Honda EU2000i and Dometic Penguin A/C with SmartStart - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So I'm a bit confused-nothing new. We have a 2000w Yamaha generator that we got 2 years ago, but never used. With either the 19' or the 21' A/C, can that be used? Meaning does the current A/C have that starter thing that would allow the generator to run the A/C without killing either? Thanks as always.
The current Dometic Ac units in Escape TT's have a soft start capacitor and not the Dometic SmartStart solid state system. A 2000 generator is marginal for power the AC even with all other electronics turned off . If you hear the AC struggle you may damage it and wear it out prematurely.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #52

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Cookin' a steak on propane is like puttin' ketchup on poutine!

Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #53

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
The current Dometic Ac units in Escape TT's have a soft start capacitor and not the Dometic SmartStart solid state system. A 2000 generator is marginal for power the AC even with all other electronics turned off . If you hear the AC struggle you may damage it and wear it out prematurely.
This is sound advice. If you must have a generator to run your AC, go with something adequate to the task.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #54
rfs

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Rbryan, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have found that over the years trying to get by on a marginal combination of equipment components leads to anxiety that is unnecessary when for a little more money you can King Kong the situation. I know weights and size and costs are all valid considerations but in my old age I just tend to save till I have the bucks and when I go, I go first boat. One of my arborists
used to say " if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when you gonna find time to do it the second time?" I live by that a lot of times.
Dave
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #55

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Rbryan, I think you hit the nail on the head. I have found that over the years trying to get by on a marginal combination of equipment components leads to anxiety that is unnecessary when for a little more money you can King Kong the situation. I know weights and size and costs are all valid considerations but in my old age I just tend to save till I have the bucks and when I go, I go first boat. One of my arborists
used to say " if you don't have time to do it right the first time, when you gonna find time to do it the second time?" I live by that a lot of times.
Dave
Corollary...my father used to say "Never enough money to do it right the first time, but funny how people find the money when it needs to be redone".

Bob
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
We use a Yamaha 2400 to run the AC in our 21 and have never had an issue. Running it on line AC, it appears to draw about 14 Amps according to the power monitoring display in our trailer.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:56 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
We use a Yamaha 2400 to run the AC in our 21 and have never had an issue. Running it on line AC, it appears to draw about 14 Amps according to the power monitoring display in our trailer.
Tom
That is consistent with a discussion we had on this same topic on this forum about 1-1/2 yrs ago. If I was to seriously consider a generator to power the AC, I would also go with the Yamaha 2400.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote