Towing in 4 wheel drive? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
JCZ

Towing in 4 wheel drive?

What are the laws in your state regarding towing, if your tow vehicle is a 4x4?

What are the laws here in Calif?

I don't do well with chains. :P

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Re: Towing in 4 wheel drive?

just out of curiousity where would you be towing that you would need 4wd and chains?

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
JCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac
just out of curiousity where would you be towing that you would need 4wd and chains?
Chains or 4x4 with snow tires required every winter over the passes that are open (half the passes are closed in the winter, due to snow). Sacramento is 25' above sea level but within 80 miles east you're up over 7,500'.

Mt. Rose Hwy., the highest year around pass over the Sierra Nevada mountain range is 8,260'.

The up side of living in Sacramento......the mountains just to the east of town, the Pacific ocean two hours west.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

You can snow ski in the morning and water ski in the afternoon. As far as the op's question, I'm not sure I'd like towing any sort of distance. I can see having to use 4 wheel if you get stuck. I guess it depends on the vehicle, I know Jeep has 2 kinds of 4 wheel, one is full time and one is part time. So using the full time should be acceptable but check your manual.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
JCZ

I'm sorry......I don't think I was communicating clearly.

I'm asking are there any laws that prohibit towing a trailer (the 5.0 in particular) when chains or 4x4 with snow tires are required?

In Calif. when the chains/4x4 restrictions are on, the speed limit is 35 mph. I'd also like to know if there are any laws like that in other states?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD

I know that so called all-season tires don't count as snow tires.. The law in most States and Provinces, You must have snow rated tires. and if your towing a trailer I would suspect that it must have snowy's as well. That is the only way to appease most insurance companies. Or they will find you at fault for one thing or another If you happen to spin out and do some damage.
BF Goodrich AT's is the only tire rated for rain and snow. Have you noticed how many light trucks use them.?
I don't know it they have trailer sizes. But it would be a good combo if doing some of season driving.
One note is, there not cheap and some times have balance issues. I'm on my 4Th set with different trucks and have had two tires that where unbalanceable.If you catch it early they will replace them. But watch out they put them on the rear axle so you don't notice till you first tire rotation. And then its trouble.So rotate early to find out.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 15-A

Hi there, in British Columbia there are no laws prohibiting using 4x4 to tow a trailer. Doing so will not damage the tow vehicle or the trailer. The trailer does not need snow tires as it does not provide traction to the tow vehicle.

In addition, there are no regulations prohibiting using chains while towing a trailer in snow conditions. If you go highway speed, you risk them coming off and damaging at the least, your quarter panels, if not injure someone. So slow speed only. Also if you have chains on and get out of the snow conditions you must take them off. Leaving them on on wet pavement will cause you to lose your braking and steering if you apply the brakes or accelerate too hard. It is also hard on the pavement and the vehicle.

So there you go in a nutshell.

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

If I need chains on the snow tires on my RAV 4.

I'm staying home. Or staying put.

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

I guess this a good example of we all have different situations to deal with, i have a 4wd truck and run michelin ltx at2's in the summer and nokian hakapilta studded in the winter, but i don't think i would ever tow my escape trailer in the winter as i wouldn't want the road salt any where near it. i do tow a enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter but thats a what it is for. I have never heard of any laws regarding this issue in alberta or bc. I do know that quebec does require winter tires on all cars and light duty trucks but not sure about trailers
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #10
JCZ

This is what I'm looking for and good info on BC. How about Colorado, Montanna, Idaho, Wyo in the winter months......any members can help out with the requirements for those states?

In Calif. anytime the "Chains or 4x4 with snow tires only, beyond this point" is out, the speed limit is 35 mph regardless of what's posted. Not saying that people don't drive faster.....I see it every winter......and see them in the ditch or over the side.

Also, if the tire has "M&S" on the side wall it qualifies as snow tire in Calif.

Another thing about California.....they can't use salt on the roads here.....just sand. So we don't have that to deal with.