Honda Ridgeline - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21' Escape
Honda Ridgeline

I wonder if anyone here has experience towing a 21' Escape with a Honda Ridgeline. The specs from Honda indicate the hitch weight max is 600# and and the tow capacity is 5000#. My sense is that I would get close to the max towing weight once I'm fully packed up. If I towed a 21', would I seriously shorten the life of my truck? Appreciate your thoughts.

Ken
Ken. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ken, the max total weight rating of a 21' itself is 5000#, so you can't safely load the trailer any heavier than the Ridgeline's max tow capacity. The numbers you may want to look closely at are the cargo capacity and the GCWR of the Ridgeline.

I don't know if Honda yet adheres to the SAE J2807 tow ratings that require manufacturers to test at full load ratings. That would be another good piece of info to know, in my opinion.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I looked closely at the Honda for my 19' but without the integral brake controller as well as a "towing package" with auxiliary cooling as well as full sized spare, I decided to keep my Ram. Point been there're more items to think about other than capacity.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:30 PM   #4

Trailer: None yet
Although technically a pickup, I think the latest version of the Ridgeline is front wheel drive biased. Basically an open-bed Pilot.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Diesel Santa Fe

We had a XL and towed the Casita 17 easily. Lots of deluxe features in 2015.
This new little diesel looks like a great match for a 19' but not sure about hitch weight of the 21' .
https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-hyunda...hau-1823223649
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
Although technically a pickup, I think the latest version of the Ridgeline is front wheel drive biased. Basically an open-bed Pilot.
Both generations of the Ridgeline are the same fundamental design:
  • a variant of the Pilot, with an open cargo bed
  • unibody construction
  • transverse front engine
  • AWD or (in rare cases) front-wheel-drive
  • AWD drives the front wheels all of the time, and the rear wheels to a variable extent.
Since the rated towing capacity of the Ridgeline is 5,000 pounds with AWD and only 3,500 pounds with front wheel drive, it is unlikely that anyone would choose a Ridgeline for towing a travel trailer and not get AWD.

Since a pickup truck is just a light vehicle with an open cargo box in back, these are certainly pickup trucks. In other parts of the world, they might be called "utes" (for utility vehicles), and because they share a platform with a passenger car or multi-purpose vehicle they might more specifically be called a "coupé utility" (like the old Ford Ranchero, Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Diablo, and many others worldwide).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The Ridgelines I've seen on the road have all had bed covers; basically an SUV with reduced cargo area. And, don't you have to remove the cargo to get at the hidden compartment in the bottom?
I'd just get a Pilot, unless I intended to haul a lot of composted steer manure.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The Ridgelines I've seen on the road have all had bed covers; basically an SUV with reduced cargo area.
Yes, just like all pickups. Many Escape Forum members use covers on their more conventional pickups.

One of the first Ridgelines I saw (back in 2006) has a cap on the back. My first reaction was "look, it has turned into the minivan that it is supposed to be".

Quote:
And, don't you have to remove the cargo to get at the hidden compartment in the bottom?
Yes, at least the cargo in the back half of the box. This is certainly an inconvenience, but I think most people would use that compartment for emergency supplies (booster cables, pull straps, etc) or when loading up a large amount of stuff which all gets unloaded at the destination anyway.

In normal use, most pickup boxes are empty. The enclosed compartment provides a clean, dry, and secured place for stuff which would otherwise go in the open bed. It's not ideal, but it has utility.

Quote:
I'd just get a Pilot, unless I intended to haul a lot of composted steer manure.
Ewww... that's what utility trailers are for. I think the idea is to have an open bed for bikes, power equipment, tools, and whatever else you don't want in your SUV/van/wagon interior. And yes, a Pilot makes more sense for most people, just as many people are better off with an Expedition than an F-150, or a Tahoe/Yukon rather than a Silverado/Sierra, or a Sequoia instead of a Tundra; on the other hand, it's good to have a choice.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
I think you are going to be pulling too close to your towing capacity. Mountain passes or passing situations may be a challenge. Maybe I am too conservative but I would want a minimum of 7000 pounds of towing capacity.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote