Spring Battery Condition - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Spring Battery Condition

Just a quick follow up, couldn’t find the original thread on whether to pull the batteries for winter storage.

208 days in covered unheated storage with no hook ups. Had a handful of nights where the temperature dropped down -20 degrees Fahrenheit with many weeks of subzero, single and double digit temps.

Trailer was put to bed for the winter with fully charged dual six volt batteries and the 12 volt switch turned off. Upon picking the trailer up the Victron BMV-700 showed the battery voltage at 12.32 or 70%. I forgot to turn off the Victron blue tooth dongle so had that parasitic draw all winter.

Scott and Lori
I really like bicycles.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Great news! I too parked my trailer with fully-charged dual 6-volt batteries and winterized on Oct. 14, 2017. Battery switch OFF, no parasite draws. Picked up on April 22, 2018... not a LOT of below freezing weather over the winter in PDX (thank goodness) and the batteries were at 12.78. I was a happy camper! Checked both batteries for water and added 'some,' no plates exposed. But that's part of spring maintenance. (except the lid came off the distilled water squeeze bottle and made a mess!)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Great news! I too parked my trailer with fully-charged dual 6-volt batteries and winterized on Oct. 14, 2017. Battery switch OFF, no parasite draws. Picked up on April 22, 2018... not a LOT of below freezing weather over the winter in PDX (thank goodness) and the batteries were at 12.78. I was a happy camper! Checked both batteries for water and added 'some,' no plates exposed. But that's part of spring maintenance. (except the lid came off the distilled water squeeze bottle and made a mess!)
Yeah, it was nice not having to pull and reinstall those batteries. My previous camper had two group 24 12 volts that the winter would kill. I was kind of skeptical but now I'm a believer. Have a great summer! Scott

Scott and Lori
Bikes are FUN!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 05:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
You too! I just know I don't have the strength to pull those big heavy batteries. They'll either survive a winter or they won't. I know a lot of people find pleasure in talking about how old their batteries are... good for them. I have a zero balance AMEX card which is cheaper than a hospital stay due to throwing my back out (back surgery patient here). I worry and fix the things I can, and willingly pay for the things I can't. Be adaptable is my motto now!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote