2013 Escape19 bathroom vent kit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2024, 02:33 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
2013 Escape19 bathroom vent kit

It took a while, but we finally received our 9" vent to round powered vent kit. This has been well documented over the years including Jon's photos and description. Ventline VP-543 install in an Escape 17B

I'm a little disapointed that the fiberglass (shrouds? bezels? flanges? adaptors?) are not pre-cut to the diameter of the new fan. But. I can do that I guess. Tips on an easy way to cut those circles would be appreciated.

The photo shows that we received the two convex pieces to cover the hole left from the original vent. Jon's photo shows one flat piece. One convex. Hmmm.

Think it will work? ETI kind of re-created this kit for me. I think. I had to describe what I was looking for. It includes the vent, the two fiberglass pieces, wire, and Dicor. Expensive little solution, but I didnt feel I had a choice given the quality of the vent replacement available, which we had already replaced once.
For the curious: $230 CAD.

Hoping it works as is. I won't know for a while, it is a wet winter in Northeast Ohio, and the trailer is under its cover in the storage lot.
But I can get ready!

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
BathroomFan Kit.jpg  
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 05:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I wonder if you should send them a photo of the parts (in the first image in my post) showing what they should have done.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Glenn: See my posts 25 & 36 in thread below. The original interior trim ring doesn’t need to be used but it looks a bit better IMO. You don’t want the fan any lower inside the bath than necessary so maybe you can use the second plate with the convex area facing upward into the ceiling cavity. That would recess the fan a bit. Would be really nice if the large holes were pre-cut. That seems like a miss on Escapes part.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post183319
Old 01-09-2024, 09:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I would clamp the outer flange to the work bench and use a Dremel tool. I would start by cutting smaller dia holes in the middle until you get a feel for it and try the tool at different speeds. They make a drill bit for the dremel that is made for cutting side ways, sometimes called a drywall bit. If you don’t own a dremel tool Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive one that works, but maybe not forever.

I would also cut the hole a little small and then use the dremel tool with a drum sander to slowly make it the right size

Dremel Multi Purpose Cutting Bit 561
Drum 1/2 in. Rotary Tool Mandrel for Sanding Bands for sanding bands 408, 432, 445
by Dremel

Wear a Covid mask, it’s fiberglass
occer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:55 PM   #5

2013 19 vent finished

We finally finished the bathroom fan project today. Took a little longer than expected but it finally stopped raining and we were being very careful. The big update here is that if you have a classic trailer with that junky 9x9 bathroom vent, Nicholas at ETI now knows what to send you so you can install the 6” round fan. As others have said, this looks like a great update.

After I sent ETI pictures of earlier installations pulled off the Forum, Nicholas sent me a flat, 12” x 12” square piece of fiberglass. I couldn’t talk them in to cutting the holes for me, so I took the advice offered and bought a Dremel. The Dremel kit came with a circle cutting tool, so cutting the holes was not as bad as I feared. Plus I got to use it to dress up the “factory” edges a little. Lot’s of good advice on this forum! Thank you.

The trickiest part was matching up my new screw holes with the original holes in the roof. But a couple tries at a template and it worked pretty well. I should have been more patient and put furring strips all the way around, but the two we have should add a little more support. We also added some Reflectix to the top of the inside plate, around the Ventline bezel.

The easiest part was the wiring. I used a flat fish tape right at the corner in the closet, and much to my surprise it popped out of the vent opening. I did have to drill a new hole in to the bathroom light to pick up the 12vdc. I’ve attached a few pictures of my version of this upgrade. We used some plastic edging like you sometimes see on car door edges on the inside plate. Looks pretty ok. Hoping we don’t have to replace it again,

I do have a spare “dome” for the top of the trailer from the original shipment. So if you find yourself near the intersection of I-71 and I-80…it’s yours.

Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
13 E19 Bath Vent (1).jpg   13 E19 Bath Vent (2).jpg   13 E19 Bath Vent (4).jpg   13 E19 Bath Vent (3).jpg   13 E19 Bath Vent (5).jpg  

13 E19 Bath Vent (6).jpg   13 E19 Bath Vent (7).jpg  
Old 04-26-2024, 10:32 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Looks good.
occer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not the easiest job but well done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Good photo documentation. Thanks.

The circle cutting looks like it turned out well, eh?
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Good photo documentation. Thanks.

The circle cutting looks like it turned out well, eh?

Yep. Had I trusted myself I could have cut it exact, but decided it was best to go small and come around with the sanding drum and fix it. Only problem was the plastic knob stripped off the bolt that is used to set the radius of the circle. Pliers solved the problem.

Glenn