How To Winterize a Trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Re: How To Winterize a Trailer

And, I have to buy a bigger house to accommodate all my tools.

baglo
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #22

Trailer: '07 17B

I'm just rereading this in preparation for doing mine. Just wondering if it's really necessary to cover the tires for the winter, i mean i don't think there is that much UV rays coming at you in the winter, so what's the purpose?
Oh, and also, is there any chance of getting this thread moved over to FAQ's (or Documents)? it might be easier to find there after a while...........Gary
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

Well we (and I use the term loosely as Doug did most of the work!) winterized the trailer today and put it to bed for the winter..

NO blowing out of the lines...just drained really well and poured the antifreeze in all the proper areas... Drained hot water tank and white water was drained quite awhile ago.

Doug used the "fancy wand" to really clean out the tanks well and get the sensors all clean...Just drained the stuff into a bucket and flushed down the toilet...

I opened all the doors on the inside--made the bed back to a table and the cushions and seats are all propped up a bit so air can get in underneath..

Washed out the fridge, walls (from killing bugs) and floor (as though it will stay clean!) Bathroom was scoured on the last trip after the last shower!! (First time I had tried the shower and was impressed!)

We had a huge "van cover" from Princess Auto from when we were painting the Boler (after we sanded it all clean and washed it, it needed to be protected.) So after washing the exterior , (simple green works great on trhe black streaks) we put the cover on.

Side windows are open a smidge and the bathroom vent is open a smidge. Cover only covers just past the "belly band" The back spare tire etc area is totally covered. We used some rope to tie it in place so a good breeze won't rip it off.. It does billow a bit at the top..

We have a "stor dry" unit that we will use when the temperature drops. Will also use a heater with a thermostat if it gets cold enough as we are plugged in to the house as usual.

Battery is in the house and the tires are blocked and covered... We always cover the tires all year round as it protects them from delightful animals "marking" their territory!! (again learnt with the Boler)

Its too bad to have to put it away for the year, but the next few weekends are taken up with other stuff..
It was a GREAT first year and I know we learned a lot this year.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

I am still unsure of how much I need to do to winterize my trailer. First of all, we'll be camping over Thanksgiving (we go up to Shore Acres State Park in Oregon to see the holiday lights display) so I can't see doing anything before then.

Second, we live on the coast in northern California and while we get frost often in the winter, we rarely approach freezing.

Month Low High
Nov 43.9°F 58.0°F
Dec 40.6°F 55.1°F
Jan 40.8°F 55.0°F
Feb 41.8°F 55.9°F
Mar 42.2°F 56.1°F

So I was wondering if, after our camping trip in November, I need to do much more than drain the freshwater, gray, black and hot water tanks.

Does anyone have an opinion or advice?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: cheryls... If you don't have a hard freeze there I would only drain the tanks as you suggest. It takes a few days of sub 32*f/ 0*c to freeze up the drain pipes. An electric heater on a timer/ extension cord would help if thats possible. We're on about the same latitude but our winter temps are more up and down. We have 2 seasons here Winter and Construction!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Thanks Alf
Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

I'm with Alf, at those temps you just have to protect from the occassional cold spell. I would keep the ceramic heater in the camper to protect the inside water lines (checking often to be sure the fuse hasn't tripped, and the heater is on), drain the black, gray, and fresh water tanks and water heater (since it essentially is outside). Drop some pink stuff (RV antifreeze) down the black and gray tanks (to protect the outlets under the camper) and the "p" traps of the sinks and shower. All of those are outside, so need protection. In that scenerio, if you want to take off somewhere, all you need do is redirect the hot water bypass, and fill it, and put some water in your fresh water tank (if you were going somewhere that didn't have water - if not, leave it empty). All the rest will be flushed out when you dump! Enjoy some winter camping!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

We think we have winterized but I see a little bit of difference in the older instructions from what we have. Here are some photos for newbies.
Someone can correct this if incorrect, please.

We drained the fresh water tank by turning the valve on the tank on the right in photo.
We drained the low point drain by removing the black plug at the end of the white tubing.
Held open toilet valve ten seconds and opened all of the taps.

We removed the screen from the city water fill and pushed on the white valve inside to release some water there. Put back the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010111.jpg   P1010115.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I'm not sure what your question is.

baglo

Old 10-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #30

Then we removed the anode from the hot water tank. Didn't have the 1 1/16" socket wrench handy when last at a campground so unfortunately we did not flush out the tank as we can't do that at storage. Hope it can wait. Put back the anode with new teflon tape.

Also ran the water pump for ten seconds.
We left the taps open.

Put RV/Marine anti-freeze in toilet, kitchen sink and shower as in the latest instructions.
They did not say to do the bath sink. Or to leave some in the toilet bowl. Are we supposed to do those too? Will have to go get some more anti-freeze maybe. We only put it where the later instructions said.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010102.jpg   P1010092.jpg  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Cathy, sounds like you did everything fine. I would add a the antifreeze to the sink drain too, as the trap there has water in it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #32

Okay, Jim, will do. Couldn't remember if someone said that the sink trap was down with the shower trap which is why they left out the sink lately but then I might be imagining that. Also, our bath vent leaks so tried covering it with plastic but don't know if that will keep water out. If not, it will go down the shower drain with the anti-freeze.
Thank you.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #33

To add to the above posts on what is needed to winterize:

We had the toilet valve crack from having water in the bottom of the valve. We are not the only ones who have had this happen. The toilet leaked like crazy in the spring when we were about to leave on our first trip of the year. We could not go anywhere until it was fixed because any water in the fresh water tank went to the toilet and down the shower drain. Cost us over $100 to have the valve replaced.

We were told that none of the instructions would have addressed that. We now have the kit with tube and will close the valve to bypass the hot water tank before running anti-freeze into the lines. We will not put anti-freeze into the fresh water tank, however, as that is supposedly not needed. We'll see.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
Need some help with winterizing

HI All! Started the winterizing process for Bailey today.... bypassed and drained hot water tank, no problem, reinstalled plug with new tape. Had ETI install a valve and hose to water pump for easy winterizing.... but I think they put the valve in backwards... all my antifreeze is going into the fresh water tank not to the pump - isn't it supposed to go to pump? Help!
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #35

Picture of Bailey's winterizing valve

The pink antifreeze going from bottle to tank not to pump!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2582.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
If you position the lever so it points toward the right, does that shut off the flow from the antifreeze? Hopefully someone who has one of these that works correctly can have some input here for you.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It may be in backwards, my valve is on the inside and it pulls from the bottle to the pump. Is it accessible to reinstall?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBioGirl View Post
.... but I think they put the valve in backwards... all my antifreeze is going into the fresh water tank not to the pump - isn't it supposed to go to pump? Help!
Yes, a quick winterizing connection is normally between the pump and the tank, and the antifreeze is supposed to go to the pump. I think you have this figured out.

Those diverter valves usually have just two positions:
  1. in one position, flow goes straight through the valve, and the right-angled connection is shut off (this is usually used for normal operation);
  2. in the other position (shown in the photo), flow goes between the right-angled connection (on top in the photo) and one side of the straight run (left in the photo), while the other side of the straight run is shut off (this is usually used to suck up antifreeze, or in the water heater case to bypass the heater).
If we have this right, it is backwards and re-installing the valve with the two straight-through connections reversed will fix it - reverse left and right as shown in the photo. Unfortunately, those look like crimped connection, (which are light, compact, and reliable... but are a pain to change. My guess is that it would be easier to cut out and discard the valve than to fix the installation. This means replacing it with either the same design crimped in the right way, or with a valve that has screw-on fittings that don't need a crimper.

I do have a question, though...
The pump wouldn't draw in the antifreeze if the valve isn't connected right. You can push the antifreeze in with an external pump, but you wouldn't need that external pump if you have this connection to the plumbing on the intake (tank) side of the pump. How are you getting the antifreeze in? (hand-pumping?)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
FishBioGirl,
Under normal condition, are you able to pump water from fresh water tank to faucets? If you can, you may be able to go a long route to winterize your pumbing system. Let two gallons of the pink antifreeze going from bottle to fresh water tank, shut off the valve to the bottle, and then pump the pink antifreeze from the fresh water tank through the pump to all water outlets.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 AM   #40

Tommy LR -
That maybe the route to go for this year as I don't have time to fix it now. I will talk with ETI today.
Thanks all!
Kris