Sway control - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My recollection is that he measured from the underside of the hitch receiver to a piece of board he put on the ground for a flat surface. Then the trailer hitch was dropped onto the ball and he measured again ( the measure was 2" less than the first ). Then he adjusted the WDH so that distance from the underside of the hitch receiver to the board was restored.
So, as a result, how does the rear axle load compare, without trailer and with trailer plus WD? If it hasn't changed - as suggested by the rear height being unchanged - then the rear axle isn't carrying any of the added load.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Maybe if the distance from the underside of the hitch receiver to the the ground increased with the use of WDH, you theory would be correct?
It's a weight DISTRIBUTION hitch, so I don't think the fact that ride height is maintained is an indication that nothing is occurring.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
I watched Reace install my WDH.
My recollection is that he measured from the underside of the hitch receiver to a piece of board he put on the ground for a flat surface. Then the trailer hitch was dropped onto the ball and he measured again ( the measure was 2" less than the first ). Then he adjusted the WDH so that distance from the underside of the hitch receiver to the board was restored.
So, I am hooked on the third chain link, leaving two hanging.
Yep - exactly like that. And I agree that that does not necessarily mean that the rear axle isn't carrying more weight.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Maybe if the distance from the underside of the hitch receiver to the the ground increased with the use of WDH, you theory would be correct?.
No, the rear rising (versus unhitched) would mean you are actually lifting the back of the vehicle with the trailer - obviously a bad thing, and hopefully nobody does that.

Quote:
It's a weight DISTRIBUTION hitch, so I don't think the fact that ride height is maintained is an indication that nothing is occurring.
It's a spring-loaded prybar. If the rear suspension (one without air springs) is no more compressed than without the trailer, it has no more load on it (whatever the source) than without the trailer. Springs - they're pretty straightforward.

Okay, it's Sunday, so my brain is moving slowly...
The receiver, of course, is further back than the rear axle. If the hitch is at the same height as without the trailer, the only way for the rear axle to be taking any of the added load is for the tug to be tilted more nose-down... which unfortunately means that the front suspension/axle is taking over twice as much additional load as the rear. There is no vehicle for which that is even close to appropriate.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
And I agree that that does not necessarily mean that the rear axle isn't carrying more weight.
If the rear suspension is no more compressed than without the trailer, and it doesn't have air springs that have been pumped up, how is it carrying more load ("weight")? All springs have the same characteristic: they apply more force with more stroke; if they are at the same position, they are applying the same force.

As I noted above, the rear axle and hitch locations are not the same, so no change in the hitch height doesn't necessarily mean no change in axle load... which is why the instructions for WD adjustment generally refer to checking ride height at the axle locations.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:02 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well, since both Baglo and mine were installed by Reace himself and since both of us experience very good safe towing experiences with our setups, I trust that Reace knows what he is doing and that his setup process has worked as it should.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote