What to tow a 19' with? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #71

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
As I understand it, airbags won't transfer weight to the front wheels, where it is needed. They just stiffen the rear suspension.
True, but they can still be very handy, and make the tug better able to handle tongue weights within the vehicle's rated capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't see air bags as an alternative to WDH for vehicles like my RAV4 that, while four wheel drive, run mostly in front wheel drive.
My tug is strictly front wheel drive, and I don't use WDH. I'll note, though, that my van has longer wheelbase than a RAV4, or even a Pilot, so it is less affected by hitch weight. I would check the axle loads and see if there is a rear axle overload problem to fix, or if traction is such a problem that a small front axle load increase is worth pursuing, before considering WD.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
I will just drop this here.
From Page 7
http://www.firestoneip.com/site-reso...11_Catalog.pdf
I have them on my Tacoma...
While Ride-Rite is the right Firestone air spring for a Tacoma (or other leaf-spring suspension), the product for a Pilot (which has coil springs) is the Coil-Rite - found in the same catalog. Although the Coil-Rite runs lower air pressure and so cannot support as much load, it should be lots for something like a Pilot towing an Escape 19'.

Coil-Rites are popular among people towing with some vehicles which have enough capacity, but are softer in the rear than desired... such as our Sienna

Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #73

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While Ride-Rite is the right Firestone air spring for a Tacoma (or other leaf-spring suspension), the product for a Pilot (which has coil springs) is the Coil-Rite - found in the same catalog. The Coil-Rite runs lower air pressure and so cannot support as much load, it should be lots for something like a Pilot towing an Escape 19'.

Coil-Rites are popular among people towing with some vehicles which have enough capacity, but are softer in the rear than desired... such as our Sienna
My point Brian was they do not increase load capacity as was suggested earlier on in postings, while the ride rite is not the correct model for the vehicle in question if you check all of the styles none will increase the load capacity of a vehicle.

Cypher
Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 AM   #74

It looks like Steve's Pilot siutation is well on the way to being worked out.
Sometimes "it takes a village"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
... it is not bent enough to replace the assembly. All the welds are also fine
Good to hear. A relatively small angle can substantially affect WD force, and matters very little to a plain ball hitch, so the tilt angle might be small enough to not matter.

I think Russ makes a good point, which should be carefully considered.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
My point Brian was they do not increase load capacity as was suggested earlier on in postings, while the ride rite is not the correct model for the vehicle in question if you check all of the styles none will increase the load capacity of a vehicle.
Agreed!
I use Coil-Rites, but still stay within both the rear axle rating and the hitch load rating.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:53 AM   #76

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Ok I'm confused I bought a Toyota highlander 2009 with tow package to pull a used 17b with a WDH not sure is this right or should I just pull with a straight bumper hitch ?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #77

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I would have a class III hitch receiver installed ( which is what you need to employ a WDH ) if you don't already have it. You don't have to use the WDH, but you will probably find the ride is more comfortable and feel more secure with the WDH than without.
The hitch receiver is what accepts the WDHitch, or a standard "bumper pull" hitch.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #78

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Ok I'm confused I bought a Toyota highlander 2009 with tow package to pull a used 17b with a WDH not sure is this right or should I just pull with a straight bumper hitch ?
Its confusing because of the ambiguity from the manufacturers. A member of another forum asked Toyota whether or not a wdh could be used on the 2009 Highlander, and here's what they replied with:

"Your 2009 Highlander Owner's Manual does not recommend against a weight distributing hitch."

Recommend against? Sheesh!

I'm thinking that if the manufacturer does not specifically state that a wdh should NOT be used, and if ETI recommends using it, then do it. The rest may fall into the fertilizer category.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 AM   #79

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Just to clarify, there is not bumper hitch for the Highlander. Either it's the OEM bolt-on or an after market. When you pick up your new Escape, Reace can advise you if an WDH is needed or not.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:43 AM   #80

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16' SOLD , 2008 Airstream 19'
My '99 Jeep Wrangler is suspended with air bags only, no steel springs. The suspension is controlled by a computer that maintains a previously programed ride height. There is a high volume belt driven compressor that keeps a small tank at pressure to supply the demands of the system. It can correct ride height actively constantly correcting, or only when the vehicle passes through a certain preset speed. With the Scamp on the back the rear bags typically have about 40psi. in them to maintain level ride. While airbags may not increase a vehicles load carrying rating they can certainly do the same as adding stiffer springs to that vehicle. Other components were beefed up also. Massive cromoly tubing control arms, panhard rods, steering rods, cromoly axles, etc. Wranglers are only rated at 1500 lbs towing, and I have no idea how much mine can safely carry, but it has been beefed up somewhat. I also added 4 wheel disc brakes and heavy duty aluminum cross flow radiator.
Most people wouldn't feel comfortable modifying their new Highlander or Pilot to that extent, but it can't hurt to give them a little help where needed.
Russ

ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote