Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #131

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It looks like Colorado diesel fans will finally be getting their trucks:
After Delay, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon Diesels Are Being Released to Dealers

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #132

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I have a Ram 1500 with the Eco Diesel 4x4, right now I'm getting 11L/100km (25mpg) empty, in town driving. Towing my Escape 19 on my last trip I got 14L/100km (20mpg) I drove the Crowsnest highway in BC and had power to spare climbing the hills, and in tow/haul mode the turbo vanes were used as an exhaust brake going down hill. Combined truck and trailer weight was 10 000lbs, according to the truck scale in Hope. It was a much better towing experience than the 1989 Suburban I was using.

Devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #133

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The primary reason for low-end torque in a turbodiesel is the turbocharger, which you also have in the EcoBoost... which is one reason why the EcoBoost works so well.

Very true Brian, we love the low end torque in the EcoBoost too. I was referring more to the general rule that diesels produce more low end torque than their gasoline counterparts - mainly because they usually have a longer stroke length and higher boost pressure. In any case, the higher MPG of the diesel would be more than offset (imho) by the lower cost of gasoline, and the lower cost of the gasoline vehicle. I read an article some time back where they did a study and found the "break even" point in terms of cost was somewhere around 8-9 years for most diesels vs their gas engine counterparts.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #134

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I was referring more to the general rule that diesels produce more low end torque than their gasoline counterparts - mainly because they usually have a longer stroke length and higher boost pressure.
Higher boost pressure is a good point, although that's still a turbocharging characteristic. In a few ways, gasoline and diesel engines are converging toward the same features and similar specs, so I think we'll continue to see the traditional distinctions fade.

Longer stroke length for the same displacement doesn't directly improve torque, because longer stroke means smaller bore, so you have a longer lever arm but less force - no gain. The longer stoke is really just an indication of a lower operating speed, and that doesn't increase torque either, but it typically means a lower speed for peak torque. Mostly, diesels are just big... but in the case of the Ram 1500 and Colorado, we're not talking about big engines.

Although the 2.7L EcoBoost has shorter stoke than the Duramax 2.8L (due to one more cylinder and more square bore to stoke ratio) the EcoBoost puts out slightly more torque.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...In a few ways, gasoline and diesel engines are converging toward the same features and similar specs, so I think we'll continue to see the traditional distinctions fade.
That's so true. The dealer where we bought our truck had a static display with an Ecoboost engine cut in half, and several internal components on display. It was remarkably similar to the turbo diesel engines I've seen.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #136

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have to say, or I will explode, that the current Chevy ads, for trucks and cars are annoying me no end.
They claim best fuel economy, best towing, best thingamabob, but you have to buy three trucks to get all three bests.
And, they are flogging 4G Wifi as the main reason for buying a vehicle. I'm going send that kid and his game controller to his room, along with Chevy's entire marketing department.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 AM   #137

Pickups with 31 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have to say, or I will explode, that the current Chevy ads, for trucks and cars are annoying me no end.
They claim best fuel economy, best towing, best thingamabob, but you have to buy three trucks to get all three bests.
And, they are flogging 4G Wifi as the main reason for buying a vehicle. I'm going send that kid and his game controller to his room, along with Chevy's entire marketing department.

Couldn't agree more. The latest one I saw today gives you a choice of either the Silverado with "built in 4G LTE WiFi" or an F150 towing a 1960s trailer with a dowdy lady inside with a typewriter, a fax machine and a satellite dish on the roof. Ugh. Guess they've never heard of phones or MiFis.

One thing they conveniently don't mention is that you have to either open an account with a carrier or add the truck to your existing data plan. The MiFi is actually more versatile than the built in because you can move a hockey puck easier than you can move a truck.