Towing a 21 with the Tundra 4.6L V-8 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #81

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
towing a 21

We use a Andersen WDH on our Dodge Durango 5.7 and had it on the Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7. I have used other WDH in the past and prefer this one, if my water or even gas level changes or crosswinds pick up, I can step out and fine tune the WD. I may just be too sensitive of the feel even with a heavy TV, but I like to be relaxed.
If Nancy is driving I comfortably just go to sleep.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #82

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
4 wheel drive

We are getting an Escape 21 for full time living. I'm considering getting a Tundra, but not 4 wheel drive. The reasons are the initial cost, the impact on gas mileage and planning on staying clear of bad road situations. However I'm interested in other's points of view, since it only takes a single situation of requiring 4 wheel drive to make it worth the cost.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #83

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I have four-wheel drive but I have to put the vehicle into four-wheel drive to use that feature. I rarely do but sometimes I really need it. And when needed, so glad to have it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #84

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We are getting an Escape 21 for full time living. I'm considering getting a Tundra, but not 4 wheel drive. The reasons are the initial cost, the impact on gas mileage and planning on staying clear of bad road situations. However I'm interested in other's points of view, since it only takes a single situation of requiring 4 wheel drive to make it worth the cost.
faced the same decision as you when buying a new tug....thought picking the proper roads would suffice but the path forward is not always foreseen nor the weather even on good roads......as far as MPG was not sure what the hit is prior to purchase, but friends with similar truck said about 1 MPG hit when 4X4 not being used (and no trailer)..
could afford 4X4 and bought it as your last sentence is so true and perhaps more so when pulling a trailer
"since it only takes a single situation of requiring 4 wheel drive to make it worth the cost. "

one might also consider the additional weight of the 4X4 and any impact it may have on the Payload capacity for a vehicle as well as the length of the cab and the bed on a truck.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:26 AM   #85

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
faced the same decision as you when buying a new tug....thought picking the proper roads would suffice but the path forward is not always foreseen nor the weather even on good roads......as far as MPG was not sure what the hit is prior to purchase, but friends with similar truck said about 1 MPG hit when 4X4 not being used (and no trailer)..
could afford 4X4 and bought it as your last sentence is so true and perhaps more so when pulling a trailer
"since it only takes a single situation of requiring 4 wheel drive to make it worth the cost. "

one might also consider the additional weight of the 4X4 and any impact it may have on the Payload capacity for a vehicle as well as the length of the cab and the bed on a truck.
Note: 4x4 Tundra's have about 3200 lb more towing capacity than 2x4 Tundra's give or take depending on model.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #86

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Richard,
We have towed over 30,000 miles with our two 4WD vehicles and only used the 4WD once, last May 22 near Jasper, AB in about 5 inches of wet snow that we woke up to in the KOA there. I thought I'd probably need 4WD for wet grass in campgrounds or going to the distant campgrounds in Glacier N.P., but not really. Keep in mind that the tongue weight from the Escape is more than most people sand bag their 2WD pickups.
Having said all that, it's a personal choice and I'd have 4WD for future vehicles, too.
Others have commented that 2WD pickups, especially in Texas may be harder to find in the configuration you're after, unless you order. 2WD is cheaper to buy, but also sells for less later.
I always take a pretty heavy duty woven tow strap to help others, if I see anyone stuck, but have never used that while traveling, only near home or to pull out bushes.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #87

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Depends on what model level you at looking at. Most of the high end (Limited, Platinum) are 4 wheel drive. You will need to look at SR and SR5 (which are nice trucks) to find a 2 wheel drive. You loose 1 MPG with 4 wheel drive and its adds about $4000 to the price.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #88

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The Tundra 4.6 liter V8 suffers from the same problem as my Ram 1500 " LOUSY PAYLOAD CAPACITY "
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The few times I used my 4 wheel drive on the RAV4 while towing the trailer was IN campgrounds, not on undeveloped roads. A couple of times to avoid tearing up wet grass, and a couple of times starting on a steep gravel driveway.

With the truck, I have to admit I have had a great time exploring jeep trails!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #90

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
While I haven't used the 4x4 on our 2017 Tundra, I should have used it one day when pulling out of our steep driveway. Like Jon said, gravel and it was wet. Should have used it, but didn't. Mainly because I'm not used to reaching over to a knob on the dash. My FJ (and Trooper before that) has a separate gear shift lever and that's what I'm used to reaching for. By the time I remembered it wasn't a lever, I was on the street.

I'm thinking of going out and about today and if I do, I'll need it to get up the same driveway, which is now covered in snow.

Another thing to consider - what will you be doing with the truck when you're not pulling the trailer? You might be at a site for a while and find you need that extra umph when you're out zipping around. I, personally, will not purchase a vehicle without 4 wheel drive as there are times I need to use it.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #91

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So far, have used 4x4 twice while towing.

Once was an oddly cambered boondocking spot next to a boat launch, with some loose gravel in the mix. The other was a section of storm damaged gravel road with a gradient approaching double digits. The latter might have been questionable with 2WD, especially since I stopped to check damage mid-ascent.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #92

Trailer: New skool escape 21
2015 tundra limited 4x4 all the towing trinkets.
I am buying the 21ft w high axle.
What hitch drop/rise do I need to get? I am feeling that a WDH is overkill unless someone says otherwise?

Cheers
yxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #93

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd suggest an adjustable one, similar to this, so that you can fine tune the ideal height....MaxxTow Adjustable 2-Ball Mount - 2" Hitch - 6-1/4" Drop, 7-7/8" Rise - 12K MaxxTow Ball Mounts MT70380
Old 02-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by yxan View Post
What hitch drop/rise do I need to get? I am feeling that a WDH is overkill unless someone says otherwise?
I have a 2015 Tundra Limited 4x4 and towed my 21 home to Texas without a WDH. I have one but it was set up wrong and I didn't want to fix it on the road.

Just set the rise such that it is 21" from the top of the ball to the ground when measured with the truck level. (I have the high axle as well)
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:

Cheers
Ask ETI what the ball height should be with a highlift axle and that should let you figure what you will need.

Well I should read all the post first. Tom answered it above.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #96

Purchased a Tundra

We bought a Tundra today. We wanted the double cab with the 6.5 bed, 5.7L 4x4 in white. The dealer happened to have a Limited which met these requirements. They had ordered it for a customer who failed to pick it up and they had been unable to contact. Although this is a nicer truck than we had intended on buying, they gave us a good deal and we took the bait. Now we are waiting for our Escape to tow.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #97

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
We bought a Tundra today. We wanted the double cab with the 6.5 bed, 5.7L 4x4 in white. The dealer happened to have a Limited which met these requirements. They had ordered it for a customer who failed to pick it up and they had been unable to contact. Although this is a nicer truck than we had intended on buying, they gave us a good deal and we took the bait. Now we are waiting for our Escape to tow.
Congrats! That will be one sweet setup!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:

I have to adjust the height of our hitch ball if we carry a vastly heavier or lighter load. Our boat and motor are the big difference.

And I posted elsewhere how much better a tow it is using the WDH. There is more bounce or porpoising without it. Our Tundra is the smaller 2005 Access Cab model, but it has the same cargo capacity as the current Tundras. Even with the added weight I'll bet you the WDH makes for a smoother ride while towing.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #99

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post

And I posted elsewhere how much better a tow it is using the WDH. There is more bounce or porpoising without it. Our Tundra is the smaller 2005 Access Cab model, but it has the same cargo capacity as the current Tundras. Even with the added weight I'll bet you the WDH makes for a smoother ride while towing.
Bob K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is exactly my experience with the WHD. It takes out the bounce and makes the whole rig one unit. But if I'm going only 30 or 40 miles, I don't bother. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM   #100

Tundra back end sag with Escape 21

On our 4Runner I installed Timbren rear end rubber suspension enhancements to reduce the back end sag with the 420 lbs of our Casita hitch. Our Casita hitch is heavy because I carry a Honda 2000i generator on a metal box over the propane tanks. This probably adds 100lbs hitch weight. I'm planning on putting the same generator and metal box over the propane tanks on the Escape 21.
I'm wondering about the need for rear end suspension enhancements on the Tundra (without TRD). Does anyone add Timbren or some other suspension enhancement to their Tundra?