Weight of 19 Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Brian, if the 19ft dual batteries are placed inside the optional storage box, couldn't one or two 20 lb propane tank(s) sit in the box as the batteries are inside under the dinette bench ? Will they fit ?
I assume that you are asking if the propane tanks can be in the storage box of your 21' since in that model (and every model of Escape other than the 19') the batteries are elsewhere.

Yes, other than the fit problems which Jim described. It would be an improvement for tongue weight, turning clearance, and propane tank protection, but the box is sort of shoehorned into the space available between the body and the stock propane tank location, so I'm not surprised that the stock propane tanks won't fit.

Of course ventilation is required, but this is not a problem. Every motorhome, almost every slide-in truck camper, and the vast majority of fifth-wheel trailers (including the Escape 5.0 and 5.0TA) have propane tanks in compartments; in many cases, there is no floor in the compartment, and there is always some upper ventilation as well. Separation from electrical hardware is also obviously wise.

Also, compartments containing propane tanks are not locked (typically do not have locks installed), apparently to ensure access in case of an emergency. This is a good reason not to combine a propane compartment with other storage, since the other stuff would then not be locked.

You could put a differently sized and shaped propane tank in the Escape storage box. I suspect that a forklift cylinder might fit, but that would be a more major project and access would be awkward. A couple of 11-pound cylinders would probably fit, but they're expensive, have only 55% of the capacity of the stock tanks, and they can't be exchanged for full (if you ever want or need to use one of the ripoff tank exchange services ).

You could certainly make (or have made) a custom tongue-mounted box which extends further forward on the tongue and nicely fits a pair of 20-pound propane tanks, with the tanks against the back of the box.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #12

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Good advice from both of you.
Was wondering why its not common practice.
Thank you.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

Trailer: None
Propane lock

One of the not so funny tricks that the local kids like to play is to wait till a 20 below zero night , and then turn off the propane running to people's cabins . My neighbor thinking he would out smart the kids, put a lock on the valve cover of the tank. Unfortunately , when the propane guy came to fill the tank one winter's day it was locked ,so he left without filling the tank . I'll let you figure out what happened.
Sometimes you just can't win !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
I'm not home from the rally yet but will be in about an hour. I'll look up the post I sent to Jon and post it. On Jon Vermilye's trailer weights in the real
World our Escape is the second or third heaviest one. Works for us with the Highlander. Essentials are essentials. 2'cases of beer,'case of water and two cases of pop. 4 bottles of syrup, etc. Got that nice all purpose screwdriver at the rally so might take a couple out,
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #15

Our 19' loaded for a long 4 week trip comes in at about 3800# with a tongue weight of 440#. We have dual 6 volt batteries, front storage box, and an air conditioner. Food, beverages, and other camping stuff make up the rest. Each trip is different as we load up items we require for that trip.
Mountain Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:23 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Essentials are essentials. 2'cases of beer,'case of water and two cases of pop. 4 bottles of syrup, etc.
Dave
Always nice to see a guy that's got his priorities sorted out.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Always nice to see a guy that's got his priorities sorted out.

Ron
Hi: Ron in BC... Iowa Dave forgot to list 2lbs. of thick cut bacon also. Alf p.s. This is what ya'll can do with last nights campfire. Stir it up...and wait for the "Sizzle".
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010499.jpg (328.2 KB, 14 views)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #18

I promised to post our weights once I got home. Me about 310, Rita classified. Now for real.
On May 4 I loaded the trailer (2010 19)and 2012 Highlander like we do when we're ready to head out for a rally. I went to the quarry and weighed the whole modern combination. 8,860 lbs. Then I unhitched and weighed just the loaded Highlander. Once home I disconnected and checked the tongue weight at dead level which is where I tow.
Here's the numbers
Highlander 5180lbs.
2 passengers 40 lb. Brittany and kennel.
Weber Q and accessories
Cooler with 48 1/2 liter bottles of
Water and 2 lbs Slab Bacon
1 case beer ( all I had at the minute)
Misc blankets, first Aid Kit etc

Escape 19
3680 lbs.
Solar, AC, WDH hooked up
dual Sixes in front box
16 gallons of water.
Propane full ( two tanks)
Grey and black empty
Also in front box X chocks, 8 ft of 2X6, chocks, misc set up gear 2 spare 1 lb propane

Tongue weight 450 lbs
That's the way it is and that's the way it will stay. 6,000 miles last three weeks, no sway no porpoising Tire pressure. 48 PSI
Hope this helps. I usually drive about 62 mph but creep up a little on the flats.
IOWA Dave
Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Very similar numbers to ours Dave. We were a little heavier this morning because the fresh water tank hadn't had a drop in it until today - didn't boondock until now. There was no difference in how it felt towing, despite the additional 225 lbs from the full tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #20

Robert,
I wouldn't have guessed you at 310. You'd be a cinch to win at the carnival.
Dave