Would you tow Escape 19 with a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: None yet
Would you tow Escape 19 with a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T?

Yes, this is the short wheelbase version, but equipped with the 2.0 turbo engine.

This engine has more torque than the V6 equipped on the new LWB version of Santa Fe which is now rated for 5000lb.

This variation is only rated to tow up to 3500lb but the Escape recommends 4000lb. The dry weight starts at around 2500lb so by the time you add more options and your own stuff, I will probably get to 3500lb level pretty quickly.

Payload rating appears to be plenty, at 1400lb+.

We will only be able to use the trailer max. 2 weeks at a time and most trips will be 1 week long. We only have 4 weeks of vacation per year to work with, so it will be these trips plus some weekenders. This probably means we wont be carrying a lot of stuff in the trailer.

I am sort of set to buy either 2013 Santa Fe LWB V6 or 2013 Highlander V6. But since we are only towing 4 weeks per year, I'm trying to see if I can do with a smaller vehicle. We rarely use the rear seats, never-mind the 3rd row which I will end up getting if I get these V6 crossovers.

yhbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
God forbid if you have an accident, you may have a legal mess on your hands. Check with your insurance company. You may be better off renting a vehicle that is within the specifications, if as you say it is only being used 4 weeks a year. The website does not show any towing spec's, just 19" wheels, front wheel drive and cvt type transmission. Nice car but doesn't appear suitable for towing. The v-6 states it can tow 5000, why not that?
Also a possibility Escape may not sell you a 19' knowing you are exceeding the limits, they asked me what my tow was right away.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
God forbid if you have an accident, you may have a legal mess on your hands. Check with your insurance company. You may be better off renting a vehicle that is within the specifications, if as you say it is only being used 4 weeks a year.
Is it still illegal if the actual weight of the trailer is below 3500lb?

But as I mentioned before, I am more a less set to get crossovers that can handle 5000lb. I'm just looking at other (less likely) options to see if it is feasible.

I am set on buying a crossover of somekind for my daily needs so there's no point getting a rental. I might as well get something that can pull the trailer in the first place.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Team

They go by gross trailer weight, what the maximum allowed weight is, which is 4000 lbs. not the actual weight of the trailer. Just like your tires, they have to be rated for the maximum speed of the vehicle, not just if you promise to keep it at 55 mph.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
They go by gross trailer weight, what the maximum allowed weight is, which is 4000 lbs. not the actual weight of the trailer. Just like your tires, they have to be rated for the maximum speed of the vehicle, not just if you promise to keep it at 55 mph.
I see. So the 3500lb vehicles are out of the question in that case. Oh well.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Again this is just my opinion, you do not have to listen to it. It is just some information you can choose to follow or ignore. The 2.0 looks like a nice car.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Quote:
The website does not show any towing spec's, just 19" wheels, front wheel drive and cvt type transmission. Nice car but doesn't appear suitable for towing. The v-6 states it can tow 5000, why not that?
Also a possibility Escape may not sell you a 19' knowing you are exceeding the limits, they asked me what my tow was right away.
Didn't see this part of the message before.

If you equip it properly, you can get a version that has 4WD, a 2.0T engine with 264HP and 269lb torque, 184.6-inch wheelbase (Highlander has 188.4-inch), and is officially rated for 3500lb. The engine is obviously up to its task but who knows where is the weakest link.

I was thinking of this because I'm trying to get the smallest (and the most economical vehicle) while still being able to handle the trailer. LWB version seems to be plenty, but the SWB version appears to be just a bit shy of what Escape 19 demands, even though it has enough engine to handle it.

So that's a good point on the Escape potentially not selling me a trailer with the SWB version...
Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Ditto what Jim says. Any vehicle rated 3500 or 3600 towing capacity is insufficient for a 19'. That 4000, well, I can't think of any vehicle being used to tow a 19' that is rated a mere 4000 either. Maybe someone out there has one.

I take it you don't want the long-wheelbased version which would be sufficient. Or maybe you are considering that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
Site Team

Why not the Escape 17'? you would be ok with that combo!
Old 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
yhbae, I just went through this same process. I ended up with a Nissan Frontier. Not the best for fuel economy, but cheaper up front to make up for it. Not suitable if you need to seat more than 2 people, though. Other cross-overs you might want to look at: Nissan Pathfinder, Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse. None of them are small vehicles, though. As far as I could see, there are no small vehicles sold today rated to tow 4000lbs.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2012 Nissan Frontier
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote