6" of clearance between the 2.

Don't know the clearance height of the new body style fifth wheels, but you could use Brian's +4" guesstimate as a feasible number and see if it'd work for your truck. If it doesn't work then it's drop the truck or go back to a bumper pull.

Couple other things....

I believe once the trailer was raised the front landing gear and rear stabilizers would be too short most of the time, you'd have to block them up.

Would need to do something with the step, replace with a 2 step or carry an accessory step of some surt.

Might look a bit different, with the wheels hanging down under the trailer instead of in the wheel wells. The 1st 5.0TA was raised for use on an F350 4x4, looked a bit different but it worked. Don't recall the truck being lifted more then stock.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,783
Randy,
I thought you made up your mind on an Escape 19? You mentioned the 21 was too large just for the 2 of you, the 5.0 is just as large as the 21, in fact from the kitchen back they are almost identical.
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You'd need to measure the truck bed rail height and height of the trailer loft with the raised axle. I've been told one should have 5-6" of clearance between the 2.

Don't know the clearance height of the new body style fifth wheels, but you could use Brian's +4" guesstimate as a feasible number and see if it'd work for your truck. If it doesn't work then it's drop the truck or go back to a bumper pull.

Couple other things....

I believe once the trailer was raised the front landing gear and rear stabilizers would be too short most of the time, you'd have to block them up.

Would need to do something with the step, replace with a 2 step or carry an accessory step of some surt.

Might look a bit different, with the wheels hanging down under the trailer instead of in the wheel wells. The 1st 5.0TA was raised for use on an F350 4x4, looked a bit different but it worked. Don't recall the truck being lifted more then stock.
Yes I am only 1.5" taller than a stock F-350
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Randy,
I thought you made up your mind on an Escape 19? You mentioned the 21 was too large just for the 2 of you, the 5.0 is just as large as the 21, in fact from the kitchen back they are almost identical.
True, but the thought of a fifth wheel for stability and maneuverability, hard to not consider.....)) I do realize though yes the 5.0 TA is 21 feet as well and the layout too!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lake Panasoffkee, Florida
Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
True, but the thought of a fifth wheel for stability and maneuverability, hard to not consider.....)) I do realize though yes the 5.0 TA is 21 feet as well and the layout too!
The towing length is shorter on the 5.0 than the 21. That was important to me.
__________________
Doug & Lucy Metz
2016 Escape 5.0 TA
Pick up date in July
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
Member
 
Bobnjudy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 78748, Texas
Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Posts: 97
Axle

An axle for a 16" wheel with ST225/16R tires will bring it up 2 1/2 ". Same as the lift kit but better appearance. Spendy and ETI may not build it. Also, get a 2 step entry from Elkhart Tool and Die. I went up from 14 to 15" axle/tires when I ordered a Scamp 19 and it made a huge difference for level towing and the fridge worked.
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnjudy View Post
An axle for a 16" wheel with ST225/16R tires will bring it up 2 1/2 ". Same as the lift kit but better appearance. Spendy and ETI may not build it. Also, get a 2 step entry from Elkhart Tool and Die. I went up from 14 to 15" axle/tires when I ordered a Scamp 19 and it made a huge difference for level towing and the fridge worked.
So this is how you would lift the trailer for my 6" lift? I have airbags on the rear axle too!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mtns of NC, North Carolina
Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
True, but the thought of a fifth wheel for stability and maneuverability, hard to not consider.....)) I do realize though yes the 5.0 TA is 21 feet as well and the layout too!
If you are concerned about stability, then towing a fifth wheel with a lifted truck is a bad idea. Center of gravity of your lifted truck is much higher than a standard truck, center of gravity of the trailer also goes up when you lift it. List goes on from there.

Lots of information on the web on the towing capabilities of lifted trucks.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
AK snowbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Southcentral & Mt Baker foothills, Alaska
Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Posts: 420
Don't know if this helps, but we tow with a Dodge 3500 with a bedrail height of 56.5".

Trailer is lifted with the pin box raised one hole, rides level and tows like a dream. This for the "classic 5.0 TA" with the old suspension. Scott

Scott and Lori
Bikes are fun!
__________________
Scott and Lori
Aurora Borealis
2014 5.0 TA
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
If you are concerned about stability, then towing a fifth wheel with a lifted truck is a bad idea. Center of gravity of your lifted truck is much higher than a standard truck, center of gravity of the trailer also goes up when you lift it. List goes on from there.

Lots of information on the web on the towing capabilities of lifted trucks.
SO true, thanks for bringing me back to the real world! I guess the work truck will have to be relegated to tow duty then even though it is a spare interior~ simpler. it is short box though, do I need a roller hitch? And no, it has stock tires on the lift I am one of the few that did this, I like it though!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #13
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
SO true, thanks for bringing me back to the real world! I guess the work truck will have to be relegated to tow duty then even though it is a spare interior~ simpler. it is short box though, do I need a roller hitch? And no, it has stock tires on the lift I am one of the few that did this, I like it though!
If by rolling hitch you mean a sliding fifth wheel hitch, no, you don't need one. Plenty of folks tow around the Escape with short beds.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Mtns of NC, North Carolina
Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
Posts: 261
Define short bed. All the full sized trucks have three bed lengths. There's a standard bed of approximately 8 feet, then a short bed of 6 1/2 feet, and a super short bed of 5 1/2 feet.

All can handle a fifth wheel, 6 1/2 ft bed is easier than the 5 1/2. But plenty do it with a 5 1/2 foot bed. I'd be tempted to get a sliding hitch with a 5 1/2 ft bed. I was looking at a fifth wheel Escape and was going to pull it with my 6 1/2 ft bed truck. I was planning to use the Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch, both because of its light weight (saving me payload capacity) and it can move the hitch pin back several inches as well.

Its all about the slow speed stuff, backing into a campsite or your driveway, etc.


I had a fifth wheel once for many years, no problems with limited bed clearance, until.... I was pulling out of a campground, short but steep driveway followed immediately by a level section. Well, once my two axles of my truck were on the level section, and the two axles of my 5th wheel were on the steep section, BOOM! My tailgate (and the corners of my truck bed) hit the bottom side of the 5th and caused a fair amount of damage. It was my fault of course. But limited clearance can bite you if you forget about it.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
I guess the work truck will have to be relegated to tow duty then even though it is a spare interior~ simpler. it is short box though, do I need a roller hitch? And no, it has stock tires on the lift I am one of the few that did this, I like it though!
As Bill explained, "short" is a relative term, but it can be as short as 5.5' without problems, without a sliding hitch. The hitch pin may need to be behind the axle line, but with the payload and axle capacity of a 2500 (is the other truck still a 2500?) and the hitch weight of an Escape, that should be manageable... but the details are worth checking.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:14 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,918
I was told no problem with the Ford 150 and the 5'5" bed. Might use an extender with the Anderson ultimate hitch
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
Don't know if this helps, but we tow with a Dodge 3500 with a bedrail height of 56.5".

Trailer is lifted with the pin box raised one hole, rides level and tows like a dream. This for the "classic 5.0 TA" with the old suspension. Scott

Scott and Lori
Bikes are fun!
that does help Scott thanks!

I will go measure to the top of the bedrail!

It is either a 21' now tt or the 5.o Ta..........we shall see!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
I agree, if I go the 5.0 TA route, definitely a sliding hitch just in case! I have a 6.5" short box.....it is a crew cab Duramax diesel, from The Classic days 2007!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 RPod
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As Bill explained, "short" is a relative term, but it can be as short as 5.5' without problems, without a sliding hitch. The hitch pin may need to be behind the axle line, but with the payload and axle capacity of a 2500 (is the other truck still a 2500?) and the hitch weight of an Escape, that should be manageable... but the details are worth checking.
Yes a 2500 HD!
Duramax Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #20
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramax Guy View Post
I agree, if I go the 5.0 TA route, definitely a sliding hitch just in case! I have a 6.5" short box.....it is a crew cab Duramax diesel, from The Classic days 2007!
You don't need a slider with a 6.5' bed.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×