Cleaning Maxx fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Cleaning Maxx fan

Has anyone taken the Maxx fan apart from the inside to clean it? Is that possible? Can't exactly get on the roof to clean it and can't get it worth a darn from a ladder.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Easy to do from inside.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
How do you get to the underside of the cover? I've removed the screen and cleaned that, and cleaned the fan fins one at a time from inside.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

Me, too, and could not do a very good job and could not get to most of it which really needs it.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How do you get to the underside of the cover? I've removed the screen and cleaned that, and cleaned the fan fins one at a time from inside.
Remove the screen. Then, remove the single nut holding the fan blade on. Clean the blade in the sink. With the blade removed access to the cover is easy. Lubricate moving parts of the hinges while in there.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 5.0
FYI. Last spring I used a hair blow dryer to blow loose long stringing oak tree pollen "thingies" that were caught. Didn't have to disassemble for this particular job.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:23 PM   #7

Tim and Julie, thanks for that. I was hesitant to do that and then perhaps have a problem with re-assembly such that it would not run the same. So I will do it since you have.

Trees, I also used a hair dryer up there to get debris out and it really worked.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Tim and Julie, thanks for that. I was hesitant to do that and then perhaps have a problem with re-assembly such that it would not run the same. So I will do it since you have.

Trees, I also used a hair dryer up there to get debris out and it really worked.
You do have to keep track of which side of the fan is down and there is a small washer you need to look out for and remember where it goes. I tried cleaning without removing and couldn't believe how much dirt/ dust I missed. I will add this to annual maintenance.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees View Post
FYI. Last spring I used a hair blow dryer to blow loose long stringing oak tree pollen "thingies" that were caught. Didn't have to disassemble for this particular job.
Hi: Trees... You really have to watch out for those "Oak tree pollen Thingies". They're just as bad as "Dust bunnies". I got smart and used my leaf blower from the garage. I blew the bunnies so far they still haven't made it home yet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

Here is a copy of the post I did on removing the entire fan. While not something I would do every year, I think I will do it every other year. Couldn't believe the dirt that was up in there after a couple of years. This is a relatively easy job and easier after the first time because you will put quick disconnects on the wires. Was in response to someone thinking they had to remove the frame on the roof, which is NOT necessary.

Directions:
Ok, you say it is the frame, but do you mean the frame that is attached to the fiberglass? This is just an insert and does nothing but hold the fan in place. The lid is replaceable or the entire fan.

Procedure: remove the trim piece on the inside. Fish the power and ground wires out and clip them. You will want to put male/female quick connects on these for the future to make work on the fan easier. Raise the lid to full upright position. Go outside and on each side of the fan you will find two screws. Remove them on both sides (This is all that holds the entire fan to the trailer.)

Go back inside and gently push up on the fan to loosen it. The foam wants to hold and it is easier to push from the bottom. When free, go back outside and grab the fan and lift straight out of the hole.

Take to your work bench to replace the lid, or insert a new fan (say one with the remote and the smoke cover.) A new Maxx Air will fit in the older frame. The frame on the trailer is what is screwed and caulked in place. As I said, it is unlikely that this is what was damaged.

Removal of the fan is now how I clean it once a year or every other depending on how dirty it is. It is much easier to remove it than to try and drop the screen and clean it while it is on the trailer. Reinstall in reverse order.

Other than paying for either a new fan or lid, very easy job.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Hey Tim,

Thanks for posting this and thanks to Donna D for helping us find this thread. Dang, this is not easy. We just did the part from the inside and washed everything. The hard part is reaching up through the 'spokes' to wash the inside of the lid. After a little over 3 1/2 yrs and thousands of miles it was very dirty! Looks 100% better - I think if we ever replace it we will get the smoke cover - probably wouldn't show the dirt like the white one.

Kathie (and Dave, whose out under the trailer lubricating the jacks).

PS Tim and Julie - we've missed you at the last couple NOG's, hope all is well and hope to see you soon!
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote