What size can I tow with FJ cruiser? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Re: What size can I tow with FJ cruiser?

After some consideration and questions asked on both this forum and the FJ Cruiser forum, we made a decision to go ahead with the purchase of a 19'. I have no doubts that the FJ will be a suitable TV for this trailer.

Here is a photo I found of an FJ towing a load that is probably a bit heavier than the 19'. (Not that I would do such a thing with mine).

I will know better next spring how an FJ does with the 19'.
cheers
dave

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud
Hi, Elizabeth! Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the numbers, if you load your Cruiser to what is allowed, and you load a 19' to the common 3800 or so, you would be overweight. The 5000 lb. towing capacity is very misleading because you have to subtract whatever you put in the TV besides the driver. If you put 1100 pounds in the Cruiser, for instance, the towing capacity becomes 3900 lbs. So the 5000 lbs. is not really your towing capacity. Different cars and trucks have the numbers figured in various ways. Some people need to subtract while others do not. You are required to subtract with a Cruiser. When you look at your numbers closely, you will see how that works.

Some people have their 19's loaded to 4000 and some even over but then there are those who might be at only 3600. I would use the higher numbers because they are apparently more common from weighings we have seen lately.

If your Cruiser only had another 700-800 pounds, you would have a little leeway but not that much. It is a good idea to become very familiar with the numbers yourself so that you realize exactly what capacities you have and what your situation includes.

A helpful exercise might be to load up the car with whatever you expect to have when towing, including gas, and weigh the TV at a truck scale. You might add another 200-300 pounds for everything you probably forgot or will want in the future. Then see where you are. It depends on your personal situation as well as your comfort level as far as which trailer you tow. Your GVWR could be in the door jamb. If you need more help, we are here.

Actually this is not correct. You are confusing gross carry capacity with towing capacity. Your tongue weight is used to determine what your FJ can carry. As long as it is below the 500# limit of the FJ you will be fine, in addition since both the 19' and 17' are both below the 5000# towing capacity, that limit is fine. I just purchased a new FJ to replace my Jeep Liberty as a tow vehicle. The FJ is much better sued for towing than the Liberty was. You will be fine with the FJ and any Escape. Good luck

Old 10-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

Might not be the best choice with the 5.0
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Actually this is not correct. You are confusing gross carry capacity with towing capacity. Your tongue weight is used to determine what your FJ can carry. As long as it is below the 500# limit of the FJ you will be fine, in addition since both the 19' and 17' are both below the 5000# towing capacity, that limit is fine. I just purchased a new FJ to replace my Jeep Liberty as a tow vehicle. The FJ is much better sued for towing than the Liberty was. You will be fine with the FJ and any Escape. Good luck
Yep.. (jim) is right ONLY the tongue weight is used in the cargo capacity of the tow vehicle.. also if you use a WDH it distributes the tongue over the 3 axles.. so effectively allowing more cargo capacity as well..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote