Type of vehicle used to tow. - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I like those mirrors. I check, and they don't have extending or dual mirror for a Pilot, just the regular replacement. Too bad.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
My son just bought a new GMC Sierra 2500 that came with these mirrors. He thinks they're the cat's meow; it was one of the first things he pointed out to me when showing me the truck. I, too, checked but could find nothing for my old Ford 150.

Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD 17'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The truck is rear wheel, so not likely an issue. We were towing a 17B with a FWD Nissan Murano, and it was ok on most surfaces, however feel much safer with a 4WD Highlander now. What you can tow vs. what you should tow can be two different things.

TRUE!

If a factory tow package is not offered, There is a good reason.
So don't tow with it!

The manufacturers factor in the entire vehicle, not just the engine. Transmission, Engine, cooling, springs, struts, brakes, chassis, and other components, all factor in. And just because a given vehicle tows fine on flat ground, doesn't mean it will do the same in the mountains where air is thinner and horsepower is down.

Our Honda Fit is a fine vehicle for it's purpose, and a Prius even better, but I would not attempt to tow with either. We have been towing for 40+ years and have come to the conclusion to not skimp with the TV. Ours is rated at about 58-60% higher than our loaded trailer weight. Sometimes that is barely adequate to maintain posted speed on an 8% grade.

In the past, with 2wd and limited slip axle, we did manage to loose traction in something as simple as wet grass on a slight incline. Haven't had that problem with the 4WD TV.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I tow my 17ft Casita with a 6 cyl Honda Ridgeline and it tows beautifully without any special hitch configuration. The Ridgeline has a tow rating of 5,000 pounds giving us a high margin of safety. I expect the same smooth towing from the new 19 ft Escape we ordered. The Ridgeline has 4 wheel drive when needed and a wonderfully handy storage compartment below the bed for all manner of stuff. The only negative is 11-12 mpg under tow.
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape
Old 02-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think Kip has some great points about vehicle suitability, but one comment concerns me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip in Ga. View Post
Ours is rated at about 58-60% higher than our loaded trailer weight. Sometimes that is barely adequate to maintain posted speed on an 8% grade.
What are trailer owners expecting? Do they really expect to maintain their flat-ground cruising speed while climbing the steepest grades they will encounter on a typical mountain highway? Just to elevate the weight of a fully loaded Escape 17 up an 8% grade at the 110km/h (68 mph) speed limit of BC's Coquihalla highway takes an additional 33 kW (44 hp) beyond the requirement to keep it moving against mechanical and aerodynamic drag... and a greater amount to elevate the tug's greater weight. You can do that, but you'll need that 300 hp engine and should expect that high fuel consumption.

When towing the trailer I maintain a reasonable speed up grades, enough to pass the big trucks when there is a lane to do so, but often less than my flat-ground cruising speed. I need higher engine speed than typical cruising, but I'm still not using all of the available engine speed or power. The tug easily meets my expectations.

There seems to be a tendency in this sort of discussion to confuse performance and safety. It is not unsafe or unreasonable to slow down somewhat while climbing hills. When climbing those grades I've noticed how many of the big commercial trucks maintain the speed limit, even when running empty: absolutely none. They would need - for my example grade and speed and a modest 30-ton load - about 1500 hp... nothing on the road comes close to that, 1/3 of that is great, and many make do with less.

Reliability and stability are important; every owner needs to decide whether or not the rig is expected to compete in hillclimb races.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 AM   #37

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Brian, out of curiosity, is there a formula for hp loss on grades? I found one for altitude loss but not grade.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Who needs a tow vehicle at all? Check out this trailer mod. Reace, how about this?
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #39

Trailer: 2002 Casita SD 17'
Ellentob,

We too tow a 17' Casita SD with an '09 Ridgeline. We tow at 57ish mph. On the North Ga rolling hills, We generally average in the 15-17 mpg range.

Differences in your fuel mileage and mine may be the speed we travel. Or the terrain. Although one trip from south of Montgomery Ala to home the mileage dipped to 13ish due to a head wind.

Interesting enough, I've talked to a bunch of "Egg" owners that tow with V8s and they claim about the same mpg as I do, towing. But lower than the RL when not towing.

We do enjoy the RL. And that trunk under the bed, and side swinging tailgate, and wonderful ride work fine for us. We (I) have been giving serious consideration to an Escape 19.

We are headed to the GE&H rally in Montgomery next month. Hope there are some Escapes there for us to see.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Kip, there will be at least 8 Escapes here in April 7th Annual Eggscursion April 24-27, 2014 Townsend, TN
if you can wait that long?